Mike G's catch up.

What individual members are up to.
grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Mike G's catch up.

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:16 pm

Plenty of numbers from 50 upwards available. :)
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:39 pm

Nice work Mike, I look forward to seeing them running hopefully sooner rather than later.

Robin

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:47 pm

So both the BR standard 5 and Collet 2227 are in a state where they run. 2227 is completely finished and requires no further work.

https://youtu.be/dOmhatUBOcI

The std 5 requires more work. There is a passing problem between the connecting rod and the first driver, that'll be sorted with my P4 modelling file. I drew the auto oiling pipe work too short, easily sorted, but not quickly, in fact not till next year. Also, the weighting on the bogie needs more work as the weight isn't being evenly distributed...hence the skidding of the rear set of wheels. I'll use my own sprung bogie for this - it's 6' 3" - same as the Brit. And that works really well. Hopefully the running will improve with some more running - I literally finished installing the valve gear and plonked it on the plank. If it doesn't, then I'll have to strip it all back down and find the problem. It ran really smoothly with just the coupling rods on, so there can only be a few places that can cause issues. Anyway, for what its worth...

https://youtu.be/RhS3iCqS2vQ

Please forgive the washing in the background.

I'm off to bend up 30 Bill Bedford Mk1 chassis. That'll numb the pain :D

Stay safe

Mike

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:10 pm

Mike Garwood wrote:
I'm off to bend up 30 Bill Bedford Mk1 chassis. That'll numb the pain :D

................and if the bending of the chassis doesn't, making up 120 pairs of brakes will!
Mark Tatlow

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:24 pm

Mike Garwood wrote:....Please forgive the washing in the background.....

Is that a bra hanging off the side there :?:
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:23 am

Horsetan wrote:
Mike Garwood wrote:....Please forgive the washing in the background.....

Is that a bra hanging off the side there :?:

No Ivan that would be a Welsh sheepdog.

Mike

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:19 pm

While the latest lockdown has been going on I haven't wasted time. Here's a few of freight stock that's been completed.

Rumney models Fish van, excellent kit.

Fish van 6.jpg

BR 5 plank open, again Rumney chassis.

BR 5 plank 1.jpg

And a BR 12t plywood van, waiting for castings to arrive to complete this one.

BR 12t plywood van 1.jpg

I've also replaced the gearbox on one of my 56's. The original was a DJH but the worm split on the motor, making it incredibly noisy. The parts from Roxey arrived today which means I can complete the upgrade of the 37 I was working on before I started the freight.

IMG_2382.jpg

https://youtu.be/MFymKqOSE7M

Currently on a D1791 coach, just hope the bogies make it through the post, before the body work is completed.
Stay safe all.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:34 pm

Nearly there with D1791. Ventilators to go on and train brake gear. Then the bogies to build.

Stannier Corr compo D1791 a.jpg

Have a good weekend all, stay safe.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:50 pm

All looking good Mike. Seeing your D1791 coach reminds me that I have a Brake version half built sitting there mocking me. LOL. Looking forwards to seeing your coach finished.

Keep Safe.

Dave

bogusman

Postby bogusman » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:18 am

Hi Mike
The fish van is looking good. What livery will you be painting it in?

Pete

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:02 pm

It should come out as a faded white. But that'll be when the weather is warmer and I can get a coat of primer on. I'm still trying to find out what transfers I need to complete it as well. So if anyone knows I'd appreciate the heads up.

Mike

Noel

Postby Noel » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:00 pm

Cambridge Custom Transfers BL93 should do if as advertised [I have not seen it]. Modelmaster MM4628 and MMPC53 have the essential 'Blue spots' for a roller-bearing van, but the numbers are for Diagram 800, which has differences from the Diagram 801 that Justin did. Fox do a number of variations on the theme - FRH 4941 will provide suitable numbers for this and more; FRH4941/2 could also be used, but in both cases the complete numbers are again Diagram 800 or earlier. Diagram 801 were E87500 to E88057 built 1956-61 ['E' rather than 'B' is correct]. All lettering is black for the white livery.
Regards
Noel

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:57 pm

Thanks Noel - that's really helpful. I shall send an order off to Fox.

The chassis and body build for the coach has been completed. Just the bogies to do now.

Stannier Corr compo D1791 b.jpg

Stannier Corr compo D1791 c.jpg

I do like building coaches, but painting will have to wait till next year!

