Small beginnings - Scottish timber loading point

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
jhock

Re: Small beginnings - Scottish timber loading point

Postby jhock » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:44 am

The biggest problem I had joining the boards was down to the boards being different heights. This is to allow for the cassettes, but it means you can't just line up the tops of the boards, hence the need for a second attempt.

I will just say if any one ask the holes are there to save weight :D

jhock

Postby jhock » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Well a little progress today, as I don't have my track underlay yet I thought I would have a go at the a structure for the layout:

It based on one of the images I linked to in an earlier post, hence my attempt at some slipped boards and a bit of run down look.

jhock

Postby jhock » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:50 pm

More progress on the little disused goods shed, a trip to the Watford show meant I had what I need to put a roof on the shed:

I am quite pleased with the result but I do think the capping along the top of the roof could be better, but I found it hard bend all the bits to a consistent level, still it does not look too bad and I don’t I will ever get as close as I have taken these photo’s.

The Watford show was up to it’s normal high standards, Mr Willis (Flymo) provided good company and poor Mark behind Portchullin was subject to some good natured heckling.
Last edited by jhock on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:39 pm

jhock wrote:More progress on the little disused goods shed, a trip to the Watford show meant I had what I need to put a roof on the shed:

The Watford show was up to it’s not normal high standards, Mr Willis (Flymo) provided good company and poor Mark behind Portchullin was subject to some good natured heckling.

I think (and hope!) that you meant "NOW normal high standards"! :-)

It was excellent to see you, and spend some time wandering around the show.

The corrugated roofing looks excellent,and even if you feel that it doesn't sit quite right, certainly doesn't look unprototypical. If anyone else was wondering about it, it was from Ambis Engineering, and was a most reasonable price (IMHO) for the quality of it. It looks the perfect product for something of a character like this. If I was cladding a modern factory warehouse, I think that my wallet would think otherwise though!

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

jhock

Postby jhock » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:13 pm

Flymo748 wrote:
jhock wrote:More progress on the little disused goods shed, a trip to the Watford show meant I had what I need to put a roof on the shed:

The Watford show was up to it’s not normal high standards, Mr Willis (Flymo) provided good company and poor Mark behind Portchullin was subject to some good natured heckling.

I think (and hope!) that you meant "NOW normal high standards"! :-)

It was excellent to see you, and spend some time wandering around the show.

The corrugated roofing looks excellent,and even if you feel that it doesn't sit quite right, certainly doesn't look unprototypical. If anyone else was wondering about it, it was from Ambis Engineering, and was a most reasonable price (IMHO) for the quality of it. It looks the perfect product for something of a character like this. If I was cladding a modern factory warehouse, I think that my wallet would think otherwise though!

Flymo

I did indeed, I must learn to proof read! I agree the price is good for the quality of the product but if a large area was being clad I would use the Slaters sheets or the Wills sheets.

Next up the paint shop for the shed, my track foam has still not turned up so I think it is lost in the post, I spoke to the Liverpool based shop I bought it from but they have to wait 21 days before they can send another, this is when they can claim a refund from Royal Mail. No matter as it give me a chance to work on a couple of other bits, including some TOU's which Paul helped me buy the parts for.

Return to “Layouts and Operations”