The Socially-Distanced Challenge - Announcement thread

LesGros

Re: The Socially-Distanced Challenge - Announcement thread

Postby LesGros » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:37 pm

Commiserations Jol,

We can empathise. We have had our house turned upside down, [ ie. Feng Shite] in preparation for a complete new heating system, plus umpteen radiators, due for installation tomorrow, postponed yesterday, until further notice. :(

The main problem is knowing where things are, there is not much labeling because "it would all be sorted into good order, and put away sensibly within a few days".

Still, it is not as if there will be shortage of time to carry out an inventory; man-cave awaits ...

Best wishes,
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:19 pm

Mike Garwood wrote:
PeteT wrote:
Mike Garwood wrote:'shelf of shame'

That's a brilliant name for it!

Maybe we should have a secondary competition (the wooden spoon?) for the project longest in gestation which makes it over the finish line.

Well, I'll start the bidding at 10 years. For just one chassis.

barhamd wrote:I think my box of 25 unbuilt Parkside/Cambrian/RedPanda kits has a degree of shame attached. You can tell from the prices that some of them have been there for a long, long, time.
David
IMG_7884a.jpg

DJH BR Std.5 chassis built up to "rolling" stage, initially with Pendlenton-type leaf spring arrangement. That was 1991. Bloody spring tails kept dropping out of the adjustable grub screws. No real progress since, especially as new suspension techniques kept on coming up over the years.

In terms of the "stack of shame" I think I can outdo all of you...... :mrgreen: .....and it's stacks of shame, BTW
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:31 pm

Horsetan wrote:DJH BR Std.5 chassis built up to "rolling" stage, initially with Pendlenton-type leaf spring arrangement. That was 1991. Bloody spring tails kept dropping out of the adjustable grub screws. No real progress since, especially as new suspension techniques kept on coming up over the years.

In terms of the "stack of shame" I think I can outdo all of you...... :mrgreen: .....and it's stacks of shame, BTW

I built a chassis about the same time using that method, it worked - perhaps you need the tails a little longer, or the bit of bent fulcrum a bit tighter. Why not fish it out and finish it? A fresh pair of eyes and all that - could be an article for the News in there as well :D
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:19 pm

Tim V wrote:....Why not fish it out and finish it? A fresh pair of eyes and all that ...

Trouble is, nowadays there's a much better Std.5 chassis from Comet which doesn't require the thickness of armour-plating, and obviously CSBs are much more the thing, no?

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:34 pm

It's a challenge Horse ...
Tim V

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:21 pm

Tim V wrote:It's a challenge Horse ...

Talking of which... I presume your horse will be the 2nd entry once you've completed the broad gauge excursion?

For Mr Horse, of course moving to the Comet chassis makes it a new project and so can be entered.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:18 pm

PeteT wrote:.... I presume your horse will be the 2nd entry ....

He's already complete and mobile....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:30 pm

Horsetan wrote:He's already complete and mobile....

That first line was aimed at EditorTim. If you have any suggestions for Tim to scale it down to 4mm, I'm sure he will be most grateful!

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:34 pm

PeteT wrote:
Horsetan wrote:He's already complete and mobile....

That first line was aimed at EditorTim. If you have any suggestions for Tim to scale it down to 4mm, I'm sure he will be most grateful!

I have actually canvassed this possibility with ModelU, but they don't think a horse would stand long enough to produce a viable 3D scan....

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:18 pm

Horsetan wrote:I have actually canvassed this possibility with ModelU, but they don't think a horse would stand long enough to produce a viable 3D scan....

I've asked him as well, he may have a cunning plan ...
Tim V

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:15 pm

My friend's horse will stand, but he's in Ceredigion, so not exactly easy to reach....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:21 am

Bit of a difference here Jol, Builders are seen as an essential service..(bugger I was hoping some time at home to do some modelling :evil: ) Yep every Australian Builder is getting on with the job...even the Union and the Master Builders Association are agreeing (did I hear that Hell had frozen over again?) Every time (every day) I am onsite at least one person asks when we are shutting down to my response "No, we are not ^&*#ing shutting down... get back to work we need this finished"
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:19 am

I think the problem is that some building work requires too-close proximity of workers for safety.

Employers have a duty of care; some are more diligent than others.

It does provide the idea to model a cameo comparison between building sites; a commentary on these turbulent times.
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

jon price

Postby jon price » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:51 am

I think horses (or sleeping cats) are the most likely to stand still for scanning. The ones outside horseguards, and police horses seem to do it pretty well.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:45 am

jon price wrote:I think horses (or sleeping cats) are the most likely to stand still for scanning. The ones outside horseguards, and police horses seem to do it pretty well.

That's because they've been trained to stand still, more or less, and the rider is influencing them. Even then, if you watch, they are never entirely still; the head moves, and sometimes the feet, even if the horse doesn't suddenly decide to play up. Tim's tramway horse, of course, would have neither rider or saddle, but would have a collar and be pulling a load, not standing still...
Regards
Noel

barhamd

Postby barhamd » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:51 am

There are a few nice horses on the thingiverse. What about https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2785163
David

Return to “Socially Distanced Challenge”