The Socially-Distanced Challenge - Registration Thread

Wizard of the Moor

The Socially-Distanced Challenge - Registration Thread

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:10 pm

Please use this thread to register the start and finish of entries to the Socially-Distanced Challenge. One post each for the start and finish of each entry.

The registration of the start of an entry should include at least a description of the subject of the model.

The registration of the finish of an entry should include at least one picture of the finished model together with details of the components and materials used.

Documentation and discussion of the build of an entry can take place elsewhere (another forum, a blog, an article for the News, for example), but not in this thread please!

If you would prefer to register directly with the organiser then please send your entries to sdchallenge@scalefour.org.
James Dickie

My workbench

barhamd

Re: The Socially-Distanced Challenge - Registration Thread

Postby barhamd » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:20 pm

Right, I'll bite....

Having almost finished the station building for Clare it was probably time I started thinking about the goods shed. I'm hoping an incomplete TurboCAD drawing and a few collected photographs don't count as 'already started'.

This will another MDF and card laser cut construction with various 3D printed bits.

A good idea of the building can be seen on disused-stations.

I'll post updates on my Stour Valley thread and on rmweb.

keep safe everyone

David Barham

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:24 pm

Whilst I wish to use most of any free time when I am not working from home trying to finish things, I will rise to this challenge.

The next thing I had in mind tackling is a bit of a beast of a coach; a Caledonian Grampian Stock brake composite. This will be the construction of a Caley Coaches kit (https://caley.com/grampian.php), produced by Jim Smellie and this is a drawing of the said animal:

D95 drawing.jpg

These were built for the premier express trains of the Caledonian's system - particularly to and from Aberdeen (presumably where their name came from, given this runs but fairly close to the Grampian mountains). However, they quickly migrated further afield and by my period - the early grouping - they were fairly common on trains to Inverness. That's all I need as an excuse to model these magnificent coaches!

I will post on my Highland Miscellany thread, which I note I have not kept up to date for far too long; or my external blog. You can find these here:

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=1345&p=64040#p64040

https://highlandmiscellany.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark Tatlow

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:00 am

Right, in my kit mountain I've found a Sharman kit for a Hercules class 0-6-0 broad gauge engine.

I've found some used 5' diameter wheels. I've found some hornblocks. There could be a good motor (untested as yet). Some gears. The plan is to do it without recourse to ordering things in.

Basic spec says scratchbuilt chassis, split frames, simple compensation.

We can build him. We have the technology.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:48 am

Tim V wrote:Right, in my kit mountain I've found a Sharman kit for a Hercules class 0-6-0 broad gauge engine.

I've found some used 5' diameter wheels. I've found some hornblocks. There could be a good motor (untested as yet). Some gears. The plan is to do it without recourse to ordering things in.

<FX: Tim wanders off to garage for one of the LandRover fixing hammers...>

Cheers!
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:20 am

Tim V wrote:Right, in my kit mountain I've found a Sharman kit for a Hercules class 0-6-0 broad gauge engine.

Isn't it a bit modern for you?
Original kit had Sharman wheels of course.
You may need BGS 4ft BT wheels for the tender.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:21 am

To improve the flow of soft fruit to beleaguered supermarkets, I'm going to build banana vans. Specifically, LNWR D95 vans.
D95-banana-vans.jpg

I need a short train of these. Stage one is to make one prototype (engineering sense, I don't have room for a full-size replica when I'm stuck indoors :D ). Stage two is to multiply it up to, maybe, 10 vans in a reasonable length of time.

I want the early, simpler livery, as shown here and the left-and-right levers before they were refitted with the Morton reversing clutch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:57 pm

Guy Rixon wrote:To improve the flow of soft fruit to beleaguered supermarkets, I'm going to build banana vans. Specifically, LNWR D95 vans.
I need a short train of these. Stage one is to make one prototype (engineering sense, I don't have room for a full-size replica when I'm stuck indoors :D ). Stage two is to multiply it up to, maybe, 10 vans in a reasonable length of time.

I want the early, simpler livery, as shown here and the left-and-right levers before they were refitted with the Morton reversing clutch.

Well now, if those should become future kits.........

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:29 pm

Decision made, I'm going to take on an old CR Well Tank, an absolutely ugly beast but should be fun to tackle. So, I need this lock-down to last more than a few days.

I have an etch for most body parts - at least I hope most parts are present (seems that way other than the boiler). No fittings at all so the lathe will have to come out. No chassis, rods, or cylinder parts, but I've busied myself drawing everything up in order to make a start on the chassis side frames. Plan will be to print a template on the Silhouette Cutter and get going with the piercing saw. CSB's will be employed and the bogie sprung.

Start to 1167.jpg

Probably all a silly idea, but we are living through some sill times presently.

