Socially Distanced Challenge – CR Class 488 Build

What individual members are up to.
Lindsay G

Socially Distanced Challenge – CR Class 488 Build

Postby Lindsay G » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:03 pm

Perhaps it is about time I provided an update on how my entry is getting along. Probably the last thing I needed to do was start yet another loco (or anything new for that matter!) but heh, it adds a target during this lock down, and perhaps something good to come out of this period. I’ll maybe manage to get up to date after a few more posts, but I’m in no hurry for the lock down to be lifted based on progress (and set-backs – more anon) to date.

The Prototype
The subject of build is one of 4 engines of CR Class 488 which were well tanks built by Neilsons. Quite ugly beasts altogether, but cute to model.The initial order was for two engines which was followed by another order for two engines largely to the same design but having several quite prominent superstructure changes (the most noticeable being removal of the quirky combined splashers/sandbox arrangement). The model being built is of the class leader which started life as CR No. 488, then renumbered 167, 167A, 1340, and finally 1167. It outlasted its sister engines and was eventually scrapped in 1911 or 1913 (depending on which source you believe). Being based at Dalry Road for many years, it could have ran to my layout terminus, Barnton, around 1910 hence its choice out of the 4 engines. Here it is in the guise being modelled :

CR 1167.jpg

Reference Material
There isn’t a lot to go on. I have 11 images of class 488 engines (6 of 1167 in its various guises) acquired over the years but expanded and quality improved upon via images acquired recently via the CRA. Also, I have a drawing by the late John Boyle (possibly based on estimates from photographs) who also produced the etch (plus a plethora of other CR/NBR kits). Finally, a Neilson’s Weight Diagram showing several lengthwise and a couple of height dimensions but no width dimensions.

To assist with establishing dimensions, drawing up parts, and printing templates I’m using a Silhouette Cutter and software which can be seen on a PC screen in my registration post as can the parts of the etch.

Parts to hand
An etch provided most of the upper body parts barring the boiler and cab roof. This might have been produced from 7mm artwork reduced to 4mm for etching as some of the parts and detail were too fine to come through the etching process or barely workable in 4mm. The chassis will have to be scratch built and all fittings sourced or manufactured. Wheels were obtained a while ago from Alan Gibson, gearbox and motor from High Level, number plates from 247 Developments, and several other possible parts picked up from time to time from Markits, Alan Gibson, and Wizard Models.

Initial Assessment
By drawing up everything within the Cutter software the profile of the chassis and other parts could be established and the dimensions checked against the etched parts. Things actually looked good overall but with only lateral dimensions to go by such checks were obviously limited. Some differences in dimensions between the drawing and Neilson’s diagram were a tad disconcerting but nothing of great consequent. Some differences between the drawing and images were noticed and noted – unfortunately not all were noticed! I’ll report on differences as this thread develops for anyone with the same etch taking up some space in a drawer or cupboard.

First Build Steps
This is a challenge during lock down and not a normal build. So, I’m not starting as normal with the chassis and working up, but going initially with what I’ve got to hand to make things a bit more pleasurable and to start to see something come out of this current crisis. Having set the scene, I’ll start to cover this in the next post.

Lindsay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andrewnummelin

Re: Socially Distanced Challenge – CR Class 488 Build

Postby andrewnummelin » Fri May 01, 2020 7:11 am

Lovely.
I’m looking forward to following this as I’ve a wish to model an 0-4-4WT (with open cab) and have always thought that hiding the motor and gearbox could be a challenge, as will getting the balance right to keep it on the track and able to pull a decent load.
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Fri May 01, 2020 8:11 am

Yes, weight up front is a bit of a worry especially with CSB’s. The cylinders, et al, will have to be stuffed with liquid lead. No problem at the back with the large void within the bunker.

There’s also a big gap between the driving wheels and bogie so the latter can’t just go along for the ride. So overall my biggest worry is how it will run and pull rather than complexities of the build. I’ll put that worry to the back of my mind for the meantime as other things are making me pull my hair out currently (but that saves the better half cutting it).

