Simons workbench industrials. Nonneminstre Coles crane.

What individual members are up to.
davebradwell

Re: Simons workbench industrials. RSH high level kit

Postby davebradwell » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:32 pm

Like an earlier post I'm struggling with a number of concepts here - I'd just poke an old brush through the spokes to paint the frames. You're going to splodge rust and much all over it later so no point in a first class finish - frames had texture.

It's very sound advice to plan to fit wheels only once but I've managed to sneak them off on occasions. Yes, they may not grip quite so tightly so try it first before you buy another set (I've never done this) ....but only take them off if necessary. If wheels don't shift during cleaning they're probably tight enough! You can adjust endfloat with washers that have the hole slotted out to the side but leaving a narrow throat so they clip in place. If you're gluing wheels on I suggest turning/filing a small groove 1mm from end of axle to hold the Loctite otherwise it's just pushed along by the close fit.

You're clearly a very quick and neat worker, Simon but I would suggest that steam chassis may call for a lower gear with an obsession for removing burrs and checking fits. Your loose axles trouble me as the jigging process requires minimal clearance if there's to be a chance of an accurate outcome so some adjustment of the rods may be required when you come back to it.

Tabs and slots are difficult to get right due to variations in the etching process, especially in holes below twice material thickness. If slots are tight just push a piece of scrap etch in and wiggle it about - there's usually a bit somewhere on the fret that's the right size. They're a lot better than no tab and slot!

DaveB

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:11 pm

Thanks Dave
At the moment the chassis is still very much a work in progress. It will almost certainly need washers fitting to take up the slack on the axles so the crossheads clear.

There has been some very good comments so far & different suggestions on how to do things & not something i would have though about straight away. My first p4 loco the Barclay diesel was painting in much the same way being brush painted. I found that due to the wheel centre it was hard to get a brush in some places.

I did try Markits today to order some p4 axles so i could get the chassis rolling without any worry or damaging wheels. I hope to get hold of him tomorrow so i can some ordered.

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:40 pm

Markits wheels are very wide for P4. Its probably cheaper to have a set of sacrificial Gibsons.
On the up-side, Markits tyres seem smoother than Gibsons (or at least the ones I've had), so don't need as much polishing to get a decent tyre finish (for electrical pickup quality reasons).

One could calculate the number of washers and just fit the wheels when ready: Look up the back-to-back measurement you plan to use. Measure over chassis outside the bearings. The difference between the two is the gap which may need washers. Work out two stacks of washers to fill the gap, equal each side, with a little bit of space left over.

- Nigel

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:13 am

Nigel the p4 axles are all i need. I have modelled in em for years & used markits wheels. I have a set of 6 wheels i was given years since that i have never used for anything. The plan is to use the wheels on some p4 markits axles just to see if the chassis is a rolling one. This gives me the advantage of only putting the gibson one's on once, it allows me to paint the chassis too before final assembly.

The plan this week was to finish off the london rd kit but due to the snow we had earlier this week its caused havoc at work & we have been playing catch up ever since.
Last night i had 20 minutes in the workshop to write a list of the final parts i needed to fit. I caught up on the instructions so i know where i am again & then i thought sod it let's get the bufferbeam fitted to the model. I also fit a casting into the cab & then i called it a day. 23.5 hours driving an artic lorry over the past 2 days had finally taken its toll on me.

Tomorrow morning is usually my time to spend in the workshop so i want to get this project finished. I can then solely concentrate on the RSH & hopefully progress that model on a bit more.

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:22 am

Simon Moore wrote:Nigel the p4 axles are all i need. I have modelled in em for years & used markits wheels. I have a set of 6 wheels i was given years since that i have never used for anything. The plan is to use the wheels on some p4 markits axles just to see if the chassis is a rolling one. This gives me the advantage of only putting the gibson one's on once, it allows me to paint the chassis too before final assembly.

That seems a good idea Simon. What size wheels would be suitable to use for testing if a chassis is a rolling one?
Steve Carter

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:48 am

To be honest Steve i'm not sure, they are a good set though because they clear most chassis so the wheels touch the floor. I don't suppose it matters to much as long as the wheels are large enough to clear the bottom of the frames. Afterall the whole purpose is to make sure the chassis is a rolling chassis with no binding before you paint it or stick p4 wheels on.

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:41 pm

Simon Moore wrote:To be honest Steve i'm not sure, they are a good set though because they clear most chassis so the wheels touch the floor. I don't suppose it matters to much as long as the wheels are large enough to clear the bottom of the frames. Afterall the whole purpose is to make sure the chassis is a rolling chassis with no binding before you paint it or stick p4 wheels on.

