Before I could continue, I had to go back two pages to find out which picture I last posted, which was more or less this one.
From here the bridge was packed away and the paper carefully removed to leave the pins in place to relocate the track. The amount of extra cork needed at this end of the baseboard can be seen here.
Yet the baseboard is well braced.
Possibly using multiple layers of Sundela board and carving the ditch has compromised the structural integrity of the surface layer. I carved through the first layer, then glued and clamped a second layer of Sundela underneath and allowed this to set before repeating the process until the required depth of cut was achieved. Four layers in total. I don't know if this was the case, but the next baseboard suffered from the same problem.
Anyway, the next sections of track were laid and ballasted. The white pin was used to make sure the center of the main lines on the printout aligned with the center of the track bed.
After cleaning up the following morning.
Here are the next two baseboards with the other half of the ditch to the right with two sets of outflow pipes toward the far end.
Retrieving the straight baseboard meant clearing off everything that had accumulated on top of it over time and the start of another clear up.
It was when I connected these two boards together that I discovered that, apart from the inside edge, the cork strips didn't quite line up. Printing out the Templot plan with the track bed edges and overlaying it on the baseboard showed where the problems lay.
I had previously determined that the concrete sleeper track needed 2.5mm cork rather than the 3mm cork I had already laid and the track bed was too narrow, so having marked the center line by putting pins down the length, I marked the new mid point and lifted the errant cork with a chisel to be replaced with a strip of 2.5mm cork. I had considered sanding a ramp in the cork at the baseboard joint to deal with the discrepancy, but as it was under width I decided to replace and be done with it. The 1.5mm cork for the outside curve I added an extra strip along the outside edge.
There were a number of watercourses present in the vicinity as can be seen from this map. I have highlighted them in blue.
For reference, the straight track along the edge of the baseboard is the one running alongside the factory and ends more or less where the black line goes vertical, where I believe there was a gate.
That at the top left has an arrow pointing from left to right showing the direction of flow, but the other two are just marked Drain. I presume they are all connected, but there is obviously a lot of culverting between them if so.
By the time the line reaches Ponders End station, Brimsdown ditch flows alongside the railway as an open channel for some distance and it was this feature I wished to replicate.
It also shows the second road bridge (referred to previously) that I need to model as a scenic break.
It was at this point that I began to wonder if I had a potential problem as the track had to meet at three places rather than just two.
Because I had started laying my track from the industrial sidings because of the saw tooth joint needed, this created an additional reference point for the track, so I had a center reference as well as two ends to deal with. With this in mind, I decided to print out a crosswise sheet showing the next baseboard joint complete with the background map to see how they corresponded. The Templot track bed edges were a good match with those on the map, which was reassuring, but there was a discrepancy between this and the cork as laid of about 4 to 5mm. Not that much, but more than enough to caused alignment problems if I carried on laying the track from the curved end. The answer, I decided, was to work my way out from the center in both directions. This meant clearing the next two 1500mm long baseboards and finding a clear working space some 4.5M long to assemble the four baseboards I required to do this.
The two shown above plus these two.
The loose ends connect into the up and down main lines.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.