Calcutta sidings 2 and universal fiddle yard first test

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Tim Horn

Re: Calcutta sidings 2 and universal fiddle yard first test

Postby Tim Horn » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:09 pm

Just a quick how to for the chimney project.

I save each item and wall as a seperate project so that if something goes wrong with the lasercutter I don't waste time and material when I need to stop it from cutting.

The laser cutter comes with its own software, LaserCut 5.3. You can use this as a stand alone drawing programme, but it can be very confusing to use sometimes. I prefer to use Turbocad, cause that's what I've got and started to use. I can also work with or import Adobe illustrator files, but I mostly import stuff as .DXF files into the lasercut software. Everything has to be imported into this and then you have to define the cutting lines, or basically tell the software what you want to do with the lines. The drawings are a basic line drawing, simples!

First pic is of the Turbocad 16 screen shot. I've used black for the mortar lines and yellow for the cutting through lines. (Yellow, cause I can't see the difference between red and black on the screen ;) )

Second pic is of the LaserCut software with the .dxf file imported. The box top right tells the machine what you want to do with the coloured lines (power settings and speed of cut etc)

Third pic is of the finished project. Looking smart in the sun :thumb

Hope this helps

Cheers
Tim

Chimney version 3 turbocad TJH01 31st January 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Chimney version 3 Lasercut TJH01 31st January 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.JPG

Chimney version 3 TJH01 31st January 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

barhamd

Postby barhamd » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:07 pm

Tim

I'm finding that as i go from a TurboCAD produced DXF into Lasercut 5.3 it looses the actual size of the drawing. I always have to draw a known rectangle around my drawing and then use the 'size' function in Lasercut to get it to go to the right size. It is an annoyance rather than a problem but wondered if you were seeing the same thing?

David

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:43 pm

Yes, same here David.

I try and put the overal size in mm on the drawing somewhere, hence the numbers on the first Turbocad screen shot. Just an easier way of remembering to resize it when imported into the lasercut software.

I still don't know why it can't import it at the correct scale, It works fine with Adboe Illustrator files!

Cheers
Tim

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:10 am

Tim that is quite brilliant in that all that swearing in cutting items too big/ small has been done away with. All power to your arm!

As other people have suggested once laser cutters et al come down in price there will be a library of buildings that can be down loaded and printed out. Makes building the buildings from this side of the Earth alot easier.... wonder when Google street view will become Hi def enough to cut, copy, paste, print assemble!... Oh my wish... though when I retire no doubt that will be able to be done just about....(sorry that will be about 30Years or so) :o
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:04 pm

Tim Horn wrote:Yes, same here David.

I try and put the overal size in mm on the drawing somewhere, hence the numbers on the first Turbocad screen shot. Just an easier way of remembering to resize it when imported into the lasercut software.

I still don't know why it can't import it at the correct scale, It works fine with Adboe Illustrator files!

Cheers
Tim

Try using PLT files. The Laser I use gives the best results from a PLT file rather than a DXF file.

Alan

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:12 am

Thanks Doug,

My aim has been to get a decent corner joint without having to mess about too much to get a good fit. I think I've got it now, so hopefully the next few brick buildings and bridges will move along a bit quicker than this one now that I know what I'm trying to do :)

Thanks Alan, I’ll give the .PLT file a go and see how that gets on.

I've got most of the inner walls and roof supports installed yesterday afternoon, still need to add the chimney top brickwork, and sand the corners and other areas down a bit. The fascias have been added, ready for the gutters

Still got the smaller chimney to create, but I think I can reuse the artwork for the big chimney. Not looking forward to installing and painting the windows though!

Cheers
Tim

Office TJH01 2nd February 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Office TJH02 2nd February 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:12 am

[quote="Tim Horn"] Not looking forward to installing and painting the windows though!
Tim

Your certainly on to something here, it looks the business. I know its a bit late now but have you considerd cutting windows/doors in the the inner walls just a touch bigger to provide a ledge for the windows/ doors to fit against?

Will

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:50 am

Thanks for the idea Will,

I've got a few more ideas for the next one with sash windows; I need to get this one out now as I've promised it to Phil in the next two weeks. I've got the roof sections cut and the door and window frames in now, so I just need to draw up some slate roof tiles and see how I get on with those, almost ready for primer.

Cheers
Tim

Office TJH01 6th February 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

barhamd

Postby barhamd » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:27 pm

I'm just having a nightmare trying to get a decent painted brickwork finish on my laser cut buildings. see rant on http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/186/entry-11089-laser-cut-buildings-time-to-take-up-macrame/

any advise would be great before I drop kick the lot into the bin

thanks
David Barham

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:33 pm

Maybe you have the bar set a bit higher than I do David but the final pic in your RMweb rant looks quite good. It might need a bricks picked out to give a bit of variety but that's hardly a reason to bin the thing :thumb

Cheers,

David

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:00 am

David,

I think you're virtually there. The only advice I would offer is to consider putting more variety of shade into the brick colour, which inevitably means painting a number of the bricks individually.

