Berrington and Eye

What individual members are up to.
petermeyer

Berrington and Eye

Postby petermeyer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:19 pm

Having posted in praise of the wrap function in Templot, I thought it might be an idea to post my own experience as I am literally building the layout onto a blow-up of an old O/S map and thought this could be a first.

Berrington and Eye was a small station on the North to West GWR/LNWR joint line. This is the plan showing the O/S map wrapped around the track plan

plan.jpg

And these are templates that I made therefrom to make the baseboards...

Templates.jpg

…and the baseboards subsequently built

baseboards.jpg

A fuller blow-by-blow is on RMWeb but if there is demand for me to elaborate here, I can.

Another member on RMWeb who lives/works nearby kindly offered to measure the station building (which is now in private ownership) and produced some wonderful scale drawings. I’ve overlaid the building footprint drawing over the O/S map and this shows how accurate the whole is.

IMG_1705.jpg

And as can be seen, the track is now also down...

petermeyer

Re: Berrington and Eye

Postby petermeyer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:54 pm

Baseboards5.jpg
Baseboards5.jpg (81.02 KiB) Viewed 795 times

This closer perspective probably displays the detail better. This is the centre and southern boards (of only 3) facing towards Hereford. On the right is the up platform followed by the signal box and then an embankment upon which is the up home signal. On the left in the yard is a dock. I have concluded that behind it is not a railway but an agricultural building but beyond is a plate layers hut next to the down entry into the yard.

This being a joint line, the track was under the management of the LNWR till around 1907/1908 at which point the GWR took over. Evidence that the GWR had a gang at Berrington and Eye is in that one of their number was killed in WW1 as is commemorated on the plaque at Chester.

G_Vaughan_packer copy.jpg
G_Vaughan_packer copy.jpg (16.66 KiB) Viewed 795 times

I built the track to LNWR spec on the basis that the GWR might not have replaced it all by 1912. But if anyone has evidence to the contrary, please let me know.

This is a shot from the opposite end of the baseboard with the track laid:

image3.jpg

martinm

Postby martinm » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:19 pm

On the left in the yard is a dock. I have concluded that behind it is not a railway but an agricultural building but beyond is a plate layers hut next to the down entry into the yard.

Hi there,

Given that the plan doesn't show any boundary to the yard, I'd suggest that what is shown is a weighbridge and office. They are often near to the exit, but their location can vary quite considerably.

regards,

martin

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:19 pm

Thanks Martin

I don't have the width to get in the whole yard so it has to be cropped but I should be able to include the weighbridge and office. I was referring to the building next to the dock (circled):

map_withTrack.jpg

I think on the following image you can just see some livestock in the enclosure behind the dock and I am pretty sure it is some agricultural building/shelter.

Berringtonandeye013.jpg

The dock is interesting too as it does not have any railings trackside.

The location of the shack has also moved compared with the map and on some maps it's not there at all! So on that basis I probably won't include it.

Unknown.jpg

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:27 pm

I wonder whether the dock enclosure was not treated as forming part of the railway estate - the tye marks on the ordnance plans suggest that it was not. The area of the railway land seems to have diminished somewhat over the years, as it's shown as 7.932 acres on the 1928 edition of the plan.

Perhaps the shack was a provender store for animals in transit?

martinm

Postby martinm » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:14 pm

[quoteThe dock is interesting too as it does not have any railings trackside.[/quote]
Sorry, I misunderstood your text.
I don't think it's a cattle dock in the normal sense - it appears to have no 'rear' fence either and is separated from the yard by a gate. That might suggest that the cattle came in from the adjacent field? Or is that a wall?
The shed is away from the 'dock' fence, well away from the gate on its side.
Don't know if that helps?

regards,

martin

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:50 am

I have wondered whether the dock was initially for the loading and unloading of carriages and horses. It has quite a substantial ramp in the maps.

The line was built, in the 1850's, on land owned by the then occupants of Berrington Hall (now National Trust). A condition was that they had their own waiting room in the station building. The station was for their personal use and was initially called just Berrington. I thought perhaps it was another condition that they had a loading facility for their carriages.

Herewith a photo of the station in c1905. This was supplied as a photocopy by the current occupant who found it in an old album of the old Vicar of Eye Church at the time. This shot is before the booking hall and waiting room was added and the early platform has not been raised but it has been extended beyond the bridge. Behind the station you can just make out some wagons which shows how close the siding was to the station building.

Berringtonandeye_c1905.jpg

Return to “On My Workbench”