Layout idea

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
dgp1957

Layout idea

Postby dgp1957 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:36 pm

Folks I came across this layout plan in the 0 gauge society document "Small layouts" "Beadnale & Bamburgh", I was thinking that I could try and build a similar layout maybe about 5 or 6 feet x 1 foot 6 inches in P4, is this quite feasable? Also any ideas on improvements would be very grateful (especially regarding point sizes etc)

1jpg.jpg

I apologise for the simplistic picture (I only have Paint on my PC) big change from AutoCad when I was working :D

Thanks
David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alan Turner

Re: Layout idea

Postby Alan Turner » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:32 am

You need catch points on the siding exits. Save space by using a tandem turnout at the righthand end.

Auto-CAD equivalent but FREE is: http://doublecad.com/Products/DoubleCAD ... fault.aspx

Alan

PS just tried to run it up on Templot. Bottom line, it ain't going to fit. Suggest you have a look at: http://www.scalefour.org/shows/S4SW2010/llanastr.html

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:42 am

Thanks Alan, :D Llanastr looks very neat, just what I'm looking for, do you have dimensions for the layout? and what turnouts would you recommend for the layout?
If I was to use CR buildings and structures etc for this layout, it wouldn't look out of place would it?

Thanks
David

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Llanastr is 6'-0" x 15". I believe it uses B6 turnouts.

You might consider Iain Rice's take on it as shown in "An approach to model railway layout design" - Wild Swan. That layout is 6'-6" x 21"

Alan

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Thanks Alan, had a look on amazon for the book, came up priced 178 pounds, just a wee bit too much for me at the moment :D

David

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:02 pm

big change from AutoCad when I was working

Try the free version of 'DoubleCAD XT', the price is right, just ignore the pleadings to upgrade to the paid version.
http://www.doublecad.com/
unless, of course, it would be to much like work ;)
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:50 pm

The reason I'm going for this size of layout is that I have an old N gauge layout, made up in a nice cabinet with lights etc, size 6' x 15"x 4'high, so I was going to strip out the n gauge stuff and build a new one with P4.

David

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:32 pm

dgp1957 wrote:The reason I'm going for this size of layout is that I have an old N gauge layout, made up in a nice cabinet with lights etc, size 6' x 15"x 4'high, so I was going to strip out the n gauge stuff and build a new one with P4.

That sounds like an excellent way to get something moving without delay.

Have you seen the pictures of Horsley Bank in the Scaleforum Retrospective? It shows how much atmosphere can be put into a space only 4' x 2'.

http://www.scalefour.org/shows/S4um2010/horsley.html

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:24 pm

Absolutely stunning, as you say very atmospheric, lovely layout.

David

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:37 am

David,

My take on Elan to save you £178!

Templot Pages.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:34 pm

Lol thanks Alan :D is that a traverser on the top left hand of the plan? So is that a slip (or maybe a diamond crossing) and two left hand turnouts I'll be needing ;)

Oops, forgot to ask, so what is the best way of starting off, building the turnouts and putting them in place then add the plain track to suit?

David

DavidM

Postby DavidM » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:55 am

dgp1957 wrote:Thanks Alan, had a look on amazon for the book, came up priced 178 pounds, just a wee bit too much for me at the moment :D

David

There's one on eBay right now - current bid less than five quid!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAYOUT-DESIGN-Iain-Rice-/170563354486?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item27b65e3f76

David

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:43 am

dgp1957 wrote:Lol thanks Alan :D is that a traverser on the top left hand of the plan? So is that a slip (or maybe a diamond crossing) and two left hand turnouts I'll be needing ;)

Oops, forgot to ask, so what is the best way of starting off, building the turnouts and putting them in place then add the plain track to suit?

David

Yes and a single slip.

Best way to start off is to set it out on the board. It looks deceptively simple but there is some quite tricky geometry to work out.

Congratulations on noticing the station turnout is a contraflexture left hand rather than a right hand turnout that may be supposed at first glance.

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:23 pm

Alan, Im going to order my first points kit, I like the look of the C&L finescale timber tracks kit, they only do a B6 type in their kits, would this be suitable?

