The Socially-Distanced Challenge - Registration Thread

JackBlack

Re: The Socially-Distanced Challenge - Registration Thread

Postby JackBlack » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:29 pm

I'm currently stuck in Portugal for who-knows how long, with my stash in London, and all I have left to occupy my time now is a signal box roof and two wagons to paint.

But then this arrived this morning from Timber Tracks and I'm so happy because I have something to get stuck into, especially with a four day weekend and some pretty lousy weather looming.

I don't have a location for this yet, but I just fancied building a big goods shed, and sifting through all the parts it looks like a great kit! I'll add some interior detail and some lighting....

IMG_20200408_143430968.jpg

IMG_20200408_143501253.jpg

Cheers, Nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nick Allport
CLAG

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:15 pm

Happy Days Nick. Stay Safe.

Dave

Penrhos1920

Postby Penrhos1920 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:10 am

Whilst I currently have over 100 unfinished projects around the workbench. Also have at least twice that number of ‘to start’ projects sitting in draws. One of them is a David Geen milk tank kit which was bought specifically to be built as ADW2592 which used to hangout at Liverpool St station whilst I was a kid.

Okay, I’ve found it in my collection of slides, I managed to photograph it on 17th April 1982, but there is a gap where it should be. So here is a one I've found on flickr

ImageFormer Milk Tanker Wagon Used For Oil Storage (ADW2592) at London Liverpool Street Station 07.06.1985 M496.........A Jim Freebury Railway Slide collection picture. by Railway Dave & Jim Freebury, on Flickr
Last edited by Penrhos1920 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:31 pm

So, my shelf of shame is slowly deminishing. I define my shelf as these projects started and still incomplete. Not unstarted kits.

Finished the 56xx (bar a bit of further weathering, which will happen this evening once the temp goes down), 2 * 16t mins completed and the Brit and crew are all being sorted. Still to finish my Std class 5, chip my Cl 52 and re-paint, detail and paint class 37 (currently marooned in Glewstone), Std cl 4 tank to detail (marooned in Tewkesbury) and several wagons that need transfers - problem is I can't remember what they are!

IMG_1719(1).jpg

Chassis runs well, just hope there are no shorts!

IMG_1716.jpg

High level chassis, say no more other than to thank Chris for a brilliant bit of design.

IMG_1718.jpg

One of Mr Newitts chassis, they need brakes that work as they keep trying to fall off the edge of the work bench!

More as it happens, I expect to finish the Brit next week.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:52 pm

Looking good Mike - the driver reminds me of a photo of a mate who had a mug photoshopped from his hand, but otherwise left in a rather odd pose!

Sounds like quite a few things for you to bring along next time we are allowed to congregate - I look forward to seeing them :)

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:34 pm

Mike Garwood wrote:One of Mr Newitts chassis, they need brakes that work as they keep trying to fall off the edge of the work bench!

Passing over the repeated number :) , all 16T minerals with Morton 2-shoe brake gear, as built, had the end door to the left when facing the side with brake shoes. When they were rebodied in the 1970s, this became random; it probably depended on which way round the chassis was when it went into the works.

The prototype white lines marking end doors were 2.5" wide, officially. The angle varied quite a bit, but the width seems to have been fairly consistent

Sorry.....
Regards
Noel

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:01 pm

Looking good Mike the 56XX will be due for a run on BR and we can see it's pulling power.
I'm due to have another look at your 4MT next week.
Robin

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:38 pm

Noting that the rules allow multiple entries I propose to enter my next batch of signals, if I may.

