My plank so far...

What individual members are up to.
Bellerophon

My plank so far...

Postby Bellerophon » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:35 pm

If only to prove to myself that I have made some progress over the last couple of years! My first effort in P4 but still a long way to go. It's all wired up for analogue but I bought an NCE Powercab and have so far chipped two locos. Probably going to be a steep learning curve. Fiddleyards/cassette boards to add, which will make it 21ft. Household authorities have already questioned, "..where is it going to go?". Next installment will probably be in another couple of years!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DougN

Re: My plank so far...

Postby DougN » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:44 pm

Looks great to me. :thumb

I too have started again on building a p4 layout which will be about the same length with fiddle yards, though I have been thinking of making train turntables about a meter long. These will pivot on lazy Susan ball raced parts from Bunnings. I had to go digging for them but eventually found them on a shelf covered in dust. I have thought to keep the overall profile low and light of the pivot, the board the track will be laid on, and 2 lengths of aluminium angle so say 50x50 along the sides to act as walls and allow somewhere for a gate to pivot from at the ends. I guess this has just about solidified in my mind so I really should get on and build them!

All the best and great work.

Doug
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:15 pm

Looks good. The long thin layout brings back memories of the Mid-Sussex group's first successful layout, West Chiltington which had four baseboards totalling 16 feet long and one foot wide with a turntable type fiddle yard at each end. The layout was constructed between 1979 and 1984 and is going strong albeit being updated in the period represented.

Bellerophon wrote:Household authorities have already questioned, "..where is it going to go?".

One solution is to make some boxes for the baseboards to slide into. The last part of my series on baseboard construction, in Scalefour News 177 showed the type of carry case box designed for West Chiltington. The issue is of course available on the web site for those who do not have a hard copy. Four boxes, each holding one board could be stacked on top of each other with the fiddle yards on top of the boxes meaning that the whole layout needed a foot print of just over four feet x one foot to store it in. That garden shed in the background looks just about the right sort of size. :)

Terry Bendall

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:00 am

Some very impressive buildings, and nice to see the point rodding modelled. I assume that the necessary alterations to the box are on the 'to do' list. Do you intend to have a backscene, or scenic boards to extend the width? If not, I would worry about stock on the back siding between the box and the goods shed; it looks close enough to the edge for stock to fall off, and if it can, it will, sooner or later.
Regards
Noel

Bellerophon

Postby Bellerophon » Mon May 11, 2020 5:58 pm

Made a bit more progress. This was at the beginning of lockdown when I was allowed to test run the SLW class 24.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “On My Workbench”