Lindsay

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:03 pm

Well, I wish you luck. I see it was 2001 when I disentangled the parts for this loco from the parts of two other wee tank locos with which it was mixed. I assembled the superstructure down to the footplate, but couldn't get a chimney or dome. I never started on the frames or mechanism. I always felt it was a particularly handsome wee engine. I'll look forward to seeing your progress.

Allan F

DSCN0872.JPG

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:14 pm

Some people might question the organiser entering his own Challenge, but the judge(s) can always decide to disqualify me later ;)

So, finding myself at a loose end this weekend, I'm going to have a crack at a trio of 51L unfitted iron ore hoppers to D1/163. The prospect of being able to run them on a friend's new layout, where they can be put to work on limestone traffic, has pushed them to the front of the queue (and past the Shelf of Shame :shock: )

ED9C0B9A-B794-433D-B53A-4E0B9574F1F7.jpeg

I'll try to remember to document the build as I go here

viewtopic.php?f=97&t=6854

A look through Paul Barlett's photos of this diagram indicates that there were a few variations that can be worked in.

If you've always wanted these wagons RTR then this could be your chance, as every other time I've embarked on a batch build like this...
James Dickie

My workbench

Weskie

Postby Weskie » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:30 am

Is it OK to throw my hat into the ring?
With this:-

IMG_6793.JPG

Some background.
One of our group decided we needed a bigger turntable for 'Clarendon'. Mainly because we are getting a few loco's that won't fit on the 42ft turntable that we have at the moment. One of those being my LBSCR B4, that i acquired for 25 years service at work. Now been there for 40 years, that's frightening! ( Probably should be on the shelf of shame). Anyway this box appeared on my clubroom workbench, so it looks like i'd better get building.
Andy Westcott

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:45 am

Wizard of the Moor wrote:Some people might question the organiser entering his own Challenge, but the judge(s) can always decide to disqualify me later ;)

So, finding myself at a loose end this weekend, I'm going to have a crack at a trio of 51L unfitted iron ore hoppers to D1/163. The prospect of being able to run them on a friend's new layout, where they can be put to work on limestone traffic, has pushed them to the front of the queue (and past the Shelf of Shame :shock: )

ED9C0B9A-B794-433D-B53A-4E0B9574F1F7.jpeg

I'll try to remember to document the build as I go here

viewtopic.php?f=97&t=6854

A look through Paul Barlett's photos of this diagram indicates that there were a few variations that can be worked in.

If you've always wanted these wagons RTR then this could be your chance, as every other time I've embarked on a batch build like this...

Hi James.
As part of my kit mountain, I have a batch of six of these to build for sand traffic on Brimsdown, but don't take this as an entry yet.
I have a layout to build.
Regards
Tony.
Last edited by Tony Wilkins on Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:38 am

Weskie wrote:Is it OK to throw my hat into the ring?
With this:-

IMG_6793.JPG

Some background.
One of our group decided we needed a bigger turntable for 'Clarendon'. Mainly because we are getting a few loco's that won't fit on the 42ft turntable that we have at the moment. One of those being my LBSCR B4, that i acquired for 25 years service at work. Now been there for 40 years, that's frightening! ( Probably should be on the shelf of shame). Anyway this box appeared on my clubroom workbench, so it looks like i'd better get building.

By staying up late last night, you beat me to it!

Paul Townsend

Another Turntable entry

Postby Paul Townsend » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:02 pm

Based on the LR models kit for the bridge , mine will be Broad Gauge, well mixed actually, for Dartmouth.

BS4 has the multi-talented Richard who does wood-turning for his other hobby. He has offered to do me a wooden well in a black hardwood which should be pretty stable.

The dimensions and appearance will be based on this:
WP TT 03.JPG

The excavations for CrossRail revealed this at Westbourne Park in 2014. Broad Gauge Society members were granted access to photo and measure. It is understood to be a second generation TT well from BG era which replaced an earlier and smaller one. Sadly we have no info on the TT bridge used in this well but can infer from other sites that the style of the LR bridge is appropriate for 1875, customised a bit.

It struck me as the most appropriate prototype for my Dartmouth TT.

I wasn't planning to do this for this year's exhibit at RailWells but as I now have a bit more time and the track approaches are in place......

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:46 pm

Ok - so the major allocation required for Ilkley in the late 1950s were Stanier 3Ps - so as the release of the Judith Edge etchings for it has coincided with what would be S4N it would have been rude not to order them. Being so key to the look and feel of the place, they are therefore allowed to queue jump a bit. This won't be started immediately, but I have started a topic for it as linked below.

I have bought I pair, and as covered in the topic intend to do a certain amount of batch building - but only really plan on one being completely finished initially, as covered on my workbench thread kick-off post. I've included a bit more info there than here.