Lindsay

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Fri May 01, 2020 9:47 am

Interesting design. Looks like it should have been a Fairlie! Out of curiosity, do you know if was it a manufacturer's design or designed by the Caledonian itself?

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Fri May 01, 2020 10:05 am

Motor in the bunker, loads of space for weight above driving wheels .... if you can get satisfactory drive shaft under the cab floor...surely possible? Or just have the driver in the cab as per the photo and fireman the other side, problem solved.

Yes I thought FR Single Fairlie Taliesin...

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Fri May 01, 2020 1:19 pm

I agree that there is a resemblance to the Fairlie but there is also a strong resemblance to the work of one Mathias Forney as can be seen in the picture at the head of this Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forney_locomotive

Cheers,

David

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Fri May 01, 2020 6:18 pm

David is spot on. Design of these locos was heavily influenced by the American Forney tanks.

Julian, a tenderiser fitted to a 1020 might just squeeze into the tank space but the gearbox would sit immediately above the centre line of the bogie so I'm not sure how everything could be worked in together. But worthwhile revisiting if there are ride problems. I don't want the gearbox or
motor to intrude into the cab as the doors and windows make it quite open.

I'm planning on using a 1024 fitted to a compact and drivestretcher so that the motor is as far back as possible under the boiler. Could change to a 1020 to get a sliver more lead in. However, looking at this issue again today, since I'm using CSB's there is freed up space within the chassis frames and since the splashers/sandboxes and springs will obscure the view beneath the boiler all of that area can hopefully be devoted to lead. The frames towards the front of the loco are thankfully quite deep. Fingers crossed for later on.

Lindsay

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri May 01, 2020 6:28 pm

Fascinating prototype. I wondered about mounting a motor vertically in the firebox, I'm sure Highlevel have a gearbox that would allow it. That said I think Julian has a point.

If you are tempted by CSBs you may like to read this post to sort out how to arrange the bogie.

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Fri May 01, 2020 8:40 pm

Hi Will,

I'm more than tempted by CSB's - all my locos are to that design. So neat and tidy, with no unprotypical big beam glaringly obvious on many Caley locos with daylight between boiler and footplate (but that's a personal opinion - let's not reopen that old argument, folks). The bogie will be mounted on a runner plate and sprung per my take on a Bill Bedford Midland prototype on the CLAG website, so the height of the bogie can be altered via shims if need be and the gauge of wire can be varied on both driving and bogie wheels. All very well in theory!

However, all this on ride and pull, weighting, and springing is for the future. Presently lots of modelling to be done on the loco (and heartache which will be reported on in due course) before we get into the engineering issues. Besides I ain't got a clue on where to start figuring out centres of gravity with this weird and wonderful shape of loco. Maybe I should have chosen a 4 wheel horse box for the challenge!

Whatever, all this discussion breaks down the feeling of isolation. Stay safe,

Lindsay

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri May 01, 2020 11:30 pm

Lindsay G wrote:Hi Will,

I'm more than tempted by CSB's - all my locos are to that design. So neat and tidy, with no unprotypical big beam glaringly obvious on many Caley locos with daylight between boiler and footplate (but that's a personal opinion - let's not reopen that old argument, folks).
You say all the right things
The bogie will be mounted on a runner plate and sprung per my take on a Bill Bedford Midland prototype on the CLAG website, so the height of the bogie can be altered via shims if need be and the gauge of wire can be varied on both driving and bogie wheels. All very well in theory!
Sounds about right in practice too
However, all this on ride and pull, weighting, and springing is for the future. Presently lots of modelling to be done on the loco (and heartache which will be reported on in due course) before we get into the engineering issues.
Should be fun. I'm looking forward to it.
Besides I ain't got a clue on where to start figuring out centres of gravity with this weird and wonderful shape of loco.
You should find all you need to know in the link I put on the last post. There is some maths but its simple stuff. Actually with that long fixed footplate and good places to add weight at the ends I suspect getting the balance right wont be half as difficult as you might expect it to be. I doubt the prototype was expected to haul particularly big loads anyway, so you shouldn't need to go to extreams when weighting it up.
Whatever, all this discussion breaks down the feeling of isolation. Stay safe,
I agree the forum is really coming into its own. You stay safe too..

