Mike G's catch up.

What individual members are up to.
Dave Holt

Re: Mike G's catch up.

Postby Dave Holt » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:02 am

Coming along nicely, Mike. Some time ago, I built a High Level 57XX pannier chassis (in EM for Pendon) and found it a pleasure to work on. You 2251 experience confirms the quality of design and production of their chassis.
There appears to be a set of Comet LMS/BR cylinders lurking in the background. Definitely not part of a 2251. May one enquire as to their intended loco?
Dave.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:16 am

Dave
Those are for the Std class 5 (from the Gibson kit) - which is waiting for it's gearbox and motor to arrive, I know Chris has supply problems at the moment.

On another note, what about one of the loctite brews for your tender problem? 501 or 503. Both cure in the absence of air and are very thin. A couple of strong rubber bands around the tender would keep the air out. Cures in a couple of hours.

Stay safe

Mike.

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:31 pm

Hi Mike, as it 'appens I have just got my Bachmann/High Level 2251 kit to the running stage, and was thinking about asking if anyone else had ever built one. I do have a similar question to that of the top feeds, in - which one had which type of tender and when?

But may I ask, whose kit is the County? is it the 4-4-0, or the later 4-6-0? I ask because I have been working on a Mitchell Castle kit bogie, springing it as the prototype, and the owner has suggested that what has been done might help you and/or others.

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

David Catton

Postby David Catton » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:59 pm

Yes, please, Zebedee!

Cheers,

David C

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:19 pm

zebedeesknees wrote:.....whose kit is the County? is it the 4-4-0, or the later 4-6-0? I ask because I have been working on a Mitchell Castle kit bogie, springing it as the prototype, and the owner has suggested that what has been done might help you and/or others.....

It's the 4-6-0, and it started life as a Falcon Brass kit. Mike has mentioned it in passing, mainly because it needed quite a lot of work to make it look like a Hawksworth County, which suggested strongly that the kit wasn't very good to start with. A bit like the "Modified Hall" from Falcon, which isn't anything to write home about either.

I'd be very interested in your bogie design.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:07 am

Hi
Yes, the County is 4-6-0 as Ivan has said. Origins were Falcon. The only bits that made it to the final model were the cabsides and foot plate - and that was shortened. Everything else was scratched. Now residing on Ultrascale wheels, HL g/box with a 1420 and Comet chassis with Gordan Ashton Springing units.

The springing unit I've done is this :

IMG_1819.jpg

Simple affair with hornblock and guides, sprung on 2 carriers underneath. This will be mated with the Comet side frames in the background. Which will invole some cutting and filing to allow everything to fit. The Comet etch is 7 ft between centres and should be 7' 2". But I don't think that's going to matter too much.

As the the 2251. I've gone from a photo, from a video showing 2227 passing through HHL and the top feed on the Bachmann doesn't look too bad in comparrison. The tenders were swooped out and changed as these engines went through services. So they could end up with a much larger tender than they went in with. Fortunately mine had it's oringinal. The Bachmann offering isn't bad at all - it certainly measures up ok and saves me from having to build the Finney 3500 gallon tender sitting on the shelf of shame. There are a couple of things to change and add, but nothing to sweat over.
Progress to date :

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

Hope that answers everything.

Stay safe

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:11 pm

Mike Garwood wrote:Progress to date :
IMG_1816.jpg

Hope that answers everything.
Mike

Hi Mike, not quite. I feel that another little 'deliberate' may have crept in. The crank for the scoop, pt.21, should be inside Pt 7 and inside the leading wheel. Assuming that you have the same Bachmann Collett 3,500gal tender as I do, the front footsteps on the body would foul pt.21. The fit is tight enough as it is!

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:57 pm

Ahhh! Thanks Ted.

Mike

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:07 pm

Mike Garwood wrote:Ahhh! Thanks Ted.

Mike

You're welcome MIke. Impressive though the High Level kit is, there are some traps, especially if you deviate from the design. I don't like driving from the wrong axle, so decided to power the centre one rather than the rear like the Bachmann chassis and Chris's, and I had to CSB the loco as well as the tender - of course...

If you or anyone else is interested in the trials that ensued, I'll be delighted to publish ad nauseam !!!

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:18 am

Ted

I'm going to CSB the loco chassis, so if you'd like to divulge the measurements on the chassis :P . Tender is already done - I just need to figure out how to put some much needed weight into it. The tender is just basically a box after the chassis has been dropped out. I've moved the offending part - thank you so much for pointing that out.

I like the idea you came up with for the Castle bogie. I wonder if there's any milage in this concept for differing engines? I'm assuming there's a rubbing plate/spacer to give the weight to it?
I've used the Masokits bogies on a lot of my engines, but I have to say they are complicated. And my sausage fingers don't do complicated as they used to.

If you'd like to publish what it is you've done then crack on, I don't mind, in fact I'd be greatful!

Stay safe

Mike

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:16 pm

Mike, regarding your sausage finger remark above, I am finding my dexterity is improving the more I model and I have now figured out why surgeons use tweezers a lot. Though none of the sets I have like the heat from the soldering iron so I have to keep bending the tips to make contact again! Even my left hand is improving as I am right handed! So keep preserving the more you do the better you will get. :thumb
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:42 am

Doug,
Have you tried the tweezers available from the cigarette vaping shops - they have ceramic (and replaceable) tips.
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:05 am

John Bateson wrote:Doug,
Have you tried the tweezers available from the cigarette vaping shops - they have ceramic (and replaceable) tips.
John

Yep, I couldn't be without them since mine arrived.

