Edington Junction

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Serjt-Dave

Re: Edington Junction

Postby Serjt-Dave » Mon May 13, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi All. Today I received the first two panels for my backscene and I think they look rather splendid. Only issue was the right hand panel end wasn't 100% square so couldn't join the two together, so the artist has taken it back to address this.

This part of the backscene sits in front of the Highbridge line to give the appearance that the line goes off in another direction. In the second image where the coach is, this is where the line will go through the backscene. To help defuse the sudden disappearance of the train there will be a sort of tapering screen which will sit in front of the line so to help shield the hole in the backscene. There will also be a copes of trees to help in the illusion. The trees etc will start just after the end of the Down Siding, so where the Guard end of the coach is, it should be almost hidden from view. Thankfully in real life there was a copes of trees in that area. Eventually once I start doing the scenic's in that area between the Bridgewater branch and the backscene the ground will slightly rise up from the line to just before the backscene, again this should give the effect making the backscene look further away.

All Best

Dave

20190513_143354.jpg
20190513_143455.jpg

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Wed May 15, 2019 3:37 pm

Dave this is looking excellent. Watching with interest for the next stages. Keep it up!!

Chris

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Wed May 15, 2019 5:21 pm

Thanks Chris, will do. The backscene will be the most professional bit about my layout. LOL.

All Best

Dave

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed May 15, 2019 7:27 pm

Serjt-Dave wrote:The backscene will be the most professional bit about my layout.

It is very neatly done. It's a shame that it looks so unlike any English countryside I've ever seen, and in particular, the countryside around the Edington station site. England is green, mostly, certainly, but definitely not all the same hue, and the land around the station site is very flat for up to a couple of miles, the most prominent objects being buildings and trees. The colours seem to lack the change in hue which comes from distance as well.
Regards
Noel

Alan Woodard

Postby Alan Woodard » Wed May 15, 2019 8:19 pm

I like it. it reminds me of an area between Swindon and Bristol on the M4. The hue for me is just right if the sky was a little darker. But hey, I'd have it on my layout.

Al.

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Thu May 16, 2019 1:53 am

Dave, I have to say that I share some of Noel's views about the backscene.

Here is a selection of views I have culled from Street View and annotated to give some idea of location and direction of shot:
Levels horizons.jpg
You can see that in some places the line of the Mendip and Polden ridges shows up quite well - they are quite a bit more blue than the foreground scene, and a little washed out from atmospheric dust etc (but not much - shots were taken on a clear day).

I fancy the green in your backscene could do with a bit more yellow in it. As it stands, it is a trifle on the lush side.

The two shots taken at Huntspill Crossing (next manned crossing west of Edington) are representative of the open meadows in this area, allowing long distance views completely devoid of undulations until you reach the Mendips or Poldens, with the exception of Brent Knoll, a prominence visible over quite long distances across the Levels. Glastonbury Tor is also just about visible, but at this distance from it you have to know where to look for it. At the site of Edington station it has become a little more apparent, but can hardly be said to be a dominating feature of the landscape.

By Shapwick, you are moving into an area in which trees and bushes more severely constrict the horizon. Distant prospects still occasionally open up, but it is not until you pass Aqueduct Crossing that you get a view of Glastonbury unobstructed by trees and hedges.

This first section of the Somerset Central is carried over the peat moors on a formation resting on fagots such as to elevate it only a foot or so above the surrounding countryside. So devoid of contours is this part of the route that your view goes no further than the nearest line of trees or bushes - though the pictures show that in somes cases these can be several hundred yards away.

I would love to see a backscene that captures these characteristics of this distinctive and special landscape, and as yet I think your artist has missed a trick or two. Sorry for the critical note; hope the pictures help.

Return to “Layouts and Operations”