Simons workbench industrials. Nonneminstre Coles crane.

What individual members are up to.
Simon Moore

Re: Simons workbench industrials. Primrose no2

Postby Simon Moore » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:10 pm

Today i have made more good progress on the hunslet.

I rolled the smokebox components this afternoon & soldered them onto the model & also got the boiler sat correctly & soldered this to the cab unit. The whole unit now detaches as one from the footplate which makes painting a lot easier.

The chassis was also completed with the exception of the brakes which i do not fit until the chassis is painted & the wheels are quartered. I have painted the chassis this evening matt black & the wheels now have a coat of gloss red.

The body has very few parts left to fit its the reverser & handrails mainly plus the odd casting. I hope to finish this tomorrow so i can them put the loco in paint as well.

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:47 pm

I have been working on a primrose no2 & also a Kitson A class which will be one of the Derwenthaugh NCB locos. Originally this model was to be in EM gauge but i now have a spare set of frames so i can build it to P4 standards.

20210404_150623.jpg

I have put the kitson off for some time because the tanks didn't fill me with excitement & the prospect of bending those in nickel silver had put me off. I got a session in yesterday & got the tank & boiler parts shaped. I still have one tank to do but the rivets take forever to do. I have been fitting the sessions in & around the family & deliveries i have been doing to help out my wife's sweetie business.

20210404_151131.jpg

I have also dug out the RSH so i have my projects set up. I intend on painting Primrose up this next week which will give me that push to get the chassis sorted out & running. Once that is sorted i will start on the RSH, I can't do much to the Kitson because with Chris at high level currently closed i can't get the gearbox i need to complete the model.

20210404_151155.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:21 pm

I had planned another session this evening on the high level RSH but time didn't allow it so i pulled a half painted dave bradwell ncb hopper out the box & give it some black paint & a few transfers to set it on its way to being finished.

20210405_215842.jpg

I really do like these hoppers, i think of all colliery railways the north east had the most interesting rolling stock. I find the ropeways & inclines a very interesting subject.

If you have a half hour spare this is a superb little video of the Bowes railway.
https://youtu.be/gRMeNMJatpw
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:52 am

I have not had much time this week in the workshop. Its been absolutely manic at work & most days has been well after 7pm before i am getting home. It has given me time to think my next steps with the Hunslet.
Mike Edge has kindly sent me some replacement rods & a kylpor chimney so with an hour to spare yesterday i finished off the last of the body parts on the loco & primed it with etch primer. After leaving it a few hours to harden off i blew on the coat of gloss red humbrol 19 which has covered very nicely.

20210411_073805.jpg

I will leave the body until this evening to harden off more before masking off & spraying the matt black for the footplate, smokebox & roof.
As the chassis needed modification because it didn't cater for P4 i am going to cut some new ones in the guillotine from nickel silver. Once the basic chassis frames are cut i will stick the chassis part from the scale drawing over the frame & then start drilling the brake rod holes in & fixed axle bearing hole. I am also going to draw some proper cutouts for the hornblocks so i know everything is correct. Hopefully this should iron out any defects from the first chassis & give me a running chassis.

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:12 pm

I'm concerned that we seem to be missing something here. The frame cut-outs do not play a part in the eventual position of the hornblocks which are set by jig using the coupling rods (+ a final tweak to the rods). In fact the cut-outs should clear the hornblocks so as not to influence them. I can't see why you need to make new frames, although rescuing the old ones might need a blowlamp!

DaveB

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:41 am

Simon it's been great reading your thread. You've mentioned the problems of painting. I made all my locos as you do, compensated with a fixed wheel, until I made a High Level kit. That was a revelation in that it showed me how to do several things I'd been realising I needed to do.

1. To have all wheels able to be dropped out makes it far easier to use the quartering jig and set them up in the first place, and painting.
2. The kit showed me that the brakes can be used to keep the wheels in the chassis, as they are made to be easily removed as one unit. The pull rods retain the axleboxes in the chassis.
3. When all wheels are compensated the running is very much more smooth on crossings or other bumps.

I make my locos with an "unequal equalization" - or modified compensation, to improve reliability of trackholding. I described that in Snooze 199.