No need to support drug dealers, silly low prices here:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nk ... 2749.l2658

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:59 am

Mike Garwood wrote:...., the County is 4-6-0 as Ivan has said. Origins were Falcon. The only bits that made it to the final model were the cabsides and foot plate - and that was shortened. ....

On reflection, the old M&L Hawksworth County is probably a better starting point.

The Falcon "Mod. Hall" turned out to be so awful that I reckoned it might actually be easier to convert a Finney "Hall" instead :shock:
That would be an ecumenical matter.

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:46 am

John Bateson wrote:Doug,
John

Not yet John I have gone to order a couple of times but part way through been distracted by work or something so not actually finished an order!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:34 pm

So having looked at the way the CSB's would work/ be placed in the chassis - I chickened out (sorry Ted). Man's gotta know his limitations! So I stuck with the compensation.

Added the compo beams and hangars that keep it nicely balenced in the body, all that's left now are the brake rods from the chassis and fitting of the springs - but they can't be done till the gearbox is in place. Crew are ready for another cup of tea. So as soon as it stops raining it'll be off to the paint shop.

Off topic -If anyone can suggest some really good small brushed for figure painting I'd appreciate it. Mine are just about spent.

IMG_1908.jpg

Next up are 15 sets of sprung bogies for a certain layout in Tewkesbury.

Stay safe

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:18 pm

Mike Garwood wrote: Off topic -If anyone can suggest some really good small brushed for figure painting I'd appreciate it. Mine are just about spent.

Hi Mike,

I am looking across to the free mug that I was given at a Warley show when I bought a fair quantity of brushes from this place:

IMG_7037.JPG

http://abcbrushes.com/shop/

They are not top-notch artists brushes, as you would get (and pay for!) in a proper art supplies shop. Yet I think they are pretty good, and reasonably priced. I picked up this set:

http://abcbrushes.com/shop/000035-set-of-8-brushes-model-and-miniature-painting/

for detail work, as well as buying a number described specifically for stippling and dry brushing, which are great for weathering.

HTH
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:06 pm

Mike Garwood wrote:So having looked at the way the CSB's would work/ be placed in the chassis - I chickened out (sorry Ted). Man's gotta know his limitations! So I stuck with the compensation.

Not my loss Mike!

If you, Paul, or anyone else is satisfied with lurchey ride, hesitant pickup, and compromised haulage, it just relieves me of the bother to write up the next instalment of the radio controlled CSB fitted Collett goods that I have just started. From this I realised that the CSB figures I published earlier were the drawing office theory, and not the exact numbers I used when it came to the build. The precision on the CLAG site is not set in stone, a little variation to suit the kit by a millimetre or so either way makes very little, if any, difference.

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:31 pm

Time for another catch up. The 2251 is almost complete. Waiting for the weather to improve to get some weathering done. And no sign of ''lurchey ride, hesitant pickup, and compromised haulage". Still, you can't have everything can you.

2251 finished..jpg

In regards to the Std 5, things have moved on...significantly.

Styd 5 lined.jpg

Lining has been completed, not my best effort at numbering the cab. But the tender has come out well...I think. The tender chassis build has been a mixed bag. The one that came with the kit, I made a right mess of. To the extent the hornblocks have been removed and the chassis returned to the 'tuit' pile. On the plus side I'd already built a standard chassis from a Dave Franks kit which is superb bit of design. This had been destined to replace the existing chassis in the Brit - one that I designed with built in CSB's and fold up hornblocks.

Tender chassis.jpg

The body has now been under the air gun again and been matted down to seal off the lining. The tender body has had weight added to it which has been balenced out to help the springing.

Std 5 matt.jpg

Back to the engine chassis. I'd managed to get the wheels on, added the coupling rods and...nothing. Would qtr turn and jam. Off with the coupling rods to measure the centres - no problem. So the hornblocks will be sitted in the wrong place. Out with the Avondale jig, took my time to set this up accurately. Only to find that both front blocks were not parallel and neither was one of the rear blocks! It's not a surprise that it didn't run. In my defence I did build this prior to the jig coming on the market...
Re-built the chassis, inserted the hornblocks and rewheeled. Ahh the sweet smell of success, on went the coupling rods and I now have a free wheeling chassis. No binds anywhere and runs down an incline without being pushed. On went the brakes and balance weights. Hopefully in the next few days I'll get the oppourtunity to get the pick-ups done. One very happy modeller!

Finshed Std 5 chassis.jpg

Edit : just to say thanks to Paul for the tip on the brushes. Excellent.

Stay safe - it's still out there.

Mike

Noel

Postby Noel » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:08 pm

I was in two minds about telling you this, but, being from an early batch, 73024 had the door attached to the cab, which had rear pillars and the bellows between cab and tender. I am open to correction, but so far as I know, although later batches had a different arrangement with no rear pillars and tender fallplates, none of the early versions were ever altered.
Regards
Noel

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:27 pm

Thanks Noel. Have you got a picture of this. 73024 isn’t in any of my books. Which is why it’s the way it is.

Mike

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:16 am

Excellent work there Mike. Looking forward to seeing the Std 5 up and running. Well done.

Keep Safe

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:14 am

Mike Garwood wrote:Thanks Noel. Have you got a picture of this. 73024 isn’t in any of my books. Which is why it’s the way it is.

Mike

From the Wikipedia the first 50 had BR1 tenders, ie without fall plate and hence doors and canvas bellows on the cab, same as the earlt Brits. Google images brought up the diagrams but no photos that I could see. Nearly all the photos are of preserved examples which don't seem to include any from the first 50.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Noel

Postby Noel » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:24 am

Regards
Noel

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:05 pm

Thanks again Noel. Super useful. But a bit late on this build.

Mike

Return to “On My Workbench”