Lindsay G

Socially Distanced Challenge – CR Class 488 - Build Started

Postby Lindsay G » Sun May 03, 2020 2:23 pm

And so to build......

I decided to take a modular approach and build the three main areas of the body separately, i.e. footplate, boiler, and cab/bunker/well. That should make it easier to drill holes for detail not allowed for previously, butcher parts when it comes to fitting the gearbox and motor, and to stop and start sections if purchases have to be made. Here goes :

Footplate
Dealing with this seemed uneventful. The footplate aft of the firebox was solid brass, so a hole was cut to allow access to the bunker/well tank (just referred to as bunker hereafter) void once that was soldered in place – nothing too pretty at this stage as it will be filed back further once everything is finally fitted. The splashers/sandboxes were folded up and fold line soldered, but the outer curved top ends were too narrow so these were removed, new items cut and shaped, and soldered in place.

The valances should have a slightly more transitional curve at the buffer ends, more like the curvature around the cab steps but not as elongated, but I decided to live with this slight imperfection rather than start both from scratch. There was an extension at both outer ends with (conflicting) etched fold line but I couldn’t see what the point of these were so off they came.

The buffer beams were wooden. Buffer beams were part of the etch presumably intended as an overlay to whatever the modeller decided upon. I decided upon PCB. There was no rear beam section on the etch but by adding one the other ends of the rivets could be represented and the thickness of the three parts spot on.

The etched buffer beam didn’t have all the half etched holes for the rivets seen in the images, so others were created using a needle and toffee hammer. The rear buffer actually gained a third rivet on the outer sides some time in service so these were also introduced.

Buffe beams.jpg

One buffer beam was soldered to the footplate followed by the valances and finally the beam at the other end – equidistant at both ends first time! After assembly, the cab steps were added – hopefully not too soon! Holes were drilled for lubricators when it was still easy to do so.

Buffers were soldered into place (Alan Gibson MR buffers being used but they’ll need a ring of wire or similar added at the end. Also 4 securing bolts aren’t represented but added later by using Archers resin rivets. I had ran out of appropriate drawhooks so an order was placed with Ambis and Alan came up with the goods in very good time. I always solder 2 together and then file the edges nearly to a point to give a better prototypical and 3D appearance. Ambis drawbar plates were also used (no bolts on the Caley plate, so the etched bolts were filed off and they were soldered on back to front).

This image gives an idea of where we’ve got to. The missing splasher/sandbox part will be explained in a later post.

Chassis.jpg

Boiler
Brass was cut to size for the boiler based on lengthwise dimension from the drawing and width dimension from the etch of the smokebox front (using 2PiR from school maths for the circumference), guide holes drilled for the boiler fittings, and then rolled to shape. I forgot to cut slots to form the bottoms of the firebox and smokebox so later had to carefully cut them with a piercing saw (schoolboy error then).

The boiler soldered up easily with a re-enforcing piece of brass to the inside at the join. I then used the smokebox front and cab front to re-form the shape of the firebox and smokebox. The smokebox front was then soldered into place (note that there is no wrapper for the smokebox – it looks like a continuous unit on the prototype from front to rear barring the boiler rings). The rear of the smokebox was made from brass and soldered in place.

Test fitted the boiler to the footplate which just needed some fettling to the front of footplate to accommodate the smokebox area. Bottom ends of the firebox and smokebox will need to be trimmed back but that can wait until the chassis is made.

Boiler.jpg

Cab & Bunker
This starts as two separate parts that have then to be united to finish it all off.

The cab came with all 4 sides on one etch plus eight window/entrance frames. The rivets were punched out following the half etched holes but more rivets were on the cab sides of all 488’s so had to be introduced. The 6 window and 2 entrance frames were then soldered in place, then the cab could be folded up and soldered together (but did take a wee bit of effort and fettling to get a perfect rectangle). There is hardly any material above the door so the cab could be easily damaged - strengthener pieces were temporarily soldered across the cab entrance.