But ignore all that - the main thing is to keep at it and enjoying it, and sharing your great results with us!

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:20 pm

Thanks Julian. I am very much still in the learning stages of s4 modelling & so any advice is greatly received.

Primrose no2 was sat last night in the workshop drying & i got a snap of her. I am going to clear up my workshop tomorrow its a bit cluttered & then i can make some room for things. Once i have done this i am going to start marking up some nickel silver so i can cut out the new frames. I will take then to work with me once they are ready & use the pillar drill in the workshop to drill all the holes in the correct place. I cannot get to my pillar drill at the minute so i will use the one at work instead.

I will leave you all with this photo for now

20210411_212903.jpg

:D

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:20 pm

I have made a start this evening on rebuilding the chassis for primrose no2. I have various sheets of nickel silver so dug out a piece suitable for this project. I measured the scale drawing from the instructions & photocopied a few copy's just in case.

I cut the nickel silver to the correct size on my guillotine & soldered the 2 pieces together. I then glued the frame outline from the scale drawing to my frame plates.

The last bit for this evening was to file the radius into each end of the frames. I still have material to remove along the bottom edge & the cut outs for hornblock's. My drill set is missing a few bits so i have ordered a new set so once they arrive i can drill out for the brake hangers, compensation beam & fixed axle.

20210413_201318.jpg

20210413_201326.jpg

Thats all for tonight.

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:15 pm

It's been a while since I posted anything so thought I would do a update.

On the P4 side I have not done a great deal in fact modelling as a whole I haven't done much. Work has been busier than ever & my wedding is coming in less than 2 weeks so my attentions have been turned to this.

I left off working on Primrose no2. That project had stalled me with p4 so I put it away & it hasn't been out since. The stress of this wedding I was in much need of escape so I decided to start something new & a project I have wanted to do for a while.

The new project is the RT Models sentinel which I am doing as one of the Whifflet foundary locos in blue & red. Yesterday I built up the basic chassis & today I have made a start on the gearbox. So far everything has gone together with ease, I am going to have another session tomorrow evening & I would like to get the gearbox finished.

20210628_215102.jpg

20210628_214953.jpg

20210628_215019.jpg

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Simons workbench industrials. RT Models sentinel

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:43 pm

Simon,

Nothing more to say than congratulations on the forthcoming wedding!

I bet that you're relieved that the wedding no longer clashes with the Scalefour AGM, otherwise I could have predicted painful excuses being made... I hope that Covid doesn't disrupt your own celebration.

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:09 pm

Not done as much as I had hoped this weekend on the sentinel but I have got the basic body parts formed & riveted. Silly me forgot you get a paper template to drill the cab handrails which is certainly going to be fun now it is folded.

I am going to amble away at this over the next few weeks & then I think I will get the RSH out & get that model finished off too. I would like to get Irwell street resurrected too & actually make a start building it & if possible get it erected in my workshop so I have a train set to play with in winter.

20210704_203044.jpg

20210704_203623.jpg

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:44 pm

Thanks Paul

It's been a major distraction & a very stressful time. Today we have finalised everything so no more headaches or stress/worry.
I can relax now & get back to modelling & enjoying my hobby once again. I have also been looking at Primrose number 2 & deciding on the best course of action to rebuild the chassis. I do have some scalefour sprung hornblocks which I am thinking of using minus the spring so I can compensate it once again in the mk2 frames. I would use high level blocks but as Chris is still furloughed I have to use alternatives in the meantime. By the time I get around to it though I am hopeful he will be open again. The queue for high level products must be crazy with us all wanting gearboxes & bits

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:52 pm

Simon Moore wrote:Not done as much as I had hoped this weekend on the sentinel but I have got the basic body parts formed & riveted. Silly me forgot you get a paper template to drill the cab handrails which is certainly going to be fun now it is folded.

Find a small piece of brass sheet roughly the same size as the cab side sheet, using two orthogonal edges of that sheet as a datum, mark out and drill the holes as for the handrails.

Using the two datum edges to locate it accurately, fix it to the hole-less made up cab side using double-sided sellotape, and then drill through the holes into the made-up cab side.

Carefully remove it from that cab side and turn it over, then use it in the same way to drill the holes in the other cab side.

