Cadhay Sidings layout thread

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
CDGFife

Re: Cadhay Sidings layout thread

Postby CDGFife » Sat May 06, 2023 9:39 am

garethashenden wrote:I like the look of that mill! But then I’ve always had a soft spot for brick mills.

Yes I could not believe such a lovely building was in exactly the right place when I found it!

Some more progress on the Mill and it's surroundings:

05-01.jpg

05-02.jpg

05-03.jpg

Plus some work on the cow paddock and approach track:

05-04.jpg

05-05.jpg

This is where the gate will be so trying to simulate hoove-trampled earth and worn away grass:

05-06.jpg

and an overall shot of the board:

05-07.jpg

Cheers

CDG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Thu May 18, 2023 10:51 am

A little more progress on the Tipton Mill board. Things should hopefully accelerate now the East Group AGM is out of the way and the commission layout I'm building goes to it's home next week!

05-08.jpg

05-09.jpg

05-10.jpg

And moved forward on the cow paddock also:

05-11.jpg

05-12.jpg

Board D is set up ready and waiting for this one to be connected so Track Bed can be put down and the track laid.

Cheers

CDG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat May 20, 2023 9:01 pm

That first picture of your "cow paddock" looks absolutely excellent.

Since moving into rural North Somerset, I have become extremely familiar with The Way of the Cow, and your representation is spot on. Particularly that area towards the front of the picture, which I assume will be where a gate, or gap in a hedge will go. As a runner, those patches of ground are renowned for in the winter being churned up quagmires, and in the summer for being so dry and rutted you could easily break an ankle crossing them :-)

Very nicely observed indeed... I'm really looking forward to seeing more progress on this.

Best,
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:03 pm

Well a slight delay in reporting progress due to a week down south incorporating delivery of a layout to a customer and additional work on another that was delivered last year, and the minor matter of the Marillion Weekend in Leicester. Back at it this week inn prep for Perth Show - here's that state of play as at Friday:

More grass added to embankments and other areas:
001.jpg

Pathways, cobbles and texture added:
002.jpg

Board E mated to Board D and on its own legs:
003.jpg

004.jpg

And setting them up allowed an unusual view of the cottage and conversation on Board D:

005.jpg

Cheers

CDG

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:05 pm

Thanks Paul.

Yes there will be a gate and what you describe is exactly what I was aiming for. Fencing and gates are due next so should be some more meaningful photos of that area coming shortly.

Cheers

CDG

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:41 am

Still busy "preparing" for Perth!

Some snaps of the latest progress:

Stables now built and fixed - need to do the groundwork next (the cobbles are just placed not fixed yet)
006.jpg

More roof structure to the Mill plus fencing and landscaping around it
007.jpg

Also fencing on the other side
008.jpg

Board E connected to Board D and track fixed for that half
009.jpg

Reference photo of the real Tipton Mill for comparison (mine is mirrored)
b7e2bd5d-aa92-48cf-926b-d176a9e74022.jpg

photo: Nick Booth/Historic England

Then Board E turned round to align the other half of track - the curved boards have to work in both orientations, one for Exhibitions and the opposite for in my workshop!
010.jpg

Oh and Board F is now assembled so scenics and track for that next!

Highpeak

Postby Highpeak » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:07 am

I like the depth of the scene with the railway really set into the landscape, and as Paul noted the "cow paddock" is well observed and modelled.
Neville
If at first you don't succeed, try reading the instructions.

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:09 am

Thanks Neville - that's exactly what I'm aiming for in the scenic design.

Progress as at end of play Friday (with the weekend taken up with east Group meeting and Mother-in-law duties).

Board F now on legs and connected to E with backscenes mocked up
011.jpg

So now the track is laid (it is now just not in these photos!) we're turning the full 90 degrees to the new fiddle yard position
012.jpg

Cheers

CDG

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:07 pm

Bit more progress towards being ready for Perth next weekend(!!) - posted mainly to stop Lindsay Galloway worrying about deadlines....... ;)

State of play as at first thing this morning
013.jpg

And here we are at lunchtime:
Track is down on both boards and wired up
014.jpg

Terrain completed around the stable block - I have some beautiful 3d printed pan tiles from my mate Jim Rowbottom that are primed and awaiting paint
015.jpg

the water is in at the weir and mill race
016.jpg

big epoxy pour in this heat - just within manufacturer's specification, but I used a USB fan just in case!!
017.jpg

Waterwheel highlights added too...
018.jpg

Lasercutting the lids/lighting pelmets this afternoon, so not much scenic development expected today now!

Cheers

CDG

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:29 am

Quick few photos to show where we're at ready for Perth this weekend.

Anyone on here that visits - feel free to drop by and say hello!

Not the best photos but taken quickly with my phone as I'm off to see Peter Gabriel in Glasgow shortly!

019.jpg

020.jpg

The Binder that will be working this field is packed away in the van already!!
021.jpg

022.jpg

Cheers

CDG

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:00 pm

Quite superb!

Mike

Alan Woodard

Postby Alan Woodard » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:24 am

Excellent modelling.

Al.

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:41 am

Thanks Mike and Alan for your kind comments.

Few pictures taken at Perth Exhibition this weekend. Great time had by all and on breakdown we were ready for the van around 1.25 hours after the Exhibition finished.

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

Cheers

CDG

Worzels Works

Postby Worzels Works » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:45 pm

What a lovely scene CDG! the kind of layout I could see myself happily watching trains roll on past for hours on end, just about to have a catch up and read through the thread, but for such a layout size a very impressive pack down time too. As well as lightning scenic progress in the run up to Perth it seems!
Apologies if its written fairly recently but how do you operate the layout with the sidings, a quick scan reveals you run to a timetable, I guess there are timetabled pick up goods?
Yours aye,
James

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:50 pm

Thanks James for your comments.

Yes the timetable has 3 pickup goods scheduled for the day (excessive I know, but so is the intensity of the schedule anyway!!!). The sidings operator has a list of outgoing stock that they need to get ready for the stopper to pick up, and then they need to distribute the stock the stopper drops off to the relevant places. The final (4th) stopper is actually locked in the sidings (token returned to the sidings box) to allow a passenger train to bypass it (and demonstrate the lock-in), but this is only a short train to position the stock in the sidings for the timetable to start again the following day and take the horses home.

Cheers

Chris

Return to “Layouts and Operations”