Fair enough, when you said using them to check for binding I had visions of fitting the coupling rods as well but with all the different crank throws that would not really be practical?

I have a High Level RSH to do as well so I'm watching your progress with interest. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Keep up the good work.

Steve
Steve Carter

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:27 pm

Steve Carter wrote:... when you said using them to check for binding I had visions of fitting the coupling rods as well but with all the different crank throws that would not really be practical?

So long as the spare set are all thy same, no problem surely?

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:12 pm

Will L wrote:
Steve Carter wrote:... when you said using them to check for binding I had visions of fitting the coupling rods as well but with all the different crank throws that would not really be practical?

So long as the spare set are all thy same, no problem surely?

Can check the coupling rods, but not the cylinders and piston connecting rod.

For the cylinders/piston rods, need to check:
1 - stroke on the cross-head slides compared to crank throw.
2 - clearance behind the cross-head to the crankpin on the leading axle.

In answer to (1), depends what Chris at High Level designed in, but its usually to match the prototype and wheels recommended.
Answer to (2) is again Chris' design, but its usually close to scale, so not a lot of clearance when building to P4 with a set of Gibson wheels. If anything like the other High Level kits I have built, the fatter Markit wheels are unlikely to clear things.

- Nigel

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:22 pm

Yesterday the custom transfers turned up for the steelman royale. I think i might have to delay the lnwr tank for a while whilst i pop these on.

Finally after purchasing the kit my homage to the steelworkers of Redcar & Teesside will final be close to being a finished model.

20210204_192810.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:11 pm

I have spent an hour so far putting the transfers on the tom hill steelman. I think she looks absolutely beautiful even if i do say so myself.

20210205_190209.jpg

20210205_190201.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: Simons workbench industrials. Thomas hill steelman royale BSC

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:19 am

Yes very nice Simon. I would offer my version in MoD colours and built about 18 years ago for Staverton and shown here on temporary detachment to Elcot Road

Terry Bendall

steelman royal.jpg

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:56 am

Looks great Terry i just need to put bigger wheels on my model i could only get a 12mm wheelset black beetle off Brian at branchlines. I think our models are the only ones i have ever seen built & both P4.

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:14 pm

The lnwr 4ft6 tank is nearing completion now. I have had a good run at it this morning & got most of the parts fitted. The roof is to be fitted at a later date once the cabs been detailed. I have also left the steps off as i don't like fitting those until the body can sit on a chassis.

A very nice kit to build though & one i have enjoyed making.

IMG-20210206-WA0002.jpeg

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:34 pm

I was digging around the other day & came across something i built a while ago. Its a RT models tom hill vangaurd kit which i built in EM & was a very sweet runner.

A little order of wheels came from the stores yesterday so i spent an hour converting it to p4 & re doing the pick ups. Its a very sweet runner once again although i think its going for a dunk in the celly & a repaint.

I do fancy making another though, this red is a very nice colour but i do fancy a green one too.

20200101_130433.jpg

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:21 pm

I have turned my attentions back to the steelman royale & i am working now to get it finished off. I applied the last of the transfers during the week & got the gloss varnish sprayed over the top to seal the transfers in.

This morning i set of to fit the window frames to the cab. I sprayed these in a aluminum colour & today i fit them to the cab. The carpet monster decided he took a liking to the window frames when one pinged out of the tweezers. After many choice words they appeared & all was well.

20210213_102502.jpg

20210213_122438.jpg

20210213_122450.jpg

20210213_122457.jpg

They've been glued in with varnish so i don't make a mess. Tomorrow i will give the whole model a coat of satin varnish to finish it all off. Then i can glaze the cab & fit the couplings.

I have a custom etch plate coming although this will be a while off yet.

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:04 pm

If you like small engines may I recommend the Judith Edge Ruston 48DS? It comes with a HighLevel gearbox and is compensated. There are several build articles both here and on RMweb to offer assistance should it be needed. Here’s mine resplendent in Deltic blue.
CDE9BDE4-FF4D-4CA6-A1C4-A00586D7D640.jpeg

Cheers,

David

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:28 pm

David they are a superb kit the 48ds ;)

20201206_131549.jpg

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:20 am

Simon Moore wrote:This morning i set of to fit the window frames to the cab. I sprayed these in a aluminum colour & today i fit them to the cab. The carpet monster decided he took a liking to the window frames when one pinged out of the tweezers. After many choice words they appeared & all was well.

