The Burford Branch

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Mark Tatlow

Re: The Burford Branch

Postby Mark Tatlow » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:55 pm

The views inside the train shed are really fabulous Martin!

But one problem; not only have the pickeys knicked the chairs, they have gone off with the ballast too.

Whatever will they take next?
Mark Tatlow

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:09 pm

But one problem; not only have the pickeys knicked the chairs, they have gone off with the ballast too.

Well if you have EM gauge flanges!!!!

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:30 pm

Are most of the pictures upside down for anyone else?
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:35 pm

jim s-w wrote:Are most of the pictures upside down for anyone else?

See Martin's post of 26th at 08:56am. (post 37922)
Although they come out right on my PC.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:03 pm

They're the right way up on my Macs as well. Lovely work Martin.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:22 pm

[The issue discussed in the comments above has now (June 2020) been resolved. Sorry it took me so long to tackle the problem.]

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:But one problem; not only have the pickeys knicked the chairs, they have gone off with the ballast too.

Well if you have EM gauge flanges!!!!

Yes. Guilty as charged, I'm afraid.

In fact, as soon as I saw the photos on the screen, I decided that I really must get a round tuit, and add rail chairs and ballast to the track. There's no excuse - it's been like that for ages, and testing and minor adjustments to the track have long since been finished.

(Incidentally, I did take the precaution of putting some MJT cast rail chairs on a piece of test track some time ago to ensure that EM wheel flanges would not bump on them - and found that there was no problem.)
Last edited by martin goodall on Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:26 pm

Andy W wrote:They're the right way up on my Macs as well. Lovely work Martin.

As noted above, this issue has now been resolved, I hope.
Last edited by martin goodall on Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:37 pm

Pictures rendered OK on my PC with Firefox.

Bit of a concern, is that lens distortion on the outside of the wheels, or are those OO flanges?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:01 pm

Tim V wrote:Pictures rendered OK on my PC with Firefox.

Bit of a concern, is that lens distortion on the outside of the wheels, or are those OO flanges?

Should have gone to Specavers, Tim.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:41 pm

That's a relief - although I assume that Keith and Andy were both using an Apple Mac PC.
Not mine, I was using Windows 8.1 and Firefox.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:47 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:
That's a relief - although I assume that Keith and Andy were both using an Apple Mac PC.
Not mine, I was using Windows 8.1 and Firefox.
Regards
Keith

Now sorted, as explained above.
Last edited by martin goodall on Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:44 pm

Pictures OK on my PC but my iPad did the upside down trick. Lovely pictures by the way Martin. I think I will borrow my wife's iPhone instead of the camera next time I do something.

Philip

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Mon May 11, 2015 5:12 pm

I have been messing about with the i-phone again, poking it around inside the Train Shed where an ordinary camera won’t go.

The first shot is a closer view of the Up end of the building, showing (among other things) the blue enamel Trespass notice (from a Roger Smith sheet of GWR signage, with an added styrene strip surround to represent the wooden frame).
IMG_1277 (Edit).jpg

The next two photos are high level shots of the Train Shed interior. You will have to use your imagination to work out how the photographer was able to climb up to get shots shots from this angle. (Maybe he persuaded one of the local pigeons to fly up to the roof truss with the camera.)
Bfd 2.6 (May 15).JPG

Bfd 2.7 (May 15).JPG

The next view is a general view of the platform side of the Station Building, taken a bit further down the platform than a similar shot posted in the last upload. This shot emphasises the current lack of soot on the roof trusses. In fact you can see the pencil marks I have made on the cross-beams to show where the airbrushed soot should be applied at its thickest, immediately above the main running line.

Incidentally, none of these photos have been ‘photo-shopped’. Whatever is in the background is what is there on the model. Viwed from this angle the sky that can be seen through the roof is in fact the white ceiling of the railway room.
IMG_1284 (Edit).jpg

The next few shots are close-ups showing details outside the Booking Hall, and a couple of glimpses into it. This is the only interior that has been modelled, because it can be seen through the double doors, which are wide open to the platform. As before, all the lighting is purely from the layout’s own lights, but the Train Shed roof has been removed, purely in order to get the i-phone in close enough, and the bright illumination of the Booking Hall was achieved by the simple expedient of removing the roof of the Station Building, while masking off rooms where internal illumination was nor wanted by laying pieces of cards over the top of those parts of the building.
IMG_1257 (Edit).jpg

IMG_1256 (Edit).jpg

IMG_1258 (Edit).jpg

IMG_1260 (Edit).jpg

IMG_1261 (Edit).jpg

Not content with the two shots taken from high up under the Train Shed roof, shown earlier, our intrepid photographer then clambered up onto the roof, and poked his camera over the edge of the opening in the roof to take some high level shots down onto the platform. The opening in the roof would originally have been glazed, but these overall roofs often lost some or all of their glazing as the years went by.
Bfd 2.10 (May 15).JPG