One of these is destined for Benfieldside and is starter for the up main and its adjacent bay. It will be of the NER heavy bracket form, with slotted posts and M&H finials. Hopefully it will look a bit like this (although with two full arms, not a shunt arm):

IMG_6021 (2).JPG

IMG_6018 (2).JPG

The one after is to be of Midland design and is for some friends who are constructing a Midland layout. I have a stack of signals to do for them and I am starting at the easy end with a simple single arm signal and should like this:

6097982480_6427ce6cf0_z.jpg

Things are underway; so I will plonk a post on my Highland Miscellany thread viewtopic.php?f=91&t=1345

IMG_6038 (3).JPG
Mark Tatlow

Chris Mitton

Postby Chris Mitton » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:05 pm

It's long since past the time when I should get round to actually building another model - so here is one from my Drawer of Endless Procrastination, which I will hopefully start work on tomorrow as a change from the Society's spreadsheets! This pile of bits is an LRM kit, which hopefully will one day bear a passing resemblance to an LNER J3 0-6-0, and will one day run on my GN&GE Joint branch line (should I get time to build it before the Grim Reaper comes calling :D ).

LRM J3 etches.jpg

Should keep me socially distant for a good while,
Regards
Chris

barhamd

Postby barhamd » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:18 pm

If no-one objects to a second activity I'll add my B1 build. A bit of soldering will make a nice change, let someone else (Dave Bradwell) do the CAD for a while! I started a Thursday night with drilling out and tapping the frame spacers flat on the etch as per the instructions. I was fortunate that this required a 10BA and a 14BA tap, which happen to be the only 2 taps I own!

I'll stick some progress photos in my B1 thread.

thanks
David

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:42 pm

Since my virtual banana vans may have to held over for a new printer after lock-down, I'm making another entry. Having recently finished a couple of items from the FIFO of Fear, I feel justified in starting a new kit.

Therefore: SECR (ex-SER) 27' brake-3rd of 1897.
IMG_3902.JPG

This comes from the Jurassic layers of my kit-pile and completes a minimal train with the previously-built-but-not-quite finished vehicles from the same range. I plan to paint, line and letter all six of these coaches in one go. Eventually, there will be few more in the train, but I'd like to get the first six runnable.

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Sun May 03, 2020 10:19 am

As my first thought's about items to enter were deemed not to be allowed by the "Wizard of the Moor' as I had done some work on them prior to S4N. So I my eye around my box of unmade goodies for something else and came upon on Colin Ashby model on a GWR Mink C (which I think I found on the bring & buy) and for which I had already got both a Morgan Design underframe and solebar etch's.

IMG_1071 copy.jpg

Dave

CeeJay60

Postby CeeJay60 » Wed May 13, 2020 11:22 am

As it's only rarely that I dip into the Forum, and I don't recall any mention having been made of it in our two-weekly Area Group Zoom calls, the Socially Distanced Challenge had passed me by until Snooze 217 dropped through the letterbox the other day.

I've been laying track for the last 6 weeks or so, and over the last few days have been thinking about what else I might like to do. So the Socially Distanced Challenge is a timely opportunity to start doing something different.

After a bit of thought and a rummage in those big boxes of kits that "I'm going to build real soon now, honest guv", I offer the following: -
[img]IMG_1671.JPG[/img]

The image says it all really, although I'm sure that there will be other detail parts added before completion.

I'll try to keep a diary as I go, and who knows, EditorTim might be able to make something of it - but no promises!

I'm sure I'll enjoy the build, but I'm not looking forward to doing the red lining, since I've got another loco stuck in the paint shop at that stage!

Now if I can just finish off that single slip, I'll get going on this ...
Cheers,
Colin

I promise I'll get some of it right some of the time!

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu May 14, 2020 5:36 am

CeeJay,

please create another topic under locos so we can all see where you go with this. I have built one.... but I see an etch that you have might have gone walk about on me so I need to find it. (this is the brake gear to the tender)

I missed putting the pipe on the side of the boiler (it is in the one day i will get around to it list) when I get back to it! :thumb
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Thornbush

Postby Thornbush » Mon May 25, 2020 4:40 pm

This is the first post I have ever put on this forum, hence the delay as I had problems logging in!

