South Pelaw Junction

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
John Donnelly
Web Team

Re: South Pelaw Junction

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:50 pm

Thanks for that. How easy would you say they are to retro fit as I'm laying my track directly on to the boards?

John

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:18 pm

I fitted my Masokits ones after laying the track, Wasn't particulary hard. I don't think fitting them to loose turnouts would be any easier.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:49 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:I fitted my Masokits ones after laying the track, Wasn't particulary hard. I don't think fitting them to loose turnouts would be any easier.

Thanks Keith.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:21 am

Well it's not much but it proves that I can build a single slip (tiebars and some chairs still to be added) without stuff falling off, at least in one direction :mrgreen:

Annoyingly, having made good progress with track laying and electrics, it looks like the new lockdown in the North East means that I'll not be able to work on the layout for a couple of weeks at least.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:49 am

Serjt-Dave wrote:I use the Masokits Tie bars and found them very good and reliable {so far}

A bit late to this but I have also used the Masokits stretcher rods and the work well. A bit fiddly to make up butthey work. My take on operation is a functional crank through the baseboard.

Terry Bendall

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:03 pm

Easing of lockdown has allowed access to the layout again (we are in Tier 3 in the North East but, as far as the council are concerned, we are a 'leisure' venue so are allowed access under the same rules as gyms) so I was able to go up last night.

The new Accurascale PTAs look good on the layout, Class 60 just used for testing, two Accurascale 37s will be taking it's place once they are released. Also, whilst the colours are correct for the Consett wagons, the rest of the livery details are not so some changes are requried.

Didn't have too long there but I did manage to start putting some servos and MERG servo mounts together and got the first one working with a MERG servo 4 board and DCC Concepts Cobalt lever.

So, not much, but at least it is progress in the right direction...

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:28 pm

I can now access the layout again with the recent easing of lockdown.

The final turnout on the down main has been built. At the moment, it is fully wired but has no tie bar so blades are chocked for testing:

Almost completed last night was a diamond on the up main which just leaves one more turnout to be built and the up main will also be complete along the initial 18' scenic section of the layout:

Check rails on the K crossings yet to be fitted but I prefer to make sure that I can run rolling stock through without them first.

Once that final turnout is built, the next job will be the mechanical connections to get the turnouts working on both mains.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Thu May 27, 2021 9:44 pm

The first train to make it all the way through the junction has made it's journey tonight from one temporary fiddle yard to the other...

A huge amount of work still to be done but it is good to be able to run something.

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Sat May 29, 2021 1:01 pm

Hello John.
It must be very satisfying to be able to run from one end of the layout to the other, especially having been excluded from making progress for so long.
Quite impressive.
Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sat May 29, 2021 9:36 pm

Thank you Tony, I'm very pleased with how things are going especially as a first go at hand building all my track on a layout that is twice as long as my two previous layouts put together.

Return to “Layouts and Operations”