Bachmann 2251 with High Level chassis

What individual members are up to.
zebedeesknees

Bachmann 2251 with High Level chassis

Postby zebedeesknees » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:52 pm

The High Level tender chassis installed in the Bachmann frames.

Collett tender chassis.jpg

The screws are 1mm x 3mm self-tappers soldered to 12BA brass washers. They fit nicely into existing holes in the frames moulding.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The frames just interference fit into the body, no attachment needed.

Collett tender.jpg

Could be from the High Level website.... but isn't.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Mike G. My CSB notes for the loco chassis. This part of the build was relatively easy, but the vacuum pump assembly had to be sacrificed to make way for the spring wires. I found other ways to make the build more difficult..

2251 loco CSB notes.jpg

Chris designed the loco chassis to be driven from the rear axle as did Bachmann, and unusually designed the compensated rear axle to carry the motor/gearbox assembly. I found out later why.. No CSBs for the loco, I couldn't have that!

The design intended that the front axle should be rigid, whether the whole lot was, or compensation was chosen. Had I not taken the same route as Flymo with his 48xx, and decided that the optional valve gear assemblies could not be left off with so much space under the boiler, I would never have understood Chris's reason for the rigid front axle... a sprung one fouls the valve gear. Not by much, but enough to inhibit the running - possibly.

Fortunately, I have in the distant past used the old Exactoscale gearboxes with 2mm axles, and saved the 2mm x 1/8" sleeves. A pair of those were fitted to a 2mm axle and shortened so that they stay within the wheel and the bearing, so the axle now clears the valve gear.

Axle mods.jpg

I am also not happy to drive an axle that wasn't driven in the prototype, so another deviation from Chris's instructions (and gearbox) was called for.

Some of these deviations haven't been fully road tested yet, so if they work, later...

Ted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(A purists' purist)

Mike Garwood

Re: Bachmann 2251 with High Level chassis

Postby Mike Garwood » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:56 am

Thanks Ted - very helpful. Look forward to more.

Mike

Return to “On My Workbench”