Onward from Ambergate

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
TonyMont

Re: Onward from Ambergate

Postby TonyMont » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi All,

Isn't it scary how time flies, nearly eighteen months since my last post. I was given a nudge at Railex and I had to tidy up for the Crewe Area Group Cream Tea event which will take place here next weekend.

All the baseboards are now complete, as frameworks, but some trackbed is still to be fixed, at least all the gradients have worked out as reasonable, it will be interesting to get the track down and see how thing perform, here are a few images.
P1070101.JPG

This is a view from the twin stations looking towards the goods sorting yards.#
P1070103.JPG

The view in the opposite direction.
P1070106.JPG

The first true Buxton loco, a Brassmasters LNWR 0-8-2t, Buxton had four of these, but as mine will not need washouts or trips to the works I am only building two.

Track construction is moving along, I am trying to build all the major junctions so that track can be laid temporarily between them.

I will try to remember to post again after the weekend.

Tony.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:06 am

Crikey Tony! That's amazing!

Maybe I've missed something (probably while scoffing mushy peas!) but do the new lines relate/link to Ambergate?

Andy
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:22 am

Try http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1430#p11581 and then read on till you get here, its only 3 pages!
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:32 am

Hi Andy,
Yes Ambergate has three exit points and so does Buxton, so I have devised the plan shown earlier (thanks Keith) which joins them together.

I have made one addition to the original plan, which I will detail later, but essentially it will be possible to operate the layout in such a way that an individual can send a train from a terminus and have it come back to them, ideal when operating alone, but I had missed a link which allows a train to leave Buxton north western for Ashbourne and return, I have added this in now, but the radii of the curve and incline will mean short trains only. On this line fortunately a Watford tank and three coaches was the norm.

Regards,

Tony.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:05 pm

Thanks both. Amazing even seeing the plan I'm still dumbfounded. (In a good way!)
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

jsherratt

Postby jsherratt » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:24 am

A few of us visited Tony yesterday evening in preparation for the visit of the rest of the Crewe Group tomorrow but also to run a train or two. Here is a photo of Ambergate with a GWR interloper. This engine will run the through trains from Oswestry on my railway, well that's my excuse anyway. This is the "South" corner of the triangle at Ambergate with a more appropriate 3F in the background.

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:57 pm

Hi All,
Another update, the link I mentioned a little while ago is now temporarily in place, it is tighter and steeper than I would have planned it if it had occurred to me from the start. The inside radius of the curve is 950mm and the incline is just what it had to be to fit, as you can see from the photograph it looks tight and steep, but is not in an area that will be scenic.
The 3f in the photograph is one of John Sherratt's, it has minimal side play and is not very heavy, being an Alan Gibson kit, however it will pull four plastic carriages around the link without any trouble. The curve was laid with the societies triangle gauges and when I checked it with Exactoscale gauges has gained 0.2mm gauge widening.
Ashbourne link.jpg

Tony

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:39 am

Tony,

is the blue foam baseboard edging to meet H&S requirements?

I feel embarrassed by my own slow progress with the final bits of London Road whenever I see what you are achieving.

Jol

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:25 am

Hi Jol,
Yes it is pipe insulation, just pushed onto the edge of the plywood, it has certainly reduced the number of bruises, although I continue to find new places that need fitting. A hard hat would be easier in some ways, but looks ridiculous.
Regards,
Tony.

J Gleeson

Postby J Gleeson » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:19 pm

Very impressed indeed-not only witht he layout, butr also with the faultless running. I will be keeping up to date with your progress. Will we see the Midland Pullman-what a marvellous background to see it ruuing.

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi,
I would like to see a Midland Pullman running too, but I have no time for distractions, if anyone has one and would like to stretch its legs (wheels, Bogies) then let me know and we can arrange a visit.

Best regards,
Tony.

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:34 am

Hi All,
I have a bit of a problem, I have just completed a curved crossing, it is still on the workbench because it is not reliable. I believe a diamond crossing on the prototype rarely goes shallower than a 1:8 without being a switched type. The one I have built started as a 1:8 but now that it is curved the obtuse crossings are shallower, can I improve the reliability in any way :? ?
The point that leads into the crossing is on the layout minimum radius of 1200mm and the diamond is on the adjacent running line so about 1243mm radius inside running line.
Regards,
Tony.