On the houses shown in the photo, the stages I used were (1) spraying the whole wall with a Humbrol enamel for mortar colour; (2) hand painting the bricks with a palette of acrylics; (3) a light coat of Humbrol matt varnish applied with the airbrush; (4) weathering with diluted acrylics, again through the airbrush. Basic materials in this case are plasticard, but I'm not sure that matters to the overall finish.

If you'd like to reassemble one of the huts (or make a new one), I'd be happy to experiment!

Regards,

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi David,

I've not had a problem yet (!) with painting, I know that's not much help! I think I've said before, I just spray up the mdf in Halfords primer, red or grey, grey seems to be more accurate with painting further colours on it though. The only thing I can say is keep on trying, I've had to do several attempts at stuff to get progress with much of this building.

I've managed to get the tiling done this afternoon, and done a bit of lead flashing using some kitchen foil. Bit of a pain, but I think it looks ok.

Cheers
Tim

Tiles and lead flashing TJH01 10th February 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Tiles and lead flashing TJH02 10th February 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:44 am

Tim looks most appropriate. I had never thought of alfoil as a flashing. Looks right for an aging building. The cappings like this do age, curl, buckle and move about. It is one thing now with new buildings the tollerances are a lot higher than they once were... it is just the tradesmen were better at making it look right the first time way back when. Now if it can't be done without a power tool it doesn't get done. Now it is all long length folded in a break press or rolled.
Doug

barhamd

Postby barhamd » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:43 pm

Thanks for the various comments over on rmweb. I've now got a little shed I'm quite pleased with.
DSCF4142.JPG

David Barham

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:24 am

I can see a whole new hobby interest developing here! Need to find a GC shed to copy ...
Just received from CAD4Trading some PETG clear sheets 0.5mm - pack of 6 A4 size, protected on both sides, wonderful quality and clear vision when compared with the stuff I have fitted over the years. I can see a clearing out in the attic this afternoon!
Might be ideal for the buildings I am planning.
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:07 pm

It's almost time to prime, I've always thought that if a model looks good before painting, then it should look good when fully finished. I'm quite pleased with this one so far. Need to crack on now as it's going to be planted on Calcutta Siding's in less than two weeks time.

Cheers
Tim

Office TJH01 11th February 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Office TJH02 11th February 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Simon_S

Postby Simon_S » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi Tim,
Are the tiles laser cut too? They look very convincingly overlaid and three dimensional.
Cheers,
Simon

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:39 pm

Tim
That's probably the most convincing building I have seen outside of Pendon! Brilliant, what about the drain pipes and down pipes?

regards

Mike

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:16 am

Hi Simon,

Yes the tiles are cut in card with a little etched marker to help guide the next layer above. It's worked quite well :)

Tiles TJH01 9th February 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Thanks Mike, although I won’t compare my effort to anything like Pendons. Mine is just a cold machined copy of the original building. You can tell I've left the difficult bit till last, the gutters! Yet to be made but I've got some ideas and materials here ready for when I've painted the building.

Cheers
Tim

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:19 pm

Thanks to my good wife this morning, she mixed up some brick colour for me to paint. This building has got to match (colour wise) the warehouse that Phil built over ten years ago for the original Calcutta Sidings, so I've found this difficult to match the colours without help. Just the basic coat this morning, with the other colours to add neatly later.

Office paint test TJH01 15th February 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:49 pm

Oh that is starting to look very nice indeed...

I do think that you really have hit on a highly realistic and very swift way of producing buildings. I can't even begin to imagine how long it would take to scribe all of those bricks by hand.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:12 pm

That does look very nice indeed, I'd never thought of using tin foil for the flashing...

John

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:33 pm

Tim that is extremely convincing. you should be very happy with that. The beauty of the building is now you have all the drawings etc if some one says...can you build one just like it for me, you have the opportunity to say no but I have access to a kit but it doesn't have any insutructions, if you want to have a go! :thumb

Convincing check, colouring check, I think you have the building you needed!
Doug

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks for the kind comments, it's been ticking along quite nicely, with only a few days to go before planting. Still a number of jobs left to do but it's looking quite good :)

Cheers
Tim

Office TJH01 21st February 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:43 pm

This will do me for now, it's off to Phils in several hours to hand over to him. I can see a few improvements he may wish to make, but overall I'm pleased by the way this one developed. On to the next structure!

Cheers
Tim

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Return to “Layouts and Operations”