Cab.jpg

Damn, later noticed that the rear cab windows opened, so there should be 3 rivets represented around each - more Archer rivets will have to be used in due course. Additional holes will need to be drilled at the front of the cab for Westinghouse pipes, whistle, etc., but will be done later. There was a central hole on the etch but it was far too low for the safety valve lever and if intended for the whistle wrong as this was installed offset to the left.

The bunker was comprised of 4 parts, an inner “box” arrangement and 3 delicate half etched overlays : a lower side section to go around the box, a flared top section, and the upper surface. The inner box etch makes up into a base for the top, 3 sides (left, right and rear) joined to the top each with another section to create an area to attach to the footplate with each having 2 holes to locate with 6 holes on the footplate. This folded up easily and corners were strengthened with solder – care being taken to ensure everything was at right angles (the sides of the box don’t meet as the 4 corners are 2mm radius curves created by the overlays). It was temporarily bolted to the footplate for test fit with cab before starting to add the overlay. A couple of holes were drilled in the overlay for brackets that will be added later. The centre point of the overlay and rear of inner box were marked so that it ended up equidistant at the front (but it still took a couple of goes to get it right). There were helpful holes in the corners of the box so a 4mm drill was inserted to curve the overlay round it. The overlay was soldered to the three sides but the front curves can’t be finalised until the bunker and cab are united.

That’s quite enough for one update. Here, more or less, is where we’ve got to when temporarily putting the three items together. The bunker wrapper is still in course of being fitted in this image and the drawhooks were winging their way from Ambis when the image was taken.

3 areas together.jpg

At this stage I’m feeling quite pleased with how relatively well things have gone together, and speed of progress to date. Pah, little did I know what was round the corner. There are three inaccuracies that will set me back somewhat (I’ll not ask you to try and spot them but if you’ve nothing better to do during lockdown have a go altho’ you’d be hard pressed to notice 2 of them). Unfortunately, some further progress was made on the model before I actually uncovered them.

Lindsay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

charleswrigley

Postby charleswrigley » Mon May 04, 2020 8:52 am

Nice progress on an interesting prototype. One point of detail though, the footplate only ran as far as the back edge of the cab and the bunker sat separately astride the valences with its lower edge level with the lower edge of the footplate. The width of the bunker is the same as the footplate or possibly a smidgeon wider.

If you have access to the newly released Photo Data Base made available by the Forum of Scottish Line Societies there are several good views of 488s which show the arrangement.

Charlie

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Mon May 04, 2020 9:45 am

Hi Charlie,

I've had access to the images that have just appeared on the database that you've mentioned for some weeks now and am pouring over them constantly. I got access to the database itself just last week via the CRA. A very useful resource for anyone modelling any of the Scottish companies and a member of their associated Society (plug - go join your line Society if you're not already a member!).

You are quite correct in what you say. That is one of the inaccuracies mentioned in my previous post (with the overlay not yet in place I wondered whether anyone would have seen the footplate). The footplate is too wide compared to the bunker width. Which is correct (if either are) I know not as yet as I don't have any width dimensions from official documents. I have posed a question to the CRA Forum, but don't really expect an answer. I do hope it turns out to be the footplate as the bunker is virtually impossible to correct as you'll see from another post in the near future. Of course that would mean that the cab isn't wide enough either. However, from other observations from the images, which I'll cover in due course, I feel it is the footplate etch that is at fault.

This problem has not been corrected yet and won't be until I tackle the cylinder slidebar assembly (which I'm currently putting off!). I'm really thankful - and lucky - that I decided to take a modular approach to the build as correction would have been a whole lot more painful otherwise.

