The Burford Branch

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
John Donnelly
Web Team

Re: The Burford Branch

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:51 am

Very nice Martin, I'm just about to embark on a project that requires a fairly large area of stone sets so watching your progress has been invaluable.

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:23 am

Martin they are looking very nice. the Paving looks like it is toning in nicely.

I have found that using the Humbol blue grey wash sometimes works to bring out the colours, by creating shadows in the textures. I have been using this fairly recently on a building (my Wills water Mill). I think I am starting to get better at toning the colours in. One thing from my day job I have noticed that some building weather very badly and the dust from the atmosphere is the same blacky blue colour as the wash. Some times more black that the out of the bottle wash. However some colours namely browns take a lot to discolour them. I have a building near me which was painted in "Hogbristle" which is a brown here in Australia. Is the same colour now as 5 and a half years ago! Where as any "white" render goes a grey very quickly and is impossible to patch paint/ render.

Any how these are just observations.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:08 pm

Thanks for your kind remarks, gents.

Perhaps slightly by accident, I produced a mottled stone effect as a result of dry brushing a slightly different colour over the first coat. (I have produced this effect deliberately elsewhere on the layout when aiming to reproduce the appearance of 'tired' or distressed paintwork.)

I may try this again when re-working the colour of the setts at the left-hand end of the goods yard, before applying more sepia colour to the joints between the setts.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:30 pm

The other day I managed to get some final finishing jobs done on the goods yard paving. Rather than retouching the joints with more water colour, I mixed a thin wash of Humbrol 72 (Khaki Drill) with some Matt Black, well diluted with turps, and brushed this over the coal yard area at the left-hand end of the goods yard, quickly wiping the surplus off the surface of the stone setts, leaving a residue in the joints and a slight darkening of the surface in this area. This area will get coal dumped over a large part of it, so I could afford to experiment.

IMG_7357.JPG

The result was acceptable, and so (after sticking the drain cover in place in the yard and applying some Dark Earth weathering to this) I used the same method to touch up the jointing in that part of the yard. I decided that the other areas of the yard were OK, and that no further colouring or touching up was required.

IMG_7355.JPG

With the paving finished, I could now fill in the gaps that I had deliberately left between the stone setts and the track. In some paved goods yards the stone paving was laid right up to the rail, but it seems to have been common practice to leave a gap a couple of feet wide, which was filled in with dirt/ash, etc or was planked over. I decided to use a dirt mix for the goods road, with planking on that part of the mileage siding where coal will be unloaded.

IMG_7356.JPG

IMG_7362.JPG

I represented the dirt or grit by a method I learnt from Gordon Gravett, painting the area to be treated with gloss paint (because it stays sticky longer than matt paint), onto which fine stone dust from Attwood Aggregates was then sieved through a fine mesh strainer and tamped with a finger. After leaving it a few hours for the underlying paint to dry, the surplus stone dust was then vacuumed off. I may add some additional texture later, as well as weathering the colour down slightly.

IMG_7364.JPG

The planking for the coal siding was cut from 1.5 mm balsa about 3 mm wide and glued down with Evostik. I wanted to produce a fairly rough and ready appearance here, so didn’t bother to fill in any gaps between the timbers. I didn’t have time to finish this completely before I took the photos, and so the timbers remain to be ‘distressed’ with a knife blade or scriber, and darkened with a suitable wash of paint plus a dusting of weathering powder.

IMG_7360.JPG

IMG_7368.JPG

Hopefully, I can get back soon to completing the detailing of the Station Building & Train Shed and the Goods Shed before going on to deal at long last with point rodding, rail chairs and ballast.

IMG_7366.JPG

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:09 pm

Excellent work there Martin. Well Done.

All Best

Dave

Tim Dubya

Postby Tim Dubya » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:17 pm

What he said!
Et super omnes humor

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:53 am

Thanks, gents.

One thing I forgot to mention was the colours I used for painting the stone setts. Having originally used a mix of Humbrol enamels – Matt White (34), Light Grey (64) and Khaki Drill (72), I ended up preferring the Revell enamels. For the final colouring I used their Matt White (5), Stone Grey (75) and Beige (89). The Humbrol colours are acceptable, and produce a reasonably satisfactory light stone colour, but the texture of the Revell enamels seems finer, and easier to stir and mix, and I think the overall colour I eventually produced with the Revell enamels was more ‘stone-like’ than my earlier efforts.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:56 pm

There has been an unavoidable pause in work on the layout in the past few weeks, due to my having been involved in a completely different project (entirely unconnected with model-making or railways).

But I took a few photos recently that show the current state of progress with the layout generally.

IMG_7388.JPG

IMG_7389.JPG

IMG_7390.JPG

IMG_7391.JPG

IMG_7392.JPG

IMG_7395.JPG

IMG_7387.JPG

A pause like this is a good opportunity to take stock and consider further work on the layout. I don’t know when I shall be able to resume work on this project, but I hope to get back to it before the New Year, if not sooner.

Return to “Layouts and Operations”