Onward from Ambergate

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
TonyMont

Re: Onward from Ambergate

Postby TonyMont » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:26 pm

Hi All,
It's been a while. As you will have read elsewhere the Crewe area group has recently lost three influential members, Ron, Dick and Don. Ron was the member with whom I discussed Ambergate, he loved the layout especially the trees and the depth of the original scenic section. Dick Petter had a philosophy, that his layout was big enough and complex enough to keep him working for a long time and therefore that he would have to live a long time to finish it, he achieved a great deal, maybe not as much as he had hoped, but he also was the guiding light of the group build on Knutsford as well as being the track gaffer on Slattocks. Don was the font of all knowledge LMS and gave me much information and guidance which lead me to the design of my layout, its a shame that I did not get further before it had to go into storage. Dick's philosophy gave me the confidence to design something so large, my plan is to live well into my second century :D :D . The old house took a while to sell but has now changed hands and we have downsized to a house with enough garden to erect another railway room, if the planners etc will allow. Hopefully the layout will be up and running again soon.
Once again thank you to Don, Ron and Dick for the inspiration knowledge and confidence that they gave to all the group and that I took to at least start this project.

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:50 pm

Hi All,
It has been far too long, but much has changed, house moves (we moved twice), retirement and building. The new railway room is far from finished but it is water tight and I couldn't wait any longer.
IMG_2449.JPG

The dimensions are slightly different in that the entrance is now at the end and therefore the room had to be longer. So with a bit of adjustment to the front of Ambergate we should be able to access 90% of the outside of the layout for the first time. The photo shows the pieces coming together. It was decided that the railway was too high when it was originally built and so by trial and error it is will now be 8 inches lower than before making the trackbed at the south end of Ambergate 44inches above the floor.
Tony.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:07 pm

Looks great Tony, now you can make progress again.

Jol

jsherratt

Postby jsherratt » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:16 pm

It's great to see Ambergate and Buxton starting to take shape again!

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:13 pm

Hi Jol and John,

Thanks I do hope that I can get plenty done now.
IMG_2462.JPG
IMG_2463.JPG

All the original boards are now up, I will start checking the track which I had completed four years ago and then try and move forward.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:11 am

The last picture is very impressive Tony - a veritable maze of baseboards. Looks like a map will be needed. :D It will certainly be very impressive when finished.

Terry Bendall

Suffolk Dave

Postby Suffolk Dave » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:14 pm

It looks awesome! :thumb
Check out my modelling activity here: https://www.instagram.com/4mm_dave/

Winander

Postby Winander » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:18 pm

TonyMont wrote:Thanks I do hope that I can get plenty done now.

Well if you do even the smallest thing, don't forget to post photographs because it is quite a splendid sight.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Highpeak

Postby Highpeak » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:12 am

I grew up in Buxton and spent a lot of time at the station waiting for trains with my grandfather who had a taxi business, so I am really excited at the prospect of seeing the station again in miniature, so I fully agree with Richard.
Neville
If at first you don't succeed, try reading the instructions.

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:11 pm

Thank you gentlemen, the first jobs are to restore Ambergate, it has suffered a little from the move.

The gap in the trackbed in the first of the two photographs I posted most recently is for a new bridge. In 1934 or thereabouts a new bridge was built at the south end of Ambergate and the line was quadrupled. A complex junction was built in order for trains to be routed through or round the station in the Sheffield direction. I don't have room for the junction but the bridge will give the illusion and move the date of the layout into the mid 1930's.

Another job, which will be attempted is the updating of the Limekilns, these were modernised at some time by having steel vertical extensions added to some of the bays and a means of raising the limestone and coke to the new level. If anyone has any information about how this was achieved at Ambergate or anywhere similar would be most welcome.

All the best, Tony.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:04 am

TonyMont wrote:If anyone has any information about how this was achieved at Ambergate or anywhere similar would be most welcome.

I don't have any information to help Tony but the Amberley industrial museum at Amberley in West Sussex see https://www.amberleymuseum.co.uk/ is based around the lime kilns that were established in the chalk quarry so they may have information that would assist. The museum is a very interesting place to visit an thinking about the Engineering and making things and awe thread, has an extensive machine shop with overhead line shaft drive to machines. There is also a narrow gauge railway.

Terry Bendall

essdee

Postby essdee » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:07 am

Hi Tony,
'Archive' journal, issue 26 pp.53-59 and following, has three good photos and an aerial shot of the modified kilns, and OS map extract which should help you. If you have problems obtaining a copy, let me know and I will try to take photos - I can't scan them as it will knacker the bindings.

Good luck - and what an awesome project you have there!

Cheers,

Steve Duckworth

PS. Not 'Railway Archive'......... !

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:31 pm

Thanks Terry and Steve,

I will check out the Museum, I don't have the Archive magazines, I will ask my local friends, photographs would be most welcome if you have the time Steve, thanks.

Regards tony.

Paul Cram

Postby Paul Cram » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:45 pm

That's looking impressive Tony.

