BR Snow Plough - Hurst Models Kit

What individual members are up to.
garethevans1986

BR Snow Plough - Hurst Models Kit

Postby garethevans1986 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:01 am

So I won the Hurst Models Snow Plough kit on ebay and decided to give it a go as the construction looked pretty straight forward.

I start it on a Sunday and had it to this point by the Thursday evening, that includes getting the springing working too!

It has 00 wheels in for now but will have P4 wheels in soon enough. Still some work to go on it.

IMG_20190709_232147.jpg

IMG_20190711_232031.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gareth O. Evans
IT Consultant/Director of Web46 IT Solutions
Croes Newydd Yard

Diesel Crank

tmcsean

Re: BR Snow Plough - Hurst Models Kit

Postby tmcsean » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:07 pm

I built a couple of them not long after they came on the market. They went together reasonably well, but I found two areas of difficulty.

The first and more painful was that I found there was a huge gap at top corners of the plough blades were supposed to meet the front of the cab. I tried all sorts of remedies but in the end soldered in a little brass sheet behind, blobbed in a load of lower temperature solder and then spent half a lifetime blobbing in solder and sanding, priming, sanding, priming until eventually it looked like it should. This may be me mucking it up, but if there is a better way of filling the chasm I didn't find it.

The second thing was the paint job. I was determined to have elaborate wasp stripes which meant at the time doing it myself. After a lot of misfires I eventually printed black stripe transfers on a photocopier and sprayed them with what we used instead of Dullcote in those days, putting them on by eye and touching up the places where the toner still fell off. The paintwork generally was a nightmare - what the photos show is the 5th complete or partial repaint. I'm still not happy but there comes a point . . .

They float down the track like a silent hovercraft, but that's because Ted Scannell got interested in the springing set up and set it up properly,

The other unit is marked BILL, which is in period if not strictly correct.

Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

garethevans1986

Postby garethevans1986 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:53 pm

Thanks for sharing your photos Tony!

I have some gaps between the back of the nose and cab roof too, ill grab some pics the next time im near it to show but it's taken some fettling to get "right" or as near as I canget it. From the photos I have of the prototype that im making, the cab and plough roofs are straight and level which is why it took some fettling to get right. I've not soldered the nose on yet

Prototype - https://www.flickr.com/photos/afc45014/34719209261/

Front View - https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/snowplough/e31adc6c3

How did you sort the springing out? In the kit there were some nickle silver (?) bits but they wouldnt fit in the holes in the side frames so I used some modified Bill Bedford carrier units and guitar wire in the end. Any issues with the wheels going round tight corners at all too?

Did you have gaps around the read of the body too?

Over all it's not a bad kit but not as well designed as the Rumney Models kits IMHO.

I've not quite got to painting yet but it'll be painted and weathered as the Prototype above.

Gareth
Gareth O. Evans
Croes Newydd Yard

Diesel Crank

tmcsean

Postby tmcsean » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:29 pm

Springing: The limit of my abilities was to get the wheels going round reasonable freely. Ted just took them off to his workbench and in what seemed like seconds everything was perfect. I think chassis just see him coming and mutter to themselves that its time to sit up and face front.

Tony

garethevans1986

Postby garethevans1986 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:36 am

tmcsean wrote:Springing: The limit of my abilities was to get the wheels going round reasonable freely. Ted just took them off to his workbench and in what seemed like seconds everything was perfect. I think chassis just see him coming and mutter to themselves that its time to sit up and face front.
Tony

:D Brilliant!
Gareth O. Evans
Croes Newydd Yard

Diesel Crank

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:51 am

Over all it's not a bad kit but not as well designed as the Rumney Models kits IMHO.

It must pre-date Justin’s efforts by a couple of decades mind you.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Return to “On My Workbench”