Stay safe

Mike

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:02 pm

Another coach nears completion. Stannier D1845. Just the bogies to put together. There are a few problems with this Comet kit, it's not entirely accurate. Guards doors are too wide and the vent space above the toilet is way too big, it should be the same size as the rest of the vents on the passenger side. It should also have a second row of roof vents above the corridor side of the coach as well.

Stannier D1945 finished.jpg

Stannier D1845 finished 1.jpg

Stannier D1845 finished 2.jpg

Anyway, I can live with the compromises. But another model adds itself to the painting waiting list! :D

Stay safe

Mike
(edited for smelling)

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:30 pm

Very nice Mike.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Mon May 10, 2021 3:03 pm

A freshly finished model rolled off the production line this afternoon. 5214, a GWR 42xx. This has the Brassmasters chassis & detailing kit, High level gearbox, Gibson wheels and a motor from CCT. It's the first time I've used one of these motors and they are very impressive. Quiet and powerful. The only down side is that the motor sits canted in the gearbox - using up more space than it should.
The models weighs in at 260 gms. I could have added more, but this would have been at the expense of balencing the weight throughout the body. Lots of bits have been added to give it a better representation of the prototype.
Still to be weathered, but as the rain is falling (no prizes for guessing that) that'll have to wait. I shall have to draw the cyinders and slide bars as there is way to much clearance between con rod and the first driver.

Stay safe

Mike

Edit; you can read the whole build here : https://www.westernthunder.co.uk/thread ... 759/page-7
Last edited by Mike Garwood on Wed May 12, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Mon May 10, 2021 3:09 pm

nice work Mike, :thumb

is this the Brassmasters Easi-chas? I wasn't aware they could be adapted to other motor/gearbox arrangements.

Steve

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Mon May 10, 2021 4:03 pm

Yes Steve it is. Wasn’t difficult to modify.

Mike

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Mon May 10, 2021 7:21 pm

Excellent work, Mike. Very smooth for a brand new loco, especially an 8 coupled - always more of a challenge.
Dave.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Tue May 11, 2021 3:56 am

Fantastic work there Mike, well done. Looking forward to seeing it all weathered up, once it stopped raining of course. LOL.

All Best

Dave

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Tue May 11, 2021 5:50 am

Nice work Mike and lots of it! I'm taken by that fish van but disappointed to see it was 1957 onwards. I'm setting my Scottish layout about 10 years earlier - do you know what models are available that could be appropriate for a fish train? (Apart from the CR 6 wheel fish van that I'm already building)

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue May 11, 2021 10:46 am

Julian Roberts wrote: I'm taken by that fish van but disappointed to see it was 1957 onwards. I'm setting my Scottish layout about 10 years earlier - do you know what models are available that could be appropriate for a fish train? (Apart from the CR 6 wheel fish van that I'm already building)

Before BR days Fish vans were not common user, so far as I know, so for Kyle you would basically be limited to LMSR and constituent vehicles; even after Nationalisation "foreign" vans would probably taken a little time to appear. Pre-grouping vehicles are outside my knowledge, as are etched brass kits, but in plastic Chivers do an LMSR D2115 6-wheel van, and Cambrian and Parkside both do 4-wheel LMSR vans, D1885 and D2059 respectively. The former is described as 'unfitted'; they were, according to David Jenkinson in LMS Coaches, either fitted or piped, which makes more sense.
Regards
Noel

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Tue May 11, 2021 5:10 pm

Thanks Noel for that very useful help and information.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Tue May 11, 2021 6:43 pm

Noel wrote:Before BR days Fish vans were not common user, so far as I know, so for Kyle you would basically be limited to LMSR and constituent vehicles; even after Nationalisation "foreign" vans would probably taken a little time to appear..

That's handy to know Noel, because we have a couple of NE fish vans in the Watermouth Collection
http://scalefournorth.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Picture-59.jpg

So I would assume they would not be appropriate for a layout based on the South Devon/Dorset coast?

Steve

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue May 11, 2021 7:36 pm

steve howe wrote:So I would assume they would not be appropriate for a layout based on the South Devon/Dorset coast?

The photo suggests a late(ish) 1920s period to me? The only major fishing port in that area at that time would be Brixham, so far as I know; others might send out traffic by rail, but only in relatively limited amounts, I would think [it's a bit before my period of interest], their catches mostly going to their local area. However, not all fishing ports caught the same sort of fish, or at the same time of the year, so inbound traffic from elsewhere is not by any means impossible.
Regards
Noel

Return to “On My Workbench”