Bristol Barrow Road

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
barrowroad

Bristol Barrow Road

Postby barrowroad » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:04 pm

This is a new post on this forum but those who view my blog on Rmweb will be familiar with the progress of my layout.
Bristol Barrow Road is my own project to build a model of the former Midland Roundhouse, Workshop and shed yard with trains operating past the shed on the old Midland main line from Bristol to Gloucester. Parts of the layout have been to each of the Society Shows since 2009 in order to show progress but this week has seen the first full operation of the main line with trains running the full circuit of the layouts 21 base boards.
Last evening the Glevum area group held their monthly meeting at mine and tested the layout with their locos and rolling stock. The test identified a few glitches with the track but this has been remedied today and I have taken the attached video to show the running of two trains.

43762 and 48305 passing Bristol Barrow Road Shed

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKoS8jt5-4M&feature=youtu.be
[/youtube]

The Bachmann 3F is modified with a set of drop in Ultrascale wheels and has no compensation.
The 8F is based on an upgraded Comet chassis and Hornby body - please correct me if I'm wrong Morgan.

Le Corbusier

Re: Bristol Barrow Road

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:16 pm

click the youtube button above to embed in your post then paste in just the code ... in this case EKoS8jt5-4M

Tim Lee

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:23 pm

Very nice Robin.
Some interesting noises on the video.

Gordon A

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Looks good Robin; the passenger train is a tad short though so I think Morgan needs to get busy!!

Great to see it on this forum too, please do continue!
Mark Tatlow

Postby 45609 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Mark Tatlow wrote:Looks good Robin; the passenger train is a tad short though so I think Morgan needs to get busy!!

Great to see it on this forum too, please do continue!

Yes that did get mentioned last night Mark. No rest for the wicked. You might remember these coaches doing a stint on Portchullin.

Morgan

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:11 pm

45609 wrote:No rest for the wicked.

You must have been very wicked!!

And I do remember them going around Portchullin; and the 8F. I seem to remember the fixed chassis black 5 could not master my rather crap trackwork!!
Mark Tatlow

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Thanks Tim - I cut and pasted the whole link rather than just the code.
Mark, I will be able to run a longer rake of coaches when I add AJ's to the Comet coaches seen behind the Ash and Coal plant.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:01 pm

barrowroad wrote:Thanks Tim - I cut and pasted the whole link rather than just the code.
Mark, I will be able to run a longer rake of coaches when I add AJ's to the Comet coaches seen behind the Ash and Coal plant.

great video :thumb
Tim Lee

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:28 pm

Very good Robin. A much needed spur for my own efforts this year!

Philip

Paulhb

Postby Paulhb » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:51 am

Lovely!

Regards Paul

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:37 am

Excellent!
I am so peeved that when I was in Bristol from 1960 -'63 I was so tied up with studies, beer and women that I never visited Barrow Road or St. Philips.
My teenage railway interest was overly GWR biased and too narrow....I barely new of MR in Bristol.
So many lost opportunities :(

Hey, thanks Robin for putting my past right for me.

I observe that new baseboards are still modular and clamped together with light weight trestles. I hope the Glevum Group will encourage you to reverse your decision not to exhibit........happy to wait until you are ready and then offer another pair of carrying arms.

Terry Bendall

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:27 am

Very impressive Robin and thanks for sharing it.

barrowroad wrote:Last evening the Glevum area group held their monthly meeting at mine and tested the layout with their locos and rolling stock.

Interesting that visiting stock can generally run well on another layout. No reason why not of course if it is all built to the same standards, which being P4 it will be.

Paul Townsend wrote: I hope the Glevum Group will encourage you to reverse your decision not to exhibit........

Yes indeed although I can appreciate why this might not happen. I know an exhibition where the layout would be appreciated... :thumb

Terry Bendall

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 am

Paul, you really missed out there. Barrow Road was a haven for big chunky LMS and Standard locos in the heart of Western Region territory. As a teenager in the early sixties I lived about 6 inches (in 4mm scale) off the southern end of Barrow Road viaduct. I saw the decline including the influx of WR locos after the Marsh closed.

When I drive through there these days I get a lump in the throat when I think that a whole chapter of my life has been all but eradicated. :( Long gone are the cuts and grazes incurred by falling off the swings and roundabout in the play park alongside the coaling plant. I can still recall the sights, sounds and smells as locos arrived on shed for servicing in the evenings and the greasy goo which stuck to your hands and clothes as you climbed over the wall round the back in Days Road. :)

BRILL Summer Special No.8 had an excellent chapter on the shed. I'll bring it along to our next meeting.

Roy

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:45 pm

Hi,
Lovely video, thanks for posting.

Regards,
Tony.

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:49 pm

Hi Terry/Paul,
I appreciate the desire for the layout to appear at exhibitions, however the logistics of taking it to an exhibition together with the cost made me decide a while ago that it would be a home based layout. Like several other owners of large layouts I have decided to invite friends and visitors to come an operate the layout rather than take it to exhibitions. I'm sure Terry will appreciate the cost of inviting a large layout, which would require a team of 10+ plus the hire of a small lorry, might put off exhibition managers even if I was willing to exhibit it.
At some future date, when the roundhouse has an operational turntable I may consider taking that part of the layout to Scaleforum but as for the whole layout - 21 boards - the answer is definitely no. Sorry.

Robin

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:37 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:
Interesting that visiting stock can generally run well on another layout. No reason why not of course if it is all built to the same standards, which being P4 it will be.

Terry Bendall

We even had a mixed rake at one point, which ran pretty happily for the most part! This was very much down to Morgan being organised and helpful in sharing info on how his Mk1 rake have been modified and set up. These were supplemented by Mk1s and Thompsons which I'm in the process of doing along the same lines (though yet to have masokits gangways added).

Return to “Layouts and Operations”