In the unlikely event of the handrails not matching either side on the prototype, you will have to drill more guide holes before fixing it to the other cab side.

The real irony is that this probably won't take much longer than if you had drilled the holes in the flat before making the cab up, simply because you (hopefully) only have to mark up the holes once.

Incidentally, if you happen to have a GW Models rivet punch, you can use that to accurately mark out the holes, just create "rivets" in the right place and then drill through them.

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:04 am

That's a great idea using the punch. I do have a riveting tool & I had never thought of using it in such a way. Thank you for the tip, if I have time this evening I will get those handrails fitted & I might get the body & cab soldered into position.

This week's already getting booked up with thing as we prepare for weekend so I might not get far with the build. Next week however is a week off work so I can have plenty of time in the workshop modelling.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:17 pm

Nice work Simon, I rather fancy one of these myself - but plenty to be getting on with instead!

BTW, what is the yellow fireless in the background?

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:58 pm

Hey up Enigma

It's a really nice kit actually I have enjoyed building it so far. I have had another session on it this evening as well as a short one this morning. Its running now superbly well down to the slowest crawl. My only issue is that it seems to wobble somewhat. I have a feeling the wheels have not gone back on the axles concentric. I've had this issue a few times with gibson wheels.

20210707_203118.jpg

The fireless loco is a Impetus Barclay which eventually will be a generic version of the fireless locos from Huncoat power station. I have the transfers to finish it off its just having the motivation.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:41 am

Speaking of things in the background, I can only say what a cracking view you have from your modelling bench!

if that was mine, I wouldn't get any work done at all, just due to watching the weather go by.

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:08 am

What isn't seen in that view Paul is the Aire Valley line. I get all manner of trains passing regularly plus I can see all the steam trains on the worth valley railway leaving Keighley Station. It is a cracking view I must admit.

I am a bit tender today, I married my wife yesterday & drunk my own body weight in alcohol. I'm off this next week so I want to finish off the Sentinel & maybe make a start on sorting out Primrose no2. That model is niggling away at me so I need to get her running.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:30 am

:D :D double congratulations Simon, on the nuptials, and the view from your workbench, like Paul I am very envious. My younger son is getting married this coming week and it has been very stressful trying to arrange it yet dodge the changing regulations, disappointing people who can't be included.

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:30 pm

Cheers Jullian

It is very stressful organising a wedding but with the way we are the minute it is double stressful although worth it.

I just caught this one this evening after seeing the photos of scotsman going north.

https://youtu.be/An83p6XJntw
Last edited by Simon Moore on Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:38 pm

With life slowly getting back to normal I have been working on the Sentinel once again. With a bit of luck over the next few days I should have it finished & into paint. It's just fitting all the details now & the many handrails.

To say it is still very lightly weighted it pulls 5 wagons 2 of which are heavy white metal ones with ease. I will pop a bit more weight in it but as it seems to be hauling well over what it will on my layout it won't be much more.
It's a very enjoyable kit & dead easy to make. I would recommend any of the RT Models Sentinel kits for a beginner to etched kit construction especially for a p4 model. The trickiest part of the whole construction is the quad driver gearbox which is fiddly but apart from that it is dead easy.

20210712_203222.jpg

Simon Moore

Postby Simon Moore » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:06 pm

I started a new project today or should I say picked it back up from ages ago. Its a Coles crane from a Noneminstre kit. I've just assembled the body parts now they are painted & got the chassis in primer. I forgot to fit the buffers so they are now glued in place & once done I will give the whole chassis a coat of matt black. For now I have omitted the brakes as I am unsure if they motor bogie will fit in with them fitted. Glazing that cab is going to be interesting.

IMG-20210716-WA0117.jpeg

Simon Moore

Re: Simons workbench industrials. Nonneminstre Coles crane.

Postby Simon Moore » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:39 pm

Today I have had a very productive day doing a load of different modelling projects as well as a children's birthday party.
The p4 side of things today has been a Coles crane as the motor bogie turned up today.

20210717_194815.jpg

20210717_194941.jpg

20210717_194949.jpg

20210717_194959.jpg

A lovely kit such a shame they are no longer in production.

Return to “On My Workbench”