Coach gangway connectors

What individual members are up to.
ben mason

Coach gangway connectors

Postby ben mason » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:57 pm

I have a pair of Falcon brass LSWR gate stock coaches on my workbench. They have gone together nicely and I'm starting to paint. A couple of things would improve the final result, one being the seats which may need to be scratch built following a plasticard technique which I have used before, unless I can find a better way. I have found a 3d print on Shapeways but it's only available in 7mm scale and rather expensive! I can't justify spending that much as once the roof is on they won't be very noticeable, as long as they are represented.
The other thing, which is probably more important, is a representation of the gangway connectors. I'm not too happy with the kits I have seen on eBay, partly because the gate stock connectors seemed to have been rather smaller than standard. Does anyone know of any articles written in the archive or advice to help with constructing these items? Also if any of our wonderful tradesmen have approached the subject. Thanks from Ben Mason

wakefield

Re: Coach gangway connectors

Postby wakefield » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:49 pm

Hello Ben.
I am not familiar with the LSWR gate stock, but looking at photographs they seem to have BSG scissors gangways. Michael Clark of Masokits produces a range of BSG gangways.
They are a little fiddly but make an excellent gangway.
Hope this may help.
Mike Wakefield.

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:57 pm

Roxey Mouldings produce etched scissors gangways, presumably intended for their own GWR, LSWR and LBSCR corridor coach kits, amongst others. Given that these were, as previously mentioned, British Standard Gangways, there seems to be no obvious reason why the gate stock would have had something different to what the LSWR normally used.

So far as seats are concerned, several UK coach kit manufacturers have generic coach seats in their ranges.
Regards
Noel

bevis

Postby bevis » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:36 pm

Here are a few shots of the Masokits gangway as fitted to my Ironclad brake. The brake end is latched closed and the other open. They are fiddly but worth it, connect to each other if required and they perform well over crossovers. I think the look is worth the effort compared to the Branchlines version which comes in the detailing kit used for the coach.
I have no other connection (sorry couldn't resist the pun) with Masokits than being a satisfied customer.
Bevis

P8019572.JPG
P8019550.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:37 pm

Hi Ben

Have you considered contacting Kernow Model Rail Centre to see if they do spare parts from their LSWR Gate Stock?

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg ... Gate-Stock

Good luck

Steve
Steve Carter

ben mason

Postby ben mason » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:00 pm

Thanks for the replies, especially the photos, I will have a go at the Masokits gangways.

bevis

Postby bevis » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:43 pm

Have fun Ben but do stick to the instructions and read them at least twice or you may end up with problems (Yes, you know how I know that!)
Bevis

Return to “On My Workbench”