Simons workbench industrials. Nonneminstre Coles crane.

What individual members are up to.
Simon Moore

Simons workbench industrials. Nonneminstre Coles crane.

Postby Simon Moore » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:01 am

Having successfully built my first P4 loco i thought i best start a proper building page so i can keep everything in one place.

My first loco was the barclay 0-6-0 diesel shunter from a rather shoddy mercian models kit.

20201204_200408.jpg

I'm now working again with better components designed by mike edge. This next one is a Thomas Hill steelman royale designed around a rtr motor bogie. A quick call to Brian Osbourne at Branchlines & luckily enough i got one of the last black beetle motor bogies he had in stock. Its the correct length although this is a 12mm wheelset rather than the 14mm the kit needs. I've order 5 axles of black beetle p4 wheels from Brian so i can correct this although it will be next year before the arrive.

I got this kit off ebay rather cheaply having saved many nectar points up so it cost me about a tenner in the end.
The kit turned up yesterday of all days so last night with 3 worn out, happy kids having come home from a santa special they went to bed very early. This gave me plenty of time to have a good run at the kit.

The first session went well & the platform & valances were all fitted together & the bufferbeams laminated together. I also did 1 step which is a lamination of 2 parts, my intention is to get the steps all finished this evening.

20201213_193310.jpg

20201213_193122.jpg

So far, so good & a joy to construct. Miles away from the battle of the barclay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Simon Moore on Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Horsetan

Re: Simons workbench industrials.

Postby Horsetan » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:30 am

Simon Moore wrote:....I got this kit off ebay rather cheaply having saved many nectar points up so it cost me about a tenner in the end.....

Y e e e s s s . . . but how much money did you have to spend on other things in order to accumulate that many Nectar points :?:
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:07 am

Last night i spent a bit more time getting the platform finished off. The the top & middle steps are a pair of laminations so take a bit more time to fit to the model.
Once these are fitted the bufferbeams were secured in place & the bottom step fitted. The bottom steps are a half etch & very delicate, care has to be taken when putting then in. One of them needed to be straightened up when i put it in place.
My aim is to get the other baseplate on which the body is built finished today so i can make a start on the body in the next session.
My aim was to have a session every evening this week but i have to do a shunt trailer to Birmingham this evening which has scuppered my plans.

20201214_220614.jpg

20201214_220622.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Simon Moore on Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:02 pm

If this kit is like the other Judith Edge designs I've built, then I separated the footplate from body structure using a piece of household aluminium foil, rather than the grease method in the instructions.

- Nigel

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:00 am

Nigel i blackened the footplate up as I'm not a fan of the grease method. I spend more time cleaning parts than i do soldering.

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:35 pm

Yesterday was a productive day in the workshop. I managed to get the cab built & the basic fuel tank.
The fuel tank is a very precise set of folds over a former & then soldered to the base. Its starting to take shape now, I'm hoping to do the basic engine casing this evening so it really does look like a loco.
Its a great kit & very enjoyable. I'm battling with myself over livery. Can't decide whether to do a bsc redcar livery in yellow with wasp stripes & white cab or another Woolley colliery model.

20201216_204601.jpg

20201216_204444.jpg

20201216_153637.jpg

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:14 pm

Coming along nicely Simon.

Do you have a link to pictures of the 2 liveries you are toying with?

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:15 pm

Thanks Jim

The Woolwy colliery livery is the same as the Barclay at the top of the page. Its almost as it should be on the prototype which ran on the Bicester military railway.

The Redcar locos were like the ones here in the link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12a_kingm ... a6-2fLVWQh

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:48 pm

Yellow is more industrial to me. The green livery is quite BR ish in a way.
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:28 am

Yes i agree with you Jim, i have done another nice shunter for a steelworks thats in em. Im going to get another chassis built for it next year & finish that to p4 standards.

