Class 25

What individual members are up to.
Roomey

Class 25

Postby Roomey » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:58 pm

With there not being really good class 25 out there I took the plunge and Rebuilt a SLW 24 into a 25/0 then followed it up with a 25/1
Now I decided to convert a Hornby 25 body and graft it too a SLW chassis
This is what I’ve done so far
Replaced the side grilles with 3D printed version modified the cab areas and doors, new fan grille and roof panels
Chassis tanks modified
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hardwicke

Re: Class 25

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:40 pm

Apart from the central window (which I always felt was a tad small and too high) the Hornby body is very good. I carefully enlarged the window downwards and made both a 24 and 25. I added new doors too.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

triumph3

Postby triumph3 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:11 pm

Excellent work Dave. It also gets rid of the awfull radiator grill on the SLW body. For the life of me I don’t understand why they have not replaced the grill.

David

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:36 pm

Hardwicke wrote:Apart from the central window (which I always felt was a tad small and too high) the Hornby body is very good. I carefully enlarged the window downwards and made both a 24 and 25. I added new doors too.

It is too small so enlarging it downwards is the way to go. It’s not too high, the problem is the top of the doors is too low.
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:31 pm

triumph3 wrote:.... the awful radiator grill on the SLW body. For the life of me I don’t understand why they have not replaced the grill

Possibly because retooling is expensive and the thing hasn't started turning a decent profit yet?
That would be an ecumenical matter.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:44 pm

Horsetan wrote:
Possibly because retooling is expensive and the thing hasn't started turning a decent profit yet?

Wouldn’t need a retool it a new photo tool which costs next to nothing, in the grand scheme of things. ISTR Phil had a new etch ages ago and it appears the most recent release might have better grills, it certainly has improved windows.
Jim Smith-Wright

kelly

Postby kelly » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:50 am

The newest releases (97201) have better windows and new grilles. The windows are to be made available to owners of older models for upgrading if they wish iirc.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:36 pm

jim s-w wrote:
Hardwicke wrote:Apart from the central window (which I always felt was a tad small and too high) the Hornby body is very good. I carefully enlarged the window downwards and made both a 24 and 25. I added new doors too.

It is too small so enlarging it downwards is the way to go. It’s not too high, the problem is the top of the doors is too low.

Thanks Jim. I'll find my loco sometime for a picture. Yes, you are right.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Roomey

Postby Roomey » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:33 pm

A few more pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:55 pm

kelly wrote:The newest releases (97201) have better windows and new grilles. The windows are to be made available to owners of older models for upgrading if they wish iirc.

So basically the bits some people were insistent I was wrong for saying could be better, have been made better then? :twisted: :twisted:
Jim Smith-Wright

Return to “On My Workbench”