Morning Simon,

Can you share with us the incantation? I'm sure that if we all learn it, then it will collectively save many man-years of modelling time...

Although I am definitely not suggesting that we adopt it as a society song for whenever we can next gather together,

Very, very nice work indeed. That is a lovely looking model. I see over in the Other Place, Michael Edge has been extremely complimentary about it. To get such high praise from the kit designer himself really shows how good it is.

I'm looking forward to seeing many more of your builds in future.

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:35 am

Very nice models indeed. All they need now is a heavy dose of weathering! :)

Terry Bendall

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:24 pm

Paul if i shared that incantation i have a feeling i would be thrown out of the scalefour society. Its goes a little something like bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep you bloody bleep bleeping bleep :)

Mike was very complimentary about the model which was very well received this end & really brightened up my day.
I am looking forward to it being completely finished with its custom redcar nameplate on. Once this is done i am going to share to a teesside steel group on facebook from which the inspiration for this project came from. I hope they like it fingers crossed.

Yesterday i gave it a coat of satin varnish & that is the paintwork done. This evening i have spent a bit of time weighting the model with lead, glazing the cab & fitting some screwlink couplings. I need a crew to complete it.

I really should crack on & finish the RSH but i am just not in the mood for it at present i think more wagons might be the next task. I have a ever growing collection of parkside kits that need addressing.

One last thing i have done is start to build the plank, my windowsill test track. I hope to have this fully functional by weekend

20210214_183331.jpg

20210214_183346.jpg

Simon Moore

Re: Simons workbench industrials. More mineral wagons

Postby Simon Moore » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:21 pm

I have no enthusiasm at the minute to work on loco kits so after the enjoyable 16t build i decided to work on more wagons.
My eventual aim is to build a colliery layout of some sort which will need a good collection of coal wagons for shunting about.

The 16 tonner i made from a parkside kit & a rumney chassis was very enjoyable & relaxing so again more rumney kits are being grafted to parkside body's. This time its a pair of vac fitted, re bodied hoppers. The etches have so far invloved a lot of folding but i must say they are dead easy to build & go together no trouble.

20210221_121831.jpg

20210221_140225.jpg

20210221_140230.jpg

20210221_140806.jpg

I hope to have these further on this evening if i have a bit of time to spare.

Winander

Postby Winander » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:08 pm

Simon,

Your prolific output is most encouraging and interesting, even though it's not my particular cup of tea.

This may be of use to you, a few posts down from the start is a useful discussion of prevalence of different wagon types from the man himself.
https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=2631
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:11 am

Thank you Richard,

I guess i am lucky in that both myself & my wife have craft hobbies & our own workshops. This means we can both have our own space & relax without leaving one of us twiddling our thumbs.

I have a goal this year to complete another 4 locos & get a rake of wagons built. I also have a task of building a em gauge watford tank & writing a article about it for a magazine.

Thank your for the link to justins builds they are superb. I am still getting to grips with his very delicate kits but they are enjoyable none the less.

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:54 pm

With the wife out running & the kids tucked up i retreated to my workshop for a relaxing hour or so this evening.

The first thing to do was have a real tidy up, one thing i cannot stand is mess in the workshop. Workshop mk1 in the garage was a big space & yet i worked in tiny space because i had crap out everywhere. Now i am in the house i cannot stand muck & mess so it gets cleaned regularly & i thought it needed doing.

20210223_203831.jpg

Once i cleared the workspace i decided tonight i wanted to build the plastic bodies for the hoppers. A simple enough task & i wanted a relax today.
Yesterday evening i worked on building the internal ribs & stupidly i put one the wrong way round & soldered the whole thing up. Oh Cock!

Thankfully whilst it is wrong it won't be seen so i can get away with it. With the hopper bodies built in the very basic form it has brought the project a lump nearer. I always think when you mate a basic body to chassis it gives you a injection of extra enthusiasm to get it to the finish line. My plan was to have these finished this week but i am not rushing if it takes me 2 weeks it takes me 2 weeks. I cannot build anymore locos i am out of gearboxes & Chris Gibbons has furloughed himself.

Anyway tonights progress

20210223_195252.jpg

20210223_195154.jpg

20210223_195136.jpg

Couldn't help but line the bits i have made in P4 up for a little show. Doing this encourages me more to keep plodding away & telling myself i can do this.

Return to “On My Workbench”