David

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:49 pm

dgp1957 wrote:Alan, Im going to order my first points kit, I like the look of the C&L finescale timber tracks kit, they only do a B6 type in their kits, would this be suitable?

I'd just point out that if you're going to model a rural Caley branch line, the points would almost certainly have interlaced sleepers.

DT

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:27 am

Hi David sorry to show my ignorance but what are interlaced sleepers, and what is the best way to model them?

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:22 pm

Points built with interlaced sleepers use ordinary sleepers, at least up to the "Vee". There are no long timbers up to there, though I believe that long timbers were (sometimes? always?) used after that point. Some examples here: http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?i ... mp_to=4033

DT

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:44 pm

DaveyTee wrote:Points built with interlaced sleepers use ordinary sleepers, at least up to the "Vee". There are no long timbers up to there, though I believe that long timbers were (sometimes? always?) used after that point. Some examples here: http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?i ... mp_to=4033

DT

And as you are already thinking of using TimberTracks, you'll find that there is one interlaced track base already in their range.

Halfway down http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54#trackbases is "NER 1:8 Turnout - Interlaced Sleepers". I couldn't comment how close NER practice is to CR, but I suspect that it is a very good starting point.

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:48 pm

Which appears to answer my uncertainty; full interlacing can continue after the "V" crossing.

Much depends on the period you are modelling and the type of railway. Gradually after the grouping, many interlaced points were replaced by conventional long-timbered ones, particularly on main lines, but interlaced points remained in situ on branch lines and many goods yards right up until closure. I'm sure some still exist.

DT

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:50 pm

Regarding Interlaced sleepering, there has been a good deal of discussion about this amongst Caledonian modellers, and my view, which I think might be supported by most of those modellers, is that The Caledonian Railway used interlaced sleepering for both main lines and sidings up until grouping; that no long timbers were used; that after 1923 the LMS and BR would have gradually replaced these with the more modern timbered layouts, but sometimes the timbering was carried out under the crossing only; and that by BR times virtually only sidings would still be sleepered. All of this, incidentally, applies to plain turnouts; it isn't at all clear what happened under slips, diamond crossings, etc, though I can't see how they could have been done without using 12" timbers.

In my view, the Timbertracks kit, though based on an NER design, is an excellent representation of a CR turnout, and it's certainly a lot easier than handlaying the individual sleepers.

Allan F

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:00 am

by all means use the Timber Tracks but they are for "B" type switches. As you are only building 2 or 3 turnouts and if you are going to the trouble to use interlaced timbering then why not go the full mile and use the proper switchs?

The Timber Tracks then of course won't work but for a couple of turnouts I would have thoght it worth getting right?

Alan

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:29 am

dgp1957 wrote:Hi David sorry to show my ignorance but what are interlaced sleepers, and what is the best way to model them?

Hi David,

You'll also find an article by A C B Brenchley on interlaced timbering in our archives. It's from the Protofour Society's Precision No3, April 1972. It mentions the Caledonian too.

All the Best
Danny

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:20 pm

Although I'm not the David you're referring to, can I just say thanks for looking out this useful and informative article - very helpful.

DT

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:58 pm

DaveyTee wrote:Although I'm not the David you're referring to, can I just say thanks for looking out this useful and informative article - very helpful.

DT

You're welcome the other David :)

Sadly, although I can't remember mundane things like my mobile number, I do remember anything that I've ever logged in my mind as 'might be useful' (obviously my phone number isn't, as I don't ring myself) and I can actually remember getting the first few copies of Precision (aged 15).

Incidentally Tony Brenchley is still a member of the Scalefour Society.

All the Best
Danny

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:34 pm

If you are going to go down the route of interlaced turnouts (and this would be right for most of your era trackwork) then do not get too precious about things like sleeper spacings as the protoype didn't at this time.

I have found that interlaced turnouts can be a little floppy because a large degree of the diverging lines are not connected to each other - this can mean the turnout does not go down as it is intended. I therefore pop in a couple of extra rivets where the running line of one branch goes over the timbers of the other. These extra rivets are pretty subtle and do not get seen. You can not do this as readily with C&L/P4 Track Co solutions as they do not use rivets.
Mark Tatlow

Return to “Layouts and Operations”