Anyway, retirement at the end of March coincided with lockdown and one of the many projects came out of the cupboard (not of shame but set aside for when I had the time, certainly). The project is a LSWR T3 from a Martin Finney/Brassmaters kit and, so far, I have completed what I would normally do in years in as many months!

As with all kits designed by martin, it is all going together well, any shortcomings being due to the builder, not the kit. I attach photos of the tender, which is basically complete. I also have the loco chassis built and running and will post photos of that separately.

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue May 26, 2020 12:58 am

Thornbush, that is looking very neat and tidy. :thumb
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Thornbush

Postby Thornbush » Tue May 26, 2020 10:08 am

Thank youDougN.

Just to prove I am not cheating, the photo below was taken 2 April.

CeeJay60

Postby CeeJay60 » Wed May 27, 2020 5:26 pm

Building a layout and a loco kit clearly isn't enough for me - I've been inspired!

In addition to the London Road Models D17 Kit I submitted previously, I would like to submit another couple of items.

With the demise of Scaleforum 2020, and the closing date for this Socially Distanced Challenge described as "TBC, but likely to be one week or so before the start of the next Society show", I reckon we've got until next April and hopefully Scalefour North 2021 to complete these projects!

I've been thinking about and discussing these for quite some time, but I received deliveries last Friday to kick start these further two projects.

Entry No.2 - Wagons
For my layout set in 1938, I need lots of fitted stock, and the predominant fitted opens would have been the 6,000-odd Diagram 92 6-plank opens on wooden sole bars with 10ft wheelbase. The fitted 5-plank opens on steel sole bars with 10ft wheelbase to Diagram 120, as exemplified by the Parkside PC25 kit, would have been brand new and relatively few, but I will have some of those too.

I noticed some time ago that the body sides and ends of the Cambrian C81 kit for 6-plank open wagons were dead ringers against the drawing in Tatlow Volume 4a of the fitted 6-plank open wagons to Diagram 92.

To be more precise, the C81 kit as it comes represents the more than 20,000 Diagram 3 wagons (and possibly the Great Northern predecessor); and there were some 600 of the fitted version to Diagram 4. ABS / Four Most models used to do white metal kits for these - I have one, but it's not likely I'll be able to get any more!

So if I can find some decent wooden sole bars with a 10ft wheelbase and vacuum fitted brake gear to put under the Cambrian C81 bodies, I reckon I can knock together a decent representation of the Diagram 92 wagons ….

A query to the Cambrian Model Rail website https://www.cambrianmodelrail.co.uk/ explaining what I want to do initiated an email dialogue with Graham, who was very helpful, and which culminated in an order for selected sprues from various Cambrian kits.

I also had in stock a couple of the C81 kits (of different ages, as you can tell from the packaging!), and they’re all laid out in the photo below.
IMG_1687.JPG

So I propose to build a batch of four wooden sole bar wagons: -
• Diagram 3 unfitted 9ft wheelbase – the Cambrian C81 kit more or less as it comes;
• Diagram 4 fitted 9ft wheelbase – the Cambrian C81 kit with fitted brake gear;
• Diagram 92 fitted 10t wheelbase – the Cambrian parts with fitted brake gear;
• Diagram 92 fitted 10t wheelbase – the Cambrian parts with fitted brake gear;
In so doing I will ring the changes with wheel selection and suspension solutions, and no doubt lots of other details along the way.

If the moderator is nice enough to set me up with a sub-forum in the On My Workbench section of the forum, I’ll try to keep you all up to date with how it all goes.

Of course, if I’m pleased with the outcome of the Diagram 92 builds, I’ll need to multiply them!
Cheers,
Colin

CeeJay60

Postby CeeJay60 » Wed May 27, 2020 5:49 pm

Entry No. 3 – Signals
While in discussion with Cambrian about wagons, I also had an email exchange with Andrew at Model Signal Engineering, and after a comprehensive browse through the signalling part of the Wizard Models website (http://www.wizardmodels.ltd/), I got a load of signal parts.

