Middleford in the centre of somewhere

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Gurra G

Middleford in the centre of somewhere

Postby Gurra G » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:33 pm

Well its time for me to start working on my Middleford layout, Middleford is a town located on the countryside about somewhere in Cornwall or if it’s in Scotland or maybe close to York. You’ll figure it out. Since I’m living in Sweden I don’t have the ability to create an absolute copy of the real thing. But I will instead try to keep the Swedish tradition to give my layout a story the Swedish way with a lot of details about the inhabitants and the governing of Middleford. The more far-fetched the story is the better. Often the story goes far beyond the building of the layout but that’s one way to keep up the interest of building.

So far I’m working on the layout in Templot and the story of the small town Middelford runs side by side on http://omkonstenattvaragud.blogspot.com/. Hopefully I will be able to lay the tracks in a short time but first there are some buildings that are to be built, The Black Swan and Macwall distillery to name a few.

And please bear with my spelling I envy you all that speaks and write English fluently.

Here a Photo of the tender I’m building for The Lion. Its my first White metal kit so there is a lot of improvement to be done.

Gustav

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Middleford in the centre of somewhere

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:14 am

Gurra G wrote:Well its time for me to start working on my Middleford layout, Middleford is a town located on the countryside about somewhere in Cornwall or if it’s in Scotland or maybe close to York. You’ll figure it out. Since I’m living in Sweden I don’t have the ability to create an absolute copy of the real thing. But I will instead try to keep the Swedish tradition to give my layout a story the Swedish way with a lot of details about the inhabitants and the governing of Middleford. The more far-fetched the story is the better. Often the story goes far beyond the building of the layout but that’s one way to keep up the interest of building.

Hi Gustav,

I like your story, and I like your blog. It's our own small world that we model, and telling the tales that are behind it is part of the interest for me. Perhaps I read too many of Iain Rice's articles in magazines when I was younger!

I was wondering if you had seen another blog that has a similar idea. It is on RMWeb, by a chap called Mikkel, who I believe is in Denmark. He produces the "Farthing Layouts" and in a very small space populates them with people going about their daily business.

Have a look at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/75/entry-5696-undecided-sky-1867/ for the most recent entry.

I hope that you enjoy them, and your own modelling also.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Gurra G

Postby Gurra G » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:32 pm

Today a great decision was made to tear up my 00 layout in favour for Middleford in P4. The layout will be 12’ by 2’ and in DCC. The Templot tool is working fine but since I’m running it on Windows XP in my MacBook by Bootcamp its hard to make a print Screen to show you the trackplan. Perhaps someone on this eminent forum could give me a tech tip on how to user Print Screen in Windows on a MacBook.

Well tomorrow its time to pay all these internet shops a visit to by track and useful stuff witch tend to be more than you need. My old 00 layout will live a new life as a modular layout to be used in shows together with other modules. http://www.modellrallaren.se/evenemang/ ... r/0504.jpg

Meanwhile the population of Middleford are having some difficulty to cope with the lack of track. But on the other hand they have Stoffton Brewery producing ale with quite a different taste.

Gurra G

Postby Gurra G » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:51 pm

Middlefords first engine is due to be delivered. I’m making some progress with it but still lack the skills of soldering. The chimney was re soldered after the picture was taken. I really envy those who solders like it was a piece of cake.

I do need some wagons for the Stoffton Brewery, Macwall distillery and the factories. Could someone help me with appropriate stock that was used in the 1890th? I have been looking at the Roxey mouldings kits but would like to see some more before I order. Hopefully I will be able this year to participate in the armchair modeller’s challenge. Last year I had to throw in the towel due to illness in the family.

Another question: What point kits, C&L or Exactoscale works with ply sleepers? I have heard that the hight on the sleepers differ.

Oh! I almost forgot: Have you heard about the tweed tasting Ale from Stoffton Brewery? http://omkonstenattvaragud.blogspot.com/

Gustav

Will L

Postby Will L » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:24 pm

Gurra G wrote:Middlefords first engine is due to be delivered. I’m making some progress with it but still lack the skills of soldering. The chimney was re soldered after the picture was taken. I really envy those who solders like it was a piece of cake.