20200120_184740.jpg

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:00 pm

Today i skipped a few paragraphs of the instructions because i wanted to get a feel for how the loco will look.
For some reason the roller shutter louvres that are meant to fit in a half etch recess on the bonnet sides were too small & i had to solder scrap etch behind them to get them to fit.

The bonnet top & cab are just placed on for now to see how it looks.

20201219_143446.jpg

20201219_143442.jpg

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:50 am

Over the past few days i have been fitting in a session wherever i can to try & get this model finished off.
I have got the main superstructure all fitted together now as one unit & I'm very pleased with the result. Last night i got the exhaust cowl fitted, the horns & the handrails on the bonnet & fuel tank.
My plan this evening is to get the bonnet latches fitted & start to fit the etched handrails to the platform. It would be nice to finish this off before christmas but i doubt it now.

Some photos before i started to add details to the model.

20201220_210226.jpg

20201220_210236.jpg

20201220_210245.jpg

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:52 pm

20201213_101803.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone.

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:44 pm

Today has been the first day of the holidays its not been manic! I decided to retreat to the workshop for some r&r.
The wife got me a high level RSH 14inch for christmas which i had planned to start building during the holidays but the Steelman is sat part built.

I got the instructions out & got myself up to date. I noticed that i had left a few small details off here & there.
I soldered a fuel gauge on & a set of the bonnet latches before turning to the handrails.
The bonnet latches are a real pain to fit so i only did one side in this session. Next session i intend on getting all the last parts finished so i can start painting & finishing this model off.

20201229_173701.jpg

20201229_173721.jpg

20201229_173730.jpg

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:46 pm

I decided to go & have a few hours in the workshop this afternoon & get some more work done on the steelman.
Its been a really good session & i have got everything fitted & finished.
I still have parts that need fitting but I'm not adding those parts until it is painted. I'm going to get it washed & primed today. I would like to get it into paint over the weekend.

20210101_142328.jpg

20210101_142321.jpg

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:39 pm

Simon Moore wrote:I decided to go & have a few hours in the workshop this afternoon & get some more work done on the steelman.
Its been a really good session & i have got everything fitted & finished.
I still have parts that need fitting but I'm not adding those parts until it is painted. I'm going to get it washed & primed today. I would like to get it into paint over the weekend.

That's looking really pretty sitting there in the raw brass. Lovely and neat work in a really four-square way.

I do have a Judith Edge diesel kit somewhere in my eclectic collection of things to build. One day...

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:22 pm

Afternoon Paul

Thank you for you kind comments. Its a lovely kit to make, i do enjoy Mike edges kits they are exceptionally well designed & go together very well. I have a pile of Judith edge kits to work through & certainly more to add knowing what he has in the pipeline.

Simon

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:13 pm

This weekend i have been busy with the airbrush painting the base coats on the model.
Yellow is a colour i do not like spraying because it seems very wishy washy so i needed to give it a couple of coats. The hard work on this model is starting to pay off, i think it really is looking the part now.
Tomorrow my aim is to get the gloss varnish sprayed on ready for transfers. Those i will have to wait for as my friend is making me those & a custom nameplate.
This even i started a Rumney models etc for a 16t mineral which i previously built the body for. Its made good progress but i stopped as my eyes were getting sore from looking at the laptop for instruction.

20210103_132854.jpg

20210103_132846.jpg

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:24 pm

Simon,

That yellow has gone on very well indeed.

One thing that I've just seen is the buffers. It's the first time that you've had the bufferheads fitted.

It looks very obvious from the first photo that there is quite a sizeable "pip" left from the turning in the middle of the buffer face. Not only is it not prototypical, but depending on what type of coupling you choose to use, it could actually catch and disrupt the smooth running.

All it needs is a couple of gentle strokes from a fine needle file and you'll have the face of the buffer looking smooth. Given that buffers are such a prominent feature of industrials, it will really make a difference to the look.

It's just a little something to watch out for - because all the best (finest) buffer heads are turned and not cast, they almost all end up with a turning pip of some size or other. That's regardless of whether they are for locomotives, coaches or wagons.