My objective is the down platform starter at Alnmouth. The down main is the ECML to Berwick and Edinburgh, while the branch off to the left is to Alnwick. The sky repeats were necessary because of the road over-bridge at the south end of the station. The signal was so tall that it needed guy wire supports, one of which is visible in the photo.
Alnmouth box and signals.jpg

The photo dates from 1953 and shows the replacement upper quadrant arm on the down main home signal, with the sky repeat still lower quadrant – a feature which is too interesting not to model, even though I am backdating to 1938. The other lamp platform supports which can be seen on the main upright were originally for the down main to up main backover signal, and an up branch to up main distant signal, as seen in this excerpt from a much earlier photo taken from the other direction. I intend to include these.
Down Main Starter Up Signals - extracted.jpg

So while I might not have everything I need to complete a representation of this fine signal, I should have enough bits to make a start: -
IMG_1691.JPG

As with my other projects, I’ll try to keep you informed of progress in the On My Workbench area of the forum.
Cheers,
Colin

CeeJay60

Postby CeeJay60 » Wed May 27, 2020 6:11 pm

DougN wrote:CeeJay,

please create another topic under locos so we can all see where you go with this. I have built one.... but I see an etch that you have might have gone walk about on me so I need to find it. (this is the brake gear to the tender)

I missed putting the pipe on the side of the boiler (it is in the one day i will get around to it list) when I get back to it! :thumb

Doug,
I've started my "On My Workbench" thread, you should be able to follow my adventures there.
Cheers,
Colin

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed May 27, 2020 6:28 pm

CeeJay60 wrote:Entry No. 3 – Signals
Alnmouth box and signals.jpg

Now that is a signal!!!
Mark Tatlow

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:02 pm

I sat down this lunchtime with a brew (tea naturally) and read Snooze 217 again and saw the Challenge short article. This set me thinking (dangerous activity) that I had completed a few models over the course of the SI period, the main one being a South East Finecast/Branchlines Sentinel (or SentinAl as they put it on the box). I have completed it well within the Challenge's time scale and details of the build can be found here -

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... -sentinel/

Editor Tim has a short article about it for the next Snooze but the RMWeb thread goes into a lot more detail. With good luck and a fair wind it should be at S4N next year. Here's hoping we can all go :thumb

Sentinel Finished.A.jpg

andrewnummelin

Re: The Socially-Distanced Challenge - Registration Thread - A Completion!

Postby andrewnummelin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:21 pm

Perhaps not really complete, but nothing more can be done until the end of social distancing when I'll be able to take these somewhere to see if they actually stay on the track and go round corners. The little one has 7 spoke wheels with tyres way below the P4 standards of width, is very light (but has CSB suspension) and the large one has restricted bogie rotation (Dean swing link suspension).
P1030101.JPG

The full story is in the "on my workbench" thread https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=6884&start=25#p74170.
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

awebber

Postby awebber » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:23 am

This is a Bachmann O4 purchased in December 2020. As you can see some work has been started with the intention of making it 6190 in P4 and adapting it from its British Railways guise as produced.

awebber

Postby awebber » Tue May 04, 2021 12:54 pm

Started after lockdown and finished in May 2020. BW&Co wagon is Parkside PC71, B&C wagon Parkside PC69, Wood & Co Parkside PC73, Birley Parkside PC71. All with Exactoscale 4WC U06A underframe and POWsides transfers.

The wagon plates were commissioned by me from John Peck of Precision Labels and some may be seen at https://www.instagram.com/precisionpics

These private owner wagon plates cover:
Charles Roberts Builders dated
Charles Robert Builders undated
Derbyshire Carriage & Wagon Company
Gloucester Carriage & Wagon Company Builders
Gloucester Carriage & Wagon Company Owners
Gloucester Carriage & Wagon Company Repair (2 types)
Sample L&YR, GWR, LMS, LNER, SR weight plates and
Sample owners plates. Also some LNER carriage plates for dimensions and weight.

Return to “Socially Distanced Challenge”