Lindsay

Lindsay G

CR Class 488 Build - Cab Bunker

Postby Lindsay G » Mon May 04, 2020 11:47 pm

Just a short update, regarding finishing off the basic build of cab and bunker. Short update but the time taken to finish this off was anything but short. Let the fun begin :

First up, we’re about to create the flared top to the bunker for which there is a half etched part. Unfortunately it hasn’t wholly survived the etching process as part of the top raised edge is missing. I’m not sure if this was meant to represent the beading but in view of the damage it is about to be filed off.

Bunker top.jpg

The curve of the flare was estimated and introduced by rubbing the rounded end of a paint brush handle along the length of it whilst held against a variety of objects. As before the centre point of the part and the rear of the bunker were marked and soldering commenced along the length of the rear and most of the way along the sides. 0.3mm wire was then added around the top to represent the beading starting at the rear and curving around the corners to the sides. I made sure I was happy with the rear before finishing most of the sides – a few adjustments were needed.

The front corners of both the lower and upper overlays were then part finished off with lots of trial fitting to the cab and a lower panel within the cab yet to be fitted. Lots of rework and fettling was required to get the flared top sloping down and round like the prototype. Before finalising that, I returned to the rear corners to fill the missing part of the flare. This was done but adding thin (5 thou?) brass cut with scissors so that it naturally curled and flared out. This was offered up then fettled, offered up then fettled (repeat countless times), then finally soldered into place. The missing areas were filled with solder and filed to shape. Wish that they were added as quickly as I wrote this – both took a good few goes to get right whilst the air turned decidedly blue.

Bunker corners.jpg

Now it was time to unite the bunker and cab along with the lower panel of the cab rear which I haven’t really mentioned yet. After folding this up, it took a few adjustments to get it lying neatly with the rear of the cab, and then further adjustments until it met with the curved corners of the tender overlay. Before fitting it, I made up a handbrake wheel from 3 parts overlaid from a Bill Bedford etch (I think), judged the position of it on the panel, drilled a hole and soldered it on. I figured that it was a lot easier to add it at this stage and that within the cab it wouldn’t get damaged in manhandling.

So with no further ado, the rear panel was soldered in place with the bunker not-so-quickly following. The bunker top overlay was added about as quickly as typing this sentence - OK, slight exaggeration. Job done, we now have the main parts of the cab/bunker unit complete :

cab-bunker.jpg

Life would have been easier if I’d modelled 1169 or 1170 as the bunker stopped at the rear of the cab rather than the cab entrance and the rear wall was flush from top to bottom – but then, they didn’t have the quirky splashers/sandbox arrangement. Spurred on with how the assembly looked, I set about adding the water filler which was made from a short length of brass tube, fortuitously having the correct diameter to hand, topped with a lid fashioned from brass sheet. A 12ba screw was soldered to the lid before fitting so that the complete assembly could be fitted/removed. Also in the image is a temporarily positioned “vent” which I will cover later.

That’s it for now. Must be on to the chassis next, yes? Emm. Well no, some self-indulgence creeps in.

Lindsay

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Tue May 05, 2020 8:12 am

An interesting build of a characterful locomotive. Keep going.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

charleswrigley

Postby charleswrigley » Tue May 05, 2020 9:12 am

Hi Lindsay, The newly accessible photographic database is a wonderful asset especially when it covers the more antiquated subjects. You can never have too many photographs though sometimes you are left wondering if one too many has turned up. The structure of CR 'Stroudley' tenders would be my clue for the bunker but I will leave it to you muse on the intricacies of the 488. You are doing a cracking job so far and I am following your progress with interest. I particularly enjoyed your latest instalment on forming the flare and corners which should help hone my technique when I come to that area on my lockdown challenge. Unfortunately it is in 7mm scale so it is unlikely to feature here.

Charlie

essdee

Postby essdee » Tue May 05, 2020 9:47 am

Lindsay, Charles,
Lovely job shaping up there - am feeling almost wistful that I did not undertake a build of this for Jim Pairman before I retired.

Bunker/footplate - I am puzzled. Photo of 1167 seems clearly to show (despite unfortunate masking by a porter's arm) the footplate continuing under the bunker, and extending past it to overlap the rear buffer beam, as at the front? I do not have access to the Scottish Forum's archive, where the contrary evidence presumably lies?

