Railex 2011 Borchester

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
HowardGWR

Railex 2011 Borchester

Postby HowardGWR » Mon May 30, 2011 9:09 pm

Did anyone have a good look at Borchester at the weekend?

I just wondered if they still carry out all Frank Dyer's stringent attempts at prototype operation and (I've looked at a few photos) have they changed the stud contact system. I couldn't tell from the photos on the net.

Was it all bells and whistles?

Philip Hall

Re: Railex 2011 Borchester

Postby Philip Hall » Mon May 30, 2011 9:24 pm

The Borchesters were never stud contact, always two rail. Unfortunately, on the one occasion I saw it on Sunday, I'm afraid the running was not of the standard that Frank Dyer would have wanted to see. It looked as good as ever, but I didn't stay long enough to observe the way they were running it.

Philip

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: Railex 2011 Borchester

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue May 31, 2011 6:19 am

I was exhibiting at RailEx and had very little time to look at the show. However, talking to one of the Borchester team, I gather that they do try to replicate prototypical operation, including shunting coaches over the pointwork. I gather that the age of the layout sometimes makes this difficult which may account for the running problems that Philip saw. In spite of this, I think it is good to see the layout on the circuit.

Terry Bendall

Return to “Layouts and Operations”