Scalescenes Industrial Box File Layout

What individual members are up to.
Matt Harris

Scalescenes Industrial Box File Layout

Postby Matt Harris » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:50 pm

With the purpose of, hopefully, spurring me on to actually complete something, I've started to work on a P4 version of the Scalescenes Industrial Box File Layout.

So far, I've prepared the box file itself and have worked out a suitable trackplan.

Here's the boxfile that I started with:

BoxFile.jpg

And after removal of the clips etc. from the inside, cut-out of the side entrance and installation of underlay:

CutoutsWithUnderlay.jpg

For the underlay, I've used some foam underlay bought many years ago from IKEA that is meant for use with their laminate flooring.

Lastly, the trackplan:

Trackplan.jpg

Intention is to have a short sector plate attached on the right-hand side.

There's not a lot of room inside the box file for too much - the pointwork is following the rough geometry of the Peco Small Radius Y so that will limit what can run - no big mainline locos on this :D

As a result, there is a Judith Edge Ruston & Hornsby 48DS kit to build along with some Parkside wagons to complete the diorama.

Progress may well be rather glacial, so don't hold your breath...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt H

CornCrake

Re: Scalescenes Industrial Box File Layout

Postby CornCrake » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:11 pm

Admirable excuse for a new loco kit!

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:04 pm

I have been following other attempts at this - prompted by a discussion of industrial building colours in the 1950s - but have been disappointed to see very few, if any, attempts at properly 'inset' track. It would be nice if that were about to change ... ;) ;) ;)
David L-T

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:52 pm

The Scalescenes item says "00 only" :D :D
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:03 pm

It would be a place to run my 48DS and Husky though !
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:26 am

Matt,

You may find this useful when the time comes to build the Ruston https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... ent-673977

Cheers,

David

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:37 pm

Matt Harris wrote:With the purpose of, hopefully, spurring me on to actually complete something, I've started to work on a P4 version of the Scalescenes

Good project, I've suggested this to certain members of the Bristol group who never finish anything :D
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:24 pm

Tim V wrote:
Matt Harris wrote:With the purpose of, hopefully, spurring me on to actually complete something, I've started to work on a P4 version of the Scalescenes

Good project, I've suggested this to certain members of the Bristol group who never finish anything :D

It's not just the Bristol group who never finish anything - this applies to at least 95 per cent of us. I have boxes and boxes of part-built models, and the Burford Branch is only half-finished 40 years after the project was first conceived. (And don't mention the European Kit Mountain of models that haven't even been started, and probably never will be.)

Matt Harris

Postby Matt Harris » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:42 pm

I must say that I'm rather taken aback by the interest in my little project - this is certainly spurring me on; thanks.

Onto some of the items raised:
dal-t wrote:I have been following other attempts at this ... but have been disappointed to see very few, if any, attempts at properly 'inset' track. It would be nice if that were about to change ... ;) ;) ;)

Well, that sounds like a bit of a challenge - perhaps we could consider that the gauntlet has been suitably laid down? ;)

My initial plan was to fully enclose all trackwork with the card & printed inlays, which does deviate a bit from the instructions as Scalescenes suggest limiting the extent of the inlaid track to just the plain-track areas and forming a ballasted area around any pointwork. However, I may well now do something with the pack of DAS clay I've just bought...

Hardwicke wrote:The Scalescenes item says "00 only" :D :D

That it does, and it may well not be the only place where I deviate from the instructions (see above) :D

CornCrake wrote:Admirable excuse for a new loco kit!

Yes it is. Not that we really need excuses for new kits do we?

And thanks, also, to David Knight for the useful link - hadn't seen that write-up before.

What I like about this kit is that it's pretty much complete with wheels, motor, gearbox, sprung buffers etc. The only thing that I seem to need is some 1mm diameter rod to use in the gearbox construction. Maybe that's a packing error or maybe they all come like that. Anyhow, not a problem as I procured some 1mm diameter brass rod.

Onto progress, just to prove to Martin and Tim that I've actually been doing something.

The majority of the turnout timbers have now been riveted (using rivets and sleepering purchased 15+ years ago :o from the EMGS) and the vee formed. It's a 1:3 vee - template made with 2mm card offcuts. Given the rather large angle, I thought best to fill with additional solder to give some added strength.
VeeTemplateAndCrossing.jpg

As can be seen, I've also formed wing, check and closure rails.

Vee and Wing rails are soldered in-place as per the following cruel closeup:
Crossing.jpg

Now much of this is second nature to many of you but these are the first I've made from scratch. Also, with them being inlaid will cover up any multitude of sins, such as some of the less than tidy soldering and scorch marks from holding the iron in-place a bit too long :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt H

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:14 pm

I've (had to) build quite a few Scalescenes kits and bespoke buildings using their excellent 'Builders Yard' section for our Club 00 layout, :o :x :x and I have been rather impressed by the quality of the kits and their overall design. It all boils down to the quality of your printer output and I (having retired from a place of work where I had access to a hi-def laser printer :( ) now get mine printed by a local print shop. Its worth the cost to have top notch prints on good quality paper to start with.

I hadn't seen this Scalescenes project till now and I must say I am rather taken with it! looking forward to seeing progress :thumb

Steve

Return to “On My Workbench”