It's practice that makes perfect. Keep at it, keep correcting till your happy, and it won't be long before somebody else will be wishing they could solder as well as you do.

Will

Gurra G

Postby Gurra G » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:24 pm

Making some progress with the Lion or Titfield Thunderbolt that is to work on the Middleford line.

The track laying sessions are about to start since I got my hands on the book ”An approach to building finescale Track in 4mm” So its time to start reading and soldering as soon as the merchandise arrives from the UK.

New wagons have been ordered and I hope to make it to the Armchair modellers’ Challenge in September, last year I had to give it up due to illness in the family. I bought the wagons from Roxeymoulding and here is a photo of one of the wagons.

Mean while in Middleford a hero has returned. http://omkonstenattvaragud.blogspot.com/

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:06 pm

Gurra G wrote:Mean while in Middleford a hero has returned. http://omkonstenattvaragud.blogspot.com/

Excellent! I'm loving the story behind the modelling. You can't take life too seriously if you enjoy what you do :-)

Please do keep it up, as it's great to read. I'm now waiting to hear if the trainee policeman will also have a part-time job as a signalman on the railway. You know that here in the UK signalmen were originally referred to as "Bobbies"?

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Gurra G

Postby Gurra G » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:27 pm

The mailman arrived just in time to make my day. I do have a lot of reading to do but what really made my day was the wagon kits so I could join the Armchair Modellers Challenge in September. Entry form filled in and sent to Mr Bendall just in time to make it.

The wagons will be built to portray the service to Stoffton Brewery and the Macwall distillery situated in Middleford.

The track building manual will really come in handy since I have not built track before. Time to pay a visit to the Scalefour store to by rail and sleepers etc. But should I by nickel-silver or mild-steel rail? Could someone tell me the biggest disadvantages with the two?

Mean while in Middleford the king is arrested: http://omkonstenattvaragud.blogspot.com/

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:21 pm

You should find this thread of assistance:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=878

As long as you clean off any stray flux, I reckon steel's only real disadvantage is that it is more difficult to solder. It looks and performs better in my view but this is one of those cans of worms that will defintely get some more comment!!
Mark Tatlow

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:22 pm

I reckon steel's only real disadvantage is that it is more difficult to solder. It looks and performs better in my view but this is one of those cans of worms that will defintely get some more comment!!

I would not agree with the first comment, I have never found the steel rail difficult to solder, but perhaps i have got used to it after 40 years.
Soldering rail to rail for crossings or rail to rivets for ply and rivet track I have used most of the various solder pastes and creams on offer, all have worked fine, some of these pastes include corrosive fluxes so I always scrub the item of track down after soldering using an old toothbrush and scouring powder (Vim) rinsing under the hot tap. For soldering the wire droppers after track laying or any other occasion there is need to solder without being able to wash it I use normal multicore electrical solder, it takes perfectly well on the steel.
The rest I do agree with, looks better, performs better, needs less cleaning.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:11 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:
I reckon steel's only real disadvantage is that it is more difficult to solder. It looks and performs better in my view but this is one of those cans of worms that will defintely get some more comment!!

I would not agree with the first comment, I have never found the steel rail difficult to solder, but perhaps i have got used to it after 40 years.
The rest I do agree with, looks better, performs better, needs less cleaning.

I fall halfway between the two camps! Yes, steel rail does look much, much better in my opinion. However I do find it a little more difficult to solder than nickel silver.

That said, I intend to standardise on steel rail in future, and just become more competent in my soldering.

One thought that may help sway your decision: if you are using P4Track Company or C&L plastic chairs glued to plastic or ply sleepers, you need many fewer soldered joints than if you are building traditional ply-and-rivet trackwork. Fewer joints equals less cleaning up :-)

HTH
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Gurra G

Postby Gurra G » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:31 pm

Thanks for all advises on witch rail to use. Since I’m a beginner or rather a super beginner I start out with the nickel-silver rail. Steel will be on hold for my next layout.

Right now the Armchair Modeller’s Challenge is in focus during the club nights. Yesterday I started out with a small wagon from Chatham kits. I bought seven kits from Roxey Mouldings and I do need some to practice on before I could have six wagons to show at Leatherhead. As usual the soldering part is hard but practice makes progress. Unfortunately my camera broke last night but here is a small photo of the master piece.