Looking forward to seeing some more of the painting and weathering develop.
Take care,
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:23 pm

Well done with the yellow. It is a paint colour that is very difficult to get to a colour saturation level. Years ago I was finishing a "officeworks" here in Melbourne and they had just changed the livery for their print centres to a yellow back wall.... problem was the store we were building was the first one for the yellow. The walls had already been painted a white from memory but it took 7 coats to get a good coverage! Painter was not happy!

As it turns out yellow a almost a transparent tint, so it is one colour I know needs lots of coats to get to the right colour intensity.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:31 am

Simon Moore wrote:Yellow is a colour i do not like spraying because it seems very wishy washy

I usually apply one or two coats of white first, and then the yellow. That usually works.

Paul Willis wrote:It looks very obvious from the first photo that there is quite a sizeable "pip" left from the turning in the middle of the buffer face

This seems to happen on most buffers. Moulded plastic ones sometimes have a small hole rather than a pip and those that are cast in white metal often have a line where the two parts of the mould meet. A few strokes of a file or an abrasive board solved the problem with pips and flash or a bit of filler for any holes.

And this is certainly looking very nice.

Terry Bendall

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:50 am

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Paul the buffers are only placed in for the time being. I couldn't resist fitting them to have a proper look at how it will be once finished. I never really noticed those pips i will file them off before final fit.

Once breakfast is done with I'm going to get the gloss varnish on. That will be my lot for this week. I have a week of night trunking ahead to Wolverhampton.

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:07 pm

This past week i have not done a great deal of modelling. I have been up & down the M6 every night trunking & trying to sleep with young kids at home has been a challenge. I'm covering again tonight so decided to have a afternoon in the workshop.

I have been slowly building a rumney models 16t mineral wagon chassis kit to fit a parkside body i built a while back.

20210112_122439.jpg

20210112_122456.jpg

20210112_122446.jpg

Its been a very enjoyable kit to make so far & the part fit is very good. It glides very nicely & i am very impressed with the sprung chassis.
Its still a way off but today i have progressed the chassis on some what & as the body is finished i decided to paint it. Tomorrow i will give the body a coat of gloss varnish ready for the transfers.

I would like to finish this off at the weekend & have my first S4 wagon built. I have ordered two 21t hopper etches from Justin so i can make some NCB hoppers with a few parkside kits i have here.

Simon Moore

Re: Simons workbench industrials. 16t mineral wagon

Postby Simon Moore » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:07 pm

After getting the last of the night shifts done at work my goal this weekend was to finish the 16t mineral wagon thats been on the go a number of weeks.

I started earlier this week by painting the body its base colour which was then gloss varnished ready for the transfers.
Parkside give you a sheet but the white lines are god awful & very oversized. I ordered some replacements from fox friday afternoon which to my surprise arrived the following morning.

I finished the transfers yesterday & moved on to getting the Rumney models chassis finished. After a few hours work the chassis was completed & this evening i painted it & re assembled the whole model.

20210117_222702.jpg

20210117_222607.jpg

20210117_222600.jpg

The axleboxes needed a bit of extra opening out on the back for the gibson bearings but apart from that the kit was very nice to put together.
I'm off work tomorrow & the wife has said i can have some workshop time so i think the 21t hoppers are next to have a go at.

BryanJohnson

Re: Simons workbench industrials. 16t mineral wagon

Postby BryanJohnson » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:19 am

Simon,
For the British Railways period, the top of the white line to show the end door on an all-steel mineral should line up around the door hinges rather than the top corner of the side panel.
This rule is also followed for the larger 21T and 24T wagons where the difference is more visible.
For wooden mineral wagons, the wagon strapping would be painted and the hinge was at the top corner. Some pre-nationalisation liveries for all-steel wagons did have the line going to the top corner.
Bryan Johnson

Return to “On My Workbench”