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:11 pm

Hi Tony,

The prototype doesn't allow fixed K-crossings flatter than 1:8, and then only if all 4 legs are straight:

In radius down to:   the flattest angle for a fixed K-crossing is:
60 chains ( 3960ft )........1:8
30 chains ( 1980ft )........1:7.75
20 chains ( 1320ft )........1:7.5
15 chains ( 990ft )..........1:7.25
12 chains ( 792ft )..........1:7
10 chains ( 660ft )..........1:6.5
below 10 chains.............1:6

This information is dated 1943 for the GWR, and similar rules can be assumed for other companies.

In models with flangeways wider than scale (that includes P4), we need even tighter restrictions.

Your curve is 4.7 chains radius, so I suggest your only real option is to rebuild it as a switch-diamond. It just needs 2 extra point motors (or one with a rocking crank arrangement).

Templot will print it for you - real > K-crossing options > movable K-crossings (switch-diamond).

regards,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi Martin,
Thanks for that, I was hoping not to have to make it into a switched diamond, only because I have not built one before, but reliability is the main thing so I will have a go, I am sure I will manage. Also thanks for the chart that will be useful, as I fear I may have one or two more that are in tricky positions.
Thanks again.
Tony.

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:50 pm

Hi,
Last Friday evening my friends and I were working on the alignment of the two double junctions on the approach to Buxton NW, John Sherratt managed to get a photo, which I really like, thanks to David, Tony, Bob and John.

The double slip is for elsewhere on the layout and is where the down yard will be.

Thanks

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:33 am

Hi All,

I was at an area group meeting yesterday and let all my friends know what was happening at Ambergate and Buxton, they said i should post the old Railway Modeller type advert, so.

Railway room for sale ten metres by eight with large bungalow attached (railway not included) near Stoke on Trent.

Seriously we were hoping to stay here for the foreseeable future but that has not worked out, so I am looking for somewhere else to build another small railway room, slightly larger than this one would be excellent.

Regards, Tony.

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:07 pm

Hi All,

I had set myself another target. To get a train through to Buxton before I start to disassemble the layout for our house move (no purchaser yet) so here is a video of progress so far. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb5hY6C ... e=youtu.be
Many other junctions are ready for installation but it is very time consuming and all the track on the Buxton side is temporary so far.
I hope you enjoy the video, and let me know what you think.

Regards, Tony.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:54 pm

Wonderful.

I particularly liked the CGI shots of the train reversing as I have read this is something that can't be done with P4 models, so they must be faked.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:48 pm

Tim Lee

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:46 pm

You can get a lot further than when I was last there Tony. I hope I can get therer before you do have to start taking it apart.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:52 pm

TonyMont wrote: let me know what you think

Brilliant! :D :thumb

Terry Bendall

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:48 pm

Tony,

Excellent news to hear that you have finally got a train to Buxton, although as someone who has been steeped in the geography of the Peak District for most of my life, I was slightly confused by the train from Ambergate arriving at the LNW station, rather than the Midland!

That minor point aside, I'm very envious of what you have achieved thus far. My Peak District efforts to date have focussed on the Cromford & High Peak, because of a combination of lack of space and interest in the eccentricities of that line, but I also have a soft spot for the Ashbourne line. I may get as far as Friden or possibly Parsley Hay, if my ambitions are fulfilled, but I look forward to seeing the Friden goods crossing your viaduct on the approaches to Buxton at some point in the future!

Good luck with your quest to find suitable accommodation for the layout (and a place alongside it to sleep!). Keep us posted on developments.

Regards,

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:30 pm

Tony,

I thought my new railway room was pretty big, and then I saw the distance your train was covering to its destination! Hope you have success in finding a new home for the railway. I suppose somewhere alongside it for you and Denise to live might be useful as well...

Philip
Last edited by Philip Hall on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:16 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind comments. I may not have made it clear, when the layout has all its major track down the intention is to operate to the 1936 Buxton timetable, Ambergate triangle will be passed through by all trains, some will need to turn, goods can use the triangle formed by the lines at Buxton for this.

Ambergate will not be timetabled, though trains may need to be held or passed. Due to the restrictions on the surrounding lines, double heading will be common and bankers may also be needed, for all this and the reversing of polarity I am proposing to go DCC. It should all be great fun although I expect a lot of head scratching. :D

Regards, Tony.

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:28 am

Apologies for highjacking the thread but I have a similar problem with an unreliable crossing on curved track. I had made the assumption that if Templot allowed you to draw it, then it was buildable and would work. I had no minimum radius warnings in the plan. My technical knowledge of track work is zilch so have I made a basic error and what I designed would never work or, more likely, is it my track making skills that have let me down? From memory they are B switches 1:8 crossing.

Return to “Layouts and Operations”