Meanwhile the Mayor in Middleford is in trouble. http://omkonstenattvaragud.blogspot.com ... -line.html

Gurra G

Postby Gurra G » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:04 pm

Last night at the club the wagons for the competition are making some progress.

But even more satisfying was that the new baseboards that my friend made for me was finished and ready to be assembled. (we Swedes like IKEA and flat packages). So its time to do some construction work before the layout can be planed in scale 1:1. Looking at a computer screen is a bit to cyber to get the right feeling about buildings and track. But Templot works fine otherwise.

My question (among thousands) is how you join your baseboards. The MMM club in Sweden uses 8 mm screws in 10 mm holes to get some space for adjusting. Are there any other ways or ideas to do this? I would like to get some more input before I start drilling holes in the baseboards.

Mean while in Middleford a race is on: http://omkonstenattvaragud.blogspot.com ... -race.html

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:25 am

Gurra G wrote:My question (among thousands) is how you join your baseboards. The MMM club in Sweden uses 8 mm screws in 10 mm holes to get some space for adjusting. Are there any other ways or ideas to do this? I would like to get some more input before I start drilling holes in the baseboards.

You should have a look at the 'Baseboard Construction' page on the C & L web site with baseboard joiners and alinement dowels.

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?o ... temid=59#i

p.s. Love the new stories from Middleford.
Last edited by Dave K on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:25 am

Gurra G wrote:My question (among thousands) is how you join your baseboards. The MMM club in Sweden uses 8 mm screws in 10 mm holes to get some space for adjusting. Are there any other ways or ideas to do this? I would like to get some more input before I start drilling holes in the baseboards.

Gustav

If you look on here at Layouts and Operation, Baseboards and Carpentry and then go to Alignment dowel fixing you will find several posts that will assist. It will be covered in my series on baseboard building in the News but the relevant part won't be out until the July issue. You can also get baseboard dowels from Station Road Baseboards, 9 Station Road, North Elmham, Derham, Norfolk. NR20 5HH 01362 668457 www.stationroadbaseboards.co.uk

Terry Bendall

Gurra G

Postby Gurra G » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:36 pm

Thank you for al the information on the baseboard dowels. I will order some and return on the forum to report the progress of my baseboard project. The Templot layout takes time but I found a layout called Hostpital gates in a magazine that I liked a lot. I do think I will use that as a starter.

This has really nothing to do with my Middleford layout but I have to show what my friend Palmen brought to the club yesterday.

Palmen is well known for making wagons of things that is not used for modelrailway. In this case a commercial sign from Ericson radio systems was transformed to about 40 wagons and a container for head ace pills was transformed to a tank wagon.

The wagons are shown before painting and only a few that he had on the table when I hade my camera ready. Perhaps to inspire someone to scratch building.

A wagon for wooden chips scratch built
An Iron ore wagon
The head ace wagon
Som more blue wagons

Mean while in Middleford people are preparing for the Olympic Games: http://omkonstenattvaragud.blogspot.com/

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:12 am

Gurra G wrote:Palmen is well known for making wagons of things that is not used for modelrailway. In this case a commercial sign from Ericson radio systems was transformed to about 40 wagons and a container for head ace pills was transformed to a tank wagon.

The wagons are shown before painting and only a few that he had on the table when I hade my camera ready. Perhaps to inspire someone to scratch building.

That's some really good modelling, of the type that used to be so common before the production of etched and whitemetal kits became easily accessible. Please pass on my compliments to Palmen.

It reminds me of the time that because I could neither find, nor afford, enough kits to build around twenty of the Ratio LNWR open goods wagons, I built one from the Ratio kit and then embarked on scratchbuilding a batch of all that I wanted from plasticard, copying the completed model. I had got half way through the build when I moved flat, and in the process I think I lost them without trace. Perhaps somethere there is a cardboard box with twenty wagon bodies in it that I will find again one day, but I doubt it :-(

Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Gurra G

Postby Gurra G » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Is it just me or is the summer taking all the effort from my modelling? I’m right now having great problems with my wagons or to be more correct, having problems getting started. The sun is shining and the room in the attic is hot like a frying pan.