Bfd 2.11 (May 15).JPG

Bfd 2.9 (May 15).JPG

Now I really must get on with chairing and ballasting the track, at least in the station area, and add the various other details that are still missing. Buildings in the background of some shots are white, because they are unfinished and are still bare plastic – another of the many jobs awaiting attention.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by martin goodall on Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Mon May 11, 2015 5:26 pm

Stunning stuff - absolutely inspiring.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Mon May 11, 2015 6:45 pm

[I have deleted this post, which dealt with another problem relating to the display of photos which was subsequently sorted out.

But the further comments below on this issue can only be deleted by the respective contributors (if they wish to do so.)
]
Last edited by martin goodall on Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Mon May 11, 2015 7:11 pm

martin goodall wrote:Just a small point. If you view these pictures with your browser set at 100%, they will be slightly cropped. Zooming out to 75% will give you the whole picture.

I think, but I'm not certain, that this depends as much on the width of the window, so if you use a widescreen monitor, you probably will always see the whole picture.

martin goodall wrote:If you double click on the picture itself, it will be enlarged, and you can then scroll from side to side and up and down to view details that may not be obvious when looking at the whole photo.

I believe the behaviour here will be browser specific.

FWIW, for me, the images above are right-way-up when viewed in the thread, and some are upside down when viewed using the 'double click' to get just the image.

My mind boggles at all the possible places this is influenced :-)

David B

Postby David B » Mon May 11, 2015 7:13 pm

How odd viewing these images is. I am using Safari on a Macbook. All the images in the thread view properly, but if I click on them to see an enlarged version, they are all upside down - except for the bottom two images!

I have heard that computers are like supermarket trolleys - they each have minds of their own.

I must add my appreciation, Martin. The station is so atmospheric and your modelling quite inspirational, something to aspire to.

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Tue May 12, 2015 10:55 am

Superb photos Martin. It continues to surprise me what superb results you get from the camera on a mobile phone.

By the way can you please tell me where you get the Great Western adverts/timetables from?

Dave

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue May 12, 2015 12:05 pm

The internal views in particular, Martin, are very realistic. A little tidy though?

Although those pikeys I was on about before seem to have kidnapped all the people from the layout too?
Mark Tatlow

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue May 12, 2015 2:18 pm

Dave K wrote:.

By the way can you please tell me where you get the Great Western adverts/timetables from?

Dave

As I mentioned in a previous post, I found the GWR posters reproduced in a book (I think it was Roger Burdett's "Go Great Western"). I scanned them into the computer, reduced the images, and printed them out on my laser printer.

The timetables were a commercial product; I believe they were Scottish. Sorry I can't recall the name of the supplier. I think they are actually timetables for somewhere in Bonny Scotland!

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue May 12, 2015 2:30 pm

Mark Tatlow wrote:The internal views in particular, Martin, are very realistic. A little tidy though?

Although those pikeys I was on about before seem to have kidnapped all the people from the layout too?

The point about tidiness is fair comment - I was thinking the same thing, but this is still 'work in progress', and a certain amount of further clutter still has to be added. On the other hand, I don't want the scene to look too busy - after all, it is only a rural branch terminus.

So far as people are concerned, I have made a deliberate decision up to now not to put any human figures in at all. I am tempted to add maybe one or two (no more than that)

There are two reasons for this. First, if you look at period photos, the absence of people is very noticeable (except where they were deliberately posed by the photographer). Country towns and country stations were very quiet, so you would only see the occasional person on the scene, except possibly around the time when a train arrives or departs, but then the train will hide the people, and so they won't be seen anyway. The other consideration is that human figures, even when they are in a stationary pose, still represent suspended animation, which I would prefer to avoid. Instead, I have tried to hint at the presence of people, by means of open doors or windows, tools left lying around and other signs of human activity.
Last edited by martin goodall on Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue May 12, 2015 2:38 pm

I agree with Martin(!). In about 100 square feet on Clutton I have about a dozen people.
Tim V

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue May 12, 2015 3:30 pm

Tim V wrote:I agree with Martin(!).

Twice in the space of a single week ??!! (What is the world coming to?)

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue May 12, 2015 3:49 pm

I need to lie down in a darkened room...
Tim V

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Tue May 12, 2015 6:40 pm

Very nice photos Martin. As others have said, quite inspirational.
How many hours did you say it had taken.
Cheddar's going to take a long time I think!

Return to “Layouts and Operations”