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:53 am

Hi All,
Well not a lot of progress to report, the exterior of the building needed to be completed which is now done. Some work has been done on track and track bed.
I have been gaining an understanding of how servos are used for point and signal control, with help from John Elliott and Richard Chalis of Leeds Wellington fame, I came to the conclusion early that this needed to be planned in before any track was permanently laid. I am trying to keep as much wiring and mechanisms above the trackbed as possible. I will post details when I have some working examples.
It has also been strange that like many people I suppose, I have looked forward to retirement and having the time to persue this hobby. When working I would find an hour here or there and think to myself this is going to be great when I can really crack on, but I am finding it a bit daunting I walk into the shed and think where do I start, I am sure I will get organised soon but it does feel strange, I have started a diary to try and keep track, has anyone else had similar issues?
Regards Tony.

bobwallison

Postby bobwallison » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:21 pm

TonyMont wrote:Hi All,
I have started a diary to try and keep track, has anyone else had similar issues?
Regards Tony.

Absolutely! Too many interesting distractions! Perhaps the problem is too much time available, so there is less incentive to grab the odd hour here and there to progress the model railway.

Bob

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:52 am

TonyMont wrote:has anyone else had similar issues?

Depends on what else happen in your life. I have quite a lot of other things that occupy my time so finding the time for model making is usually a challenge but I get by. :)

Terry Bendall

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:59 pm

Tony,
I have found that a diary is one of the most valuable things I have ever done. At work I kept a daily diary which was rigourously completed and proved extremely valuable when trying to explain WTF I had been doing in the past 12 months.
After retirement there were three building projects where a diary became valuable years later. These were mainly photo based but provided a day-by-day history of the work completed - or not completed - or different to what had been prescribed.
These days it is easier for me to break down projects into individual loco designs, but a daily diary shows work done per class and the time spent. Some of the time figures are quite alarming in retrospect when added up. But it does prove that in retirement I have not been idly wandering around a golf course or other strange and useless activities (cue responses from golfers).
The diary shelf.jpg

There are three sets of diaries here. Those I have no intention of revisiting, those that may be revised should I live to 100+ and those on my ToDo list over the next 10 years, including the two that I have just sent off for etching.
In my dotage, I can look back, read these, and think "I did that" or "I can't believe I did something so stupid" or pass on the included knowledge and experience at the upcoming car-boot sale, which is bound to happen some day.

So, do the diary thing, include the small items, cost them in time and momey. You won't regret it.

PS Meant to put some smilies in the text but that seems not to work for me - so apologies to all golfers...
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:55 pm

Hi Bob, Terry and John,
Thank you all, first off I think Bob is onto something, I am aware that life is short, but still procrastinate to a rediculous extent, I will endevour to push myself harder and keep a record in my diary.
I will be working this coming week, and then away on holiday, but when I am back, expect, even demand some progress.
Regards Tony.

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:44 pm

Well I have progress to report. The white track underlay that can be seen in the latest photographs, has been removed and replaced with cork.
The pointwork for the north end of the fiddle yard has been built and I am now working on the alignment of the through roads.
I am keeping a basic diary, which I am finding helpful.
When the shed was finished I had been tempted to get several part finished models out and cluttered up all my work surfaces, having tidied these away I think this has also helped my focus.
Most of the track in the video I posted of the first train to Buxton was temporary, it was lifted when the layout went into storage, and now I am working on laying it permanently.
More soon,
Tony.

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:15 pm

Hi All,
Further progress to report, trains have run on the small ambergate loop and the inner continuous loop.
Concentration is now on the outer loops, which includes the storage loops, see the attached photo, there are four roads in each direction and a central bi-directional road. The bi road was laid first and then the others were spaced away from it to give concentric curves. The outer lines to the right will be the longest, capable of holding three decent length goods trains each, quite how this will work in with the timetable I am not sure yet, but as trains can traverse the outer loops without running through a station we can move a train out of the way to get to the one required.
PDRZ9238.JPG

As can be seen most of the track in the yard is on copper clad sleepers. I doubt whether I will have enough sleepers to complete the whole yard, so the rest will probably be plastic based. Am I right in thinking that copper clad sleepers are about 10pence each?
Regards Tony.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:47 pm

Nice to see that this layout continues to have a life of sorts....
That would be an ecumenical matter.

bobwallison

Postby bobwallison » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:35 pm

Tony,
If you buy pcb strip from Wizard Models and cut the sleepers a bit short (33mm instead of 34) you will get 9 sleepers per 300mm length, 180 sleepers per pack for £15. That is less than 2m worth of track for sleepers at standard spacing - I don't know why anyone would use pcb for plain track these days, plastic sleeper base is about the same price. But if the sleepers are widely spaced, as per your typical fiddle yard, pcb makes sense.

Bob

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:52 pm

Tony,

Another way is sheet PCB cut with a diamond blade on a table saw. I did it that way for all the storage sidings and reckon with cheap rail it saved me about £300. I was lucky to have lots of 1mm PCB donated to me, but it can be bought, and the table saw cost about £140, but at the finish I still had a table saw! It's a messy business and needs a vacuum cleaner connected to the saw and a dust mask, but it saved so much money. I might have some sheet left over, PM me for a chat about it?

Philip

Paul Cram

Postby Paul Cram » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:33 am

I used ply and rivet for the Hawes fiddle yards.

Return to “Layouts and Operations”