The baseboards are making some progress but still lack track and houses. Middleford is still just a dream of a world that was. But on the bright side I have had plenty of time to think of the best layout and how to make the most of it.

But as usual the modelling have to wait until the autumn sets in. Summer is for garden, renovating houses and bicycling on the countryside. This in its turn gives more ideas for what to do on the layout. The summer is for inspiration.

I guess this is my statement or excuse why Middleford right now is lacking attention.

Mean while in Middleford the fox hunt is taking its toll. http://omkonstenattvaragud.blogspot.com ... -hunt.html

Gustav

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:10 am

Gurra G wrote:Is it just me or is the summer taking all the effort from my modelling? I’m right now having great problems with my wagons or to be more correct, having problems getting started. The sun is shining and the room in the attic is hot like a frying pan.

You're not the only one... Lawns need cutting, family day-trips out, and travel with work during the quieter time of the year all mean that modelling time is reduced.

As you say, there is a plus side as we now have a new joint study where my workbench is even more convenient, so I can turn between laptop and solderng iron immediately. Perhaps there is time for some more progress before this week's area group meeting...

Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Gurra G

Postby Gurra G » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:53 pm

The art of giving up!

I do have to apologise for my lack of skills, artistry and fine mechanics. My project for the Armchair modellers challenge went right down the tubular system built by the plumber from a very hot and uncomfortable place.

The soldering was ok with some minor burns and loss of skin. (Yes I did melt some of the delicate white metal) The paint job was dreadful and the mechanical work even (if possible) worse. Under no circumstances will I be able to show this on a competition so right now I will return to my plan of Middleford and the track work. Perhaps in November I will be able to unpack the wagons to make a scrapping scene on my layout portraying burnt out wagons. (In my dreams I had even better ideas not worth mentioning here)

So for now I will return to my blogg and my layout.
http://omkonstenattvaragud.blogspot.com ... rubgy.html
Gustav

Gurra G

Postby Gurra G » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:35 pm

To day I finally got time to ”hang around” in the garage. The weather in my part of Sweden was on the modeller’s side. I started out making the corners for my baseboards and in a Short while I will, like an IKEA furniture, put al the pieces together in the right order. There are four baseboards wit the dimensions 120 cm X 60 cm (About 4” X 2”) I will use three of them in my layout and the fourth will be the hidden fiddle yard when I take the layout out on a show here in Sweden.

A flat package from IKEA?

So now we go back to Templot and start the work on a little layout that I can start with for Middleford.

Meanwhile in Middleford there been an accident: http://omkonstenattvaragud.blogspot.com ... ident.html

Gustav

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:23 pm

Gurra G wrote:To day I finally got time to ”hang around” in the garage. The weather in my part of Sweden was on the modeller’s side. I started out making the corners for my baseboards and in a Short while I will, like an IKEA furniture, put al the pieces together in the right order.

If you can do that, then you are very welcome here when we fit a new Ikea kitchen! The last one that we built in our former home was excellent, but sometimes you do need an expert to translate the instructions. They can make understanding CSB plots seem easy!

Good luck with your baseboards, and I hope that the good folk of Middleford soon have sound foundations.

Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:20 pm

Flymo748 wrote:..They can make understanding CSB plots seem easy!..

I'm sorry I don't understand

Will

Gurra G

Postby Gurra G » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:00 pm

This autumn in Sweden has been something else. Warm weather is not the upside for modelling. But now when the sun sets at five pm nobody can blame you for sitting inside enjoying modelling. So from now I will try to update my progress (if any) a little more frequently.

Well my baseboards are finished and ready to be installed in my hobby room. The total length of the three boxes will be 360 cm and the width 60 cm. The crosses in the middle are just to make sure the boxes are square while mounting them onto the shelf system. I will replace them in due time with plywood with reinforcements under. Now finally the fun work can start and I can realise my layout of Middleford.

The flat package from IKEA turned out to three boxes.

Meanwhile there has been a Bank crash in Middleford: http://omkonstenattvaragud.blogspot.com ... crash.html

Return to “Layouts and Operations”