Fitting LEDs to Modelu loco lamps

What individual members are up to.
JackBlack

Fitting LEDs to Modelu loco lamps

Postby JackBlack » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:48 am

I posted this in the Modelu FB group so some of you may have already seen this. I've been meaning to try it for a while, but finally got around to it last night.

The loco lamps from Modelu are really nice, and I found these tiny leds on eBay that are already attached to litz wire:

IMG_20201111_092142374.jpg

I very carefully drilled out the front and bottom of the lamp with a .9mm drill bit, and cleaned up with a scalpel. You need to be really careful with the handle as it's easy to snap off.

The LED I fixed with a drip of superglue. And then I used the lens supplied with the lamp after scraping off the reflective backing:

IMG_20201111_202434696.jpg

This lamp I've fitted with a micro plug/socket with a 470R 1206 resistor solder in place, but going forward I would probably have the resistor separate.

It's a little bright, so I need to experiment with the resistance. I'm going to use this as part of an battery powered R/C set-up, but they could just as easily be used with DC/DCC.

Alan at Modelu has mentioned the idea of making hollow lamps, which would make this even easier.

The leds I got from here: EBAY LED LINK - they really are tiny and lovely to work with and are available in various colours.

The resistors from here: EBAY RESISTORS LINK

Cheers! Nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nick Allport
CLAG

Noel

Re: Fitting LEDs to Modelu loco lamps

Postby Noel » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:08 am

Very neat, but way beyond my skill set. How will you arrange for an on/off switch, though?
Regards
Noel

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:23 am

Noel wrote:How will you arrange for an on/off switch, though?

For my purpose I don't need one as it would be integrated into the r/c, so will indicate when the loco is active, or could be wired into the RX outputs to switch on based on direction, or to mimic the status led on the RX. This all kinda ties into Ted's 5V always-on r/c set-up, that's posted in the r/c section.

Nick Allport
CLAG

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:34 am

"The head lamps will be carried on the same lamp irons day and night, the difference being that they will be extinguished by day and lighted at night and during fog or falling snow." - GWR General Appendix to the Rule Book. It's in the BR Rule Book as well, so standard practice.
Regards
Noel

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:54 pm

Ah I see what you mean. For us r/c lot we can control that from the TX if we so wish. More complicated in DC/DCC I guess, without having an actual switch.

Nick Allport
CLAG

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:59 pm

JackBlack wrote:Ah I see what you mean. For us r/c lot we can control that from the TX if we so wish. More complicated in DC/DCC I guess, without having an actual switch.

It may not be that simple yet, Nick. It depends on the options in the next Rxs from Micron. There are switch and toggle options on the 6x series that are now discontinued, but not afaics on the current 45s. We can switch direction lights with separate red, and white or orange LEDs, but I think we'd have to go into the programming to turn both off. Or perhaps a phototransistor in that circuit's return path.
Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:47 pm

These SMT LED's are indeed ideal for lighting in 4mm. I started with buying LEDs already wired up and then moved to buying strips of LEDs at a fraction of the price but then having to go through the joy of soldering them up. However, be warned, they can become addictive. First application was within a loco's cab lamps. Drilling the lost wax brass castings added to the fun :

782 cab lamp.jpg

Next, on to fitting them within signal lamps from Wizard Models, whitemetal being a wee bit easier to work with :

Signal lamps.jpg

Then, on to fitting them in etched Highland Railway lamps from Lochgorm Kits :

Lamps in progress.jpg

But fitted within the North British Railway's Burntisland roundhouse (and the Caledonian Ralway's Barnton station). Should that be allowed? :

IMG_4720b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:57 pm

Lindsay G wrote:Should that be allowed?

Yes, they look fantastic! But I'm definitely not going to attempt to solder them myself :)

Nick Allport
CLAG

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:58 pm

zebedeesknees wrote:It may not be that simple yet, Nick. It depends on the options in the next Rxs from Micron. There are switch and toggle options on the 6x series that are now discontinued, but not afaics on the current 45s. We can switch direction lights with separate red, and white or orange LEDs, but I think we'd have to go into the programming to turn both off. Or perhaps a phototransistor in that circuit's return path.
Ted.

I have absolute faith in you finding a way to make it happen Ted! Lets see what the next generation of RXs brings to the table :)

Nick Allport
CLAG

Chas Levin

Postby Chas Levin » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:50 pm

Hello, I just found this thread and the projects are superb - I love the signals, I haven't tried that yet! I agree it gets quite addictive - here's a build I did a while back of an ECJS Luggage Brake carriage, where I put the LEDs inside Modelu hollow-bodied lamps and put one of their white and one red lens on each side. The two lamps were then connected to a TrainTech motion-sensor lighting unit: it has provision for two connections, one brighter and less flickering than the other and although they're not intended to be used simultaneously, they are both always connected so I found I could put one lamp on each side and the slight difference in brightness isn't very noticeable:

D&S_310-ECJS_45ft_Luggage-brake_Jul19 (154).jpg

D&S_310-ECJS_45ft_Luggage-brake_Jul19 (156).jpg

D&S_310-ECJS_45ft_Luggage-brake_Jul19 (155).jpg
Chas

Return to “On My Workbench”