Cheers,

Steve

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Tue May 05, 2020 11:44 am

Hi Steve,

Nice to hear from you again, hope you're keeping well. I had it in the back of my mind that you had built one of these for someone. Well if Jim still has his, that's 3 etches in drawers out there that I know of and the body started on a fourth - this thread might be of use to someone after all!

The bunker and the footplate are the same width - I'll be posting a better image showing this in due course. As you say, the footplate continues to run under the bunker and onto the rear buffer beam at the rear - you can just make that out from the lead photo. The beam lies beyond the bunker, the rear of the bunker being in line with the end of the valance, and from another image I can see a row of rivets atop the beam presumably securing the rear of the bunker to the footplate (more Archers rivets needed!). Hope this clarifies.

Lindsay

essdee

Postby essdee » Tue May 05, 2020 7:15 pm

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for the confirmation; I just have a few pics in an article from 'The Locomotive' that Jim P. had forwarded me, but not as clear as your heading image. A delightful prototype and you are going to make a superb job of it; I will follow with interest. That bunker is looking very neat -as is the rest of the superstructure.

We are fine thanks, busily occupied, and the garden has never looked better! We chose to lockdown a week before the Govt. semi-woke up, as we have both recently 'passed the peak' and heading for 70.....

While I am here, although your 0-4-4WT chassis is some way ahead, I have attached a couple of pics of a bogie arrangement from my build of Justin Newitt's Rumney MR 0-4-4T chassis for Pete Tarver. I had noted your interest in the bogie pickups in a build on another thread, and have modified these to use a combined busbar and pickup connection/side control. It avoids soldered sections of wire below the bogie frame, and the side-control seems to work nicely on the working chassis so far, to 3ft 6ins curves. The errant pickup, missing its flange, has been tweaked, of course.

The body (SDJR Avonside 0-4-4T, smaller cousin of the MR version, same wheelbase but detail differences) is a JM kit, currently in Highbridge Works erecting shop. The bogie arrangements might give you food for thought before construction commences? Hope it helps the process anyway!

Keep it coming..

Cheers,

Steve

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Tue May 05, 2020 11:49 pm

I've seen that bogie on another thread by MarkS and that's where I nicked the idea of using phosphor bronze from the pick up PCB as a side control as well as conducting power through to elsewhere on the chassis. I used it on the build of a Class 171. Great idea killing 2 birds with the one stone (is that politically correct in this day and age? Mr Attenborough won't be amused). I'll look back at your pick up alternative when I get there (if ever at present rate of progress).

Just wish I had a chassis and bogie all etched and ready to go like that. It must be like putting an Airfix kit together for you, no? The bogie on that 1P strikes an uncanny resemblance to the one on the 488's. Wait until you see my crude effort by comparison. Same principle for springing but no hornblocks being used here, and the representation of the spring will be a curved piece of brass, full stop, but then again only a fraction of it can ever be seen.

Quite a productive session tonight for me, makes a change of late. Wish it would rain, then I'd have a great reason to stay indoors and crack on.

Lindsay

Lindsay G

Socially Distanced Challenge – CR Class 488 - Some Boiler Fittings

Postby Lindsay G » Thu May 07, 2020 11:44 pm

I’ve not yet raised the enthusiasm to start a lot of piercing saw work on the chassis and rods, so am succumbing to a little self-indulgence and progressing some boiler fittings. Well, it’s all got to be done sometime, so why not? Besides, an eBay purchase of more blades is awaited. (The last batch I bought seem to cut to the left – has anyone else encountered this and what’s the solution? Bin them, I think).

Chimney, Dome & Smokebox Door
I’d bought some Alan Gibson castings at S4 North a couple of years ago as possible items for this build including a chimney and dome :

Chimney & Dome.jpg

Well, they seemed possibilities at the show but the chimney increases in diameter far too much and the dome whilst a good height is a size 10 around the waist when it should be a 16. Anyone need some castings?

