Boston Frodsham

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
mikeknowles

Re: Boston Frodsham

Postby mikeknowles » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:20 pm

If anyone's interested the layout is booked to appear at Scarborough Model Railway Show this Saturday (7th August). Venue is Newby & Scalby Village Hall, YO13 ORA, 10.00 to 17.00.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:33 am

mikeknowles wrote:Many thanks for the responses interesting to hear other people appear to share my views on the turnout kits.
So, continuing on from my previous post.

Next step was to fit the point tiebars and for this I picked up on Howard Bolton’s idea of using Glass Epoxy Laminate (GEL). Ambis brackets were soldered to the point blades (I’ve probably not folded them correctly but to say the instructions were vague….) and strips of GEL glued to these. Howard recommended the use of special glue for this but I just couldn’t bring myself to pay £24.00 for a small pot of glue (I am from Yorkshire after all). So I just used the normal medium viscosity superglue obtained from my local model shop – it all seems to be OK so far. The GEL strip was extended beyond the outside of the track at one side and a piece of brass angle glued to it. The operating wire from the Tortoise point motor passes through a hole in the angle, the whole lot will ultimately be hidden by cosmetic hand yard levers.

RSCN4430.jpg

RSCN4432.jpg

I should add that since these photos were taken the layout has now been moved into a section of the loft which has been fully panelled, insulated and heated so it's now kept warm and dry!

Mike, returning to your post on stretcher bars, can you say where you got your GEL from, and did you cut it into fine strips yourself or is it available somewhere pre-cut?

Cheers

Steve

mikeknowles

Postby mikeknowles » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:41 pm

Hello Steve, apologies for the delay in replying.
Unfortunately I can't remember where I got the GEL from other than I ordered it online. It came as an approximate A4 size sheet and I cut strips from it using a craft knife. I've still got 98% of the sheet left so happy to send you part of it if you like.

DavidM

Postby DavidM » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:54 pm

Steve,
It was quite a while ago, but I got some GEL from here:

https://www.hobbyplastic.co.uk/index.ph ... q83rhtv2i7

David

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:07 pm

Thanks David,

Looks just the thing!