Layout idea

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
allanferguson

Re: Layout idea

Postby allanferguson » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Mark Tatlow wrote:If you are going to go down the route of interlaced turnouts (and this would be right for most of your era trackwork) then do not get too precious about things like sleeper spacings as the protoype didn't at this time.

I most heartily agree! Also I now use plastic functional chairs exclusively, and the one area where these don't work is in the area of the common crossing, so I've developed the practice of soldering all four bits of rail to a brass baseplate the same thickness as rivets / chair bases; it can then be filed back to the footprint of the rail bases, glued down to the ply sleepers, and supported by cosmetic half chairs
Copy of Crossing 1.JPG

Incidentally I built this particular turnout using C & L components; I later realised that the range of special chairs supplied by Exactoscale make it much easier to fit, in particular, the check rails.

I do rather feel we have hijacked the original thread -- should this be moved to a new thread?

Allan F
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:50 pm

Not at all Allan, I find it very interesting and helpful.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:52 am

In so far as planning small (very small) layouts goes, I think nothing beats setting it all out at full size on paper. I'm currently fiddling about with the next Horsley variation - the Gasworks - and apart from a 'back of the fag packet' sketch, I'm laying it out full size on some lining paper using the Society templates tacked down with spraymount. At least that way it costs next to nothing and I can keep coming back to it over a period of weeks and make alterations. The templates can be easily modified by slitting them almost through and curving to suit. A long length of plastic conduit held down with books, tools, blu tack, bottles of single Malt etc. or your third hand, is ideal for setting out the plain track between the turnouts. It also has the advantage that you can plot all the electrical feeds and breaks in situ and use actual trains to check the critical bits like clearances on loops and length of headshunts.

newport_rod

Postby newport_rod » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:23 pm

I think that this process is a lot easier with Templot (once you’ve got over the initial steep part of the learning curve). And it leaves your bottle of single malt free!

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:51 pm

Guys where can I get hold of the Association templates, I can find the track ones, are there templates for turnouts too?

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:16 pm

dgp1957 wrote:Guys where can I get hold of the Association templates, I can find the track ones, are there templates for turnouts too?

If you select Members Area Index, above, you will be connected to the main index page ( you've guessed ) :-)

Near the top on the left side you wil find a link to the srores ordering page, scroll about half way down for "Turnout Construction Templates"
voila ! select the one(s) you want and use Create Order For Me button to create an order form. You then are given a choice of online payment or print the form to send by snail mail.

regards
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:28 pm

Thanks Les

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:16 am

Guys, I was wondering if someone with Templot could see if this layout idea (got from the New Railway Modeller forum) would fit in my 6' x 15" work area? Im not sure about the turnout sizes in using P4, know they are longer than 00 turnouts.

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:15 pm

I doubt the plan in the OP could be got into a 6' length - turnout sizes are given here.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:50 pm

Guys, I was wondering if someone with Templot could see if this layout idea (got from the New Railway Modeller forum) would fit in my 6' x 15" work area?

Have Templot and could do, but what plan? It was established way back at the start of this topic that the layout in the first post will not fit.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:01 pm

As I said in my first response it doesn’t fit. That conclusion was arrived at from drawing it in TEMPLOT as I said.

Alan

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:19 pm

http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21&p=1027&hilit=servo4#p30
which is what I said, but that was related to David's first post which attributed the plan to an Oguage publication, now he is asking about some plan from the Railway Modeller.
So, David, where is the plan?
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:50 pm

:oops: Guys Im really sorry I forgot to put the bitmap on the message, here it is :oops:
13.GIF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:10 pm

if the length of this is 6 feet then its width is about 9". If the width is 15" then the length is about 12 feet. Please clarify.

Alan

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:29 pm

Sorry Alan, I wanted to know if this layout configuration would fit into a 6' x 15" box?

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:07 pm

Your basic plan using A5.75 turnouts, which are the minimum for P4. Track spacing increased to 14 feet to accomodate goods shed.

Alan

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:01 pm

Thanks Alan

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:04 pm

using A5.75 turnouts, which are the minimum for P4
Rather a definitive statement that Alan for what is essentially an arbitrary decision. The prototype got rather shorter than that in Industrial sidings. Thomas W Wards catalogue went down to 1:2 although I think it would be straining things even for a 9ft wb wagon.
But essentially any such 'minimum' depends on what you want to run on it.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:34 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:
using A5.75 turnouts, which are the minimum for P4
Rather a definitive statement that Alan for what is essentially an arbitrary decision.
Keith

I assumed what was wanted was a reasonable representation of a typical passenger terminus. In reality nothing less than B8 (?) would be used and in model form B6. A5.75 happens to have a minimum radius just above 36", which I have always taken to be the minimum for reliable operational use and looks. That's why I said minimum.

If what is required is an industrial railway with 0-4-0 locos and 4 wheel wagons then yes you can go lower. That is not what I perceived as being wanted here.

However if you want, this is using 9ft loose heal switches and 1:4 crossing.

Alan

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:33 pm

Thanks again guys, I guess its down to me not knowing anything about turnouts etc. I'm really struggling to get hold of the terminology, might just built the layout in 00, that way I'll know what I'm looking for :D

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:51 pm

might just built the layout in 00, that way I'll know what I'm looking for

If you want that much layout in 6 feet you will have to build it in N, ;)

With 4mm scale whether 00 or P4 six feet is only going to be a test track or some industrial siding.

Consider that a 2 coach train with tank engine will be 2 feet long so if it is to start from somewhere and go somewhere that is 4 feet of your space already used up. That leaves 2 feet for any pointwork in the middle, allowing for the reverse curves to bring the track back parallel and you can manage a crossover or two turnouts, or a combination of the two.
Essentially you are looking at the typical 'Inglenook' mini layout with sidings and headshunt 2 feet long.

This is enough to practice and learn all the skills needed for an eventual bigger layout and to test rolling stock as it is built.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:31 pm

Aye its just so frustrating lol, I will just concentrate on trying to get the lining right on my loco :?

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:13 pm

dgp1957 wrote:Aye its just so frustrating lol, I will just concentrate on trying to get the lining right on my loco :?

Building a small layout doesn't have to be frustrating, and as Keith says, it's an excellent way to learn new skills.

You can take inspiration from a number of sources. Have a look at Horsley Bank on the Scaleforum Retrospective pages http://www.scalefour.org/shows/S4um2010/horsley.html or at the new layout that Chris nevard is planning on his blog http://nevardmedia.blogspot.com/2010/12/brewery-project-back-of-envelope-sketch.html.

Both of those would have much enjoyment in building, and be more involving to operate than you may imagine.

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Layouts and Operations”