So, out came the lathe to turn a chimney, dome, and smokebox door. So long since I’ve used the lathe that I had to remind myself about everything again but I had a good tutor in Terry B. Nothing really of note with any of them, but I’ll have to go back and give them a final tart up and slim down around the bases.

Turnings.jpg

Safety Valve and Whistle
On to the safety valve and whistle which were far less run of the mill and far more to figure out before tackling them. Eventually they looked like this, but magnification is somewhat cruel :

Valve & Whistle.jpg

The starting points were a casting for a Ross pop valve from another CR kit which I thought I’d never use and an MR whistle from Markits :

Pop & Whistle.jpg

The casting was a good diameter at the bottom and the curve wasn’t too far out to fit atop the boiler. However, compared to that on 488’s, the height of the casing was too low and the valve tubes too long. Easypeasy, add a piece of 22 thou N/S and fix both issues :

Valve.jpg

Not too pretty in that image and still not perfect after a lot of fettling but cellulose putty or whatever will save the day later on. The valves had a shoulder that was represented by an overlay of short lengths of brass tube. One of the easing levers that came with the etch (there were three lever variants on the etch) was a good representation but I screwed up and had to start afresh. The spring was made from fine brass wire that surrounds some Rioja wine bottles (I seem to have a reputation for finding uses for the wire and disposing of the contents).

The whistle just needed some filing at the bottom then various lengths and diameters of tube or wire added going off in several directions. During construction of this, when I wanted to represent a nut I finally found a way of cutting tiny lengths of tube or rod without difficulty and without loss of parts flying across the workshop. The solution is detailed here to avoid cluttering up this update.

Handrail
Finally, I added the handrail. Alan Gibson medium knobs were used throughout and the wire is 0.6mm N/S wire (less prone to misshaping than brass). What I love about the prototype is the way that the handrail curved gracefully upwards immediately in front of the smokebox knob to then curve over the smokebox, but that love tarnishes when you start to model it. A curious combined handrail fitting/lamp iron at the top of the front is yet to be added.

Putting them all together
So after all that effort, we’ve got to this stage :

Indulgence over.jpg

It’s starting to look OK, and more akin to the prototype, but it really has reached the point that I need to introduce a chassis to progress further. So that will definitely feature in the next update. I'm still looking for a long extension to social distancing to complete this in time, and unfortunately that does seem a grim possibility for months yet. Chin up, stay safe, keep doing something, anything,

Lindsay
Last edited by Lindsay G on Fri May 08, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Socially Distanced Challenge – CR Class 488 - Some Boiler Fittings

Postby Paul Willis » Fri May 08, 2020 6:09 am

Lindsay G wrote:I’ve not yet raised the enthusiasm to start a lot of piercing saw work on the chassis and rods, so am succumbing to a little self-indulgence and progressing some boiler fittings. Well, it’s all got to be done sometime, so why not? Besides, an eBay purchase of more blades is awaited. (The last batch I bought seem to cut to the left – has anyone else encountered this and what’s the solution? Bin them, I think).

Lindsay,

In short, yes. Bin them.

I don't know why it is, but some blades just don't cut straight. They seem possessed by demons from the outset.

In my experience, I wouldn't necessarily assume that it is every single blade in a pack though. So perhaps try them out, but be ruthless if they show any sign of misbehaviour. Victorian schooling techniques for them!

Take care,
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Winander

Postby Winander » Fri May 08, 2020 11:37 am

Lindsay,

Really enjoying this, I'm always pleased to see you have an update and the engine looks great. Thanks also for the (much needed) encouragement..
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

essdee

Postby essdee » Fri May 08, 2020 11:53 am

Yes indeed,
That's wonderful work improving the SV and whistle; you already 'have' the 488; am sure the chassis will evolve steadily..

Cheers,

Steve

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Fri May 08, 2020 8:34 pm

Steve, Richard,

Ta for these words....and the encouragement is actually a 2 way process, especially after the sessions when it's 2 steps forward but 3 back.

Lindsay

Return to “On My Workbench”