So these are the parts supplied, and I also already have the wheels in stock (Ultrascale). Gearbox TBC but thinking High Level RoadRunner+

20200327_174421_small.jpg

Please see here for further info if interested:
viewtopic.php?f=135&t=6856

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:40 am

It seems this pandemic is affecting us all. On my side, Manitoba has had low numbers of infections (you might say we are socially isolated all the time - considering our geographical position and weather).

Nonetheless, the chaos has caused our hospital to change gears significantly. All my elective work is cancelled and I’ve been reduced to doing only “urgent and emergent” (very North American phrase), and trying to pursue academic activities online. Thus, I do find myself with some spare time.

The layout is moving on steadily:

8F8D880A-6E7C-45EB-9DC4-5EB9C5261C3F.jpeg

A small diversion to join the challenge would need to a smallish challenge, as my shelf of shame is more like a cupboard. One also has no idea how long this period will go on for!

I though I might offer an homage to Martin Finney. He’s been extremely kind to me, and Semley is a true inspiration. So why not a Finney designed underframe on some PO wagons...?

F52A56BE-5B90-44C7-8232-0C03D47EF0B9.jpeg

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:10 pm

I don't have any new unbuilt kits as I made an effort to clear my stocks eighteen months ago, however I do have a "shelf of shame" (in fact several!). These contain various coaches and locos which were put on hold while I was distracted building a now aborted layout.
They're mostly Edwardian Midland vehicles, with a few picnic saloons etc from "foreign" companies. I'll try and post progress as I, hopefully, work through them.

Can I just thank all the posters on here for helping to keep my spirits up during this crisis. It feels good to know there's a brother/sisterhood out there going through the same as me and finding some positives in a dreadful situation.

Keep well.

Andy
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:21 pm

I refuse to admit to having a "Shelf of Shame".

However I certainly have several " Shelves and Boxes of Embarrassment".

It would be good to reduce those but the lure of new and currnt projects wins for at least a few weeks.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:32 pm

Andy W wrote:Can I just thank all the posters on here for helping to keep my spirits up during this crisis. It feels good to know there's a brother/sisterhood out there going through the same as me and finding some positives in a dreadful situation.

Keep well.

Andy

Well said Andy, I too am finding it difficult getting through these days. Even though I'm retired and have plenty of things to occupy my time, I'm finding house arrest stifling.

However, a couple of new projects, and reading others work has lifted my spirits as well.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

timlewis

Postby timlewis » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:41 pm

So, this is my entry for this challenge. I should really be getting on with the layout, and trying to finish off the numerous projects which are already on the go, but I need very little excuse to start another wagon, so.....
20200328_151041_50pc.jpg

It's described as an LNER Lowmac-L, which indeed it is, but it's original classification was an NER Diagram A2 Machinery Wagon. Ten of them were built between 1913 and 1922, all lasting well beyond Nationalisation. Can't remember when I bought the kit, but it was a very long time ago. There are a few photos of pickup goods on the Tweed Valley line including Lowmacs, so I have some justification.

I'll start a construction thread later.

This is of course a relatively modest project, and I hope to complete many others within the (currently uncertain) timescale. Those others should really be some of the part-completed stuff (and therefore not eligible for this challenge), but who knows, if the fancy takes me I might make a second entry later.

Cheers for now, and keep safe everybody.

Triode

Postby Triode » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:06 pm

Like others, the last thing I probably need is another 'work-in-progress'; but you never know, I might actually finish this one!

My unglamorous entry will be to recreate one (possibly two) of the TTA/TTB tank wagons used for the Ciba-Geigy traffic to Hexham in the 1980s: https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/cibageigyaraldite

I have a couple of Bachmann models somewhere to serve as the basis, and plenty of etched details from various sources waiting to be used. I'd also like to fit springing to the wagons if possible, although the design of the Bachmann chassis doesn't make this easy.

Stay safe.

Liam

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:27 pm

timlewis wrote:There are a few photos of pickup goods on the Tweed Valley line including Lowmacs, so I have some justification.

Are there, Tim? I don't recall seeing any - do you have some pointers to photos? The kit looks fun!
Best,
David Addyman.

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:33 pm

I am starting a Radley models LTPB surface stock Q38 trailer kit:-

Q38_trailer_kit.jpg

Well at least I have taken a picture of what you get in the box...

Steve

andrewnummelin

Postby andrewnummelin » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:45 am

Little and Large
I should really start anything else - my shelf of shame with unstarted kits and part started projects runs to around a hundred items...
But here goes anyway! Two drawings that I've had for a very long time, one small and one large wagon with some challenges, particularly in the areas of suspension and metal working - the flat items will probably be just tedious but there are some odd shapes to make as well.
little and large 001.jpg
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

Return to “Socially Distanced Challenge”