Lampeter Station building

What individual members are up to.
JackBlack

Lampeter Station building

Postby JackBlack » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi folks,

This has been my "at home" project for the last three or four months. It's a model of Lampeter Station building, that will eventually be part of my embryonic Lampeter Station model railway.

The station building grew in length over the years and the model represents how it looked in the final years, post 30's. The model is made using plasticard and Wills stone sections, over a frame of 3mm foamboard.

I have just finished the roof which is 1mm plasticard covered with Scalelink etched tile strips, which while not cheap, are nice to work with and I think they look good in terms of scale thickness, they're also pretty rigid. I tried soldering them to start with, but then just ended up sticking them (and my fingers) down with superglue, and as yet no problems.

P1060526.jpg

P1060527.jpg

P1060528.jpg

P1060529.jpg

P1060530.jpg

And a reminder of how the original looked...

20021201.JPG

I have ordered guttering from Eileen's Emporium, which is the next job, as well as fitting all the sash windows (Brassmasters) and doors.

I'll will post more progress soon...

Cheers, Nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nick Allport
CLAG

Le Corbusier

Re: Lampeter Station building

Postby Le Corbusier » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:29 pm

To my eye that roof is looking great Nick :thumb

Out of interest ... what decision did you come to about the gable end in the foreground of the picture?

Tim
Tim Lee

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:44 pm

HI Nick,

The building looks good! You probably know already, but the goods shed still remains at Lampeter. Let me know if you need any pictures of it, as I am at Lampeter university quite often. (The old St David's college building can be seen in the top right corner of the view of Lampeter station.)

All the best,

Colin

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:48 pm

Le Corbusier wrote:Out of interest ... what decision did you come to about the gable end in the foreground of the picture?

I couldn't figure out what it was so I chose to ignore it!

Nick Allport
CLAG

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:51 pm

Colin Parks wrote:The building looks good! You probably know already, but the goods shed still remains at Lampeter. Let me know if you need any pictures of it, as I am at Lampeter university quite often. (The old St David's college building can be seen in the top right corner of the view of Lampeter station.)

Ah really? I often "visit" on Google Maps/Streetview. Is Conti's still there?

I have built some of the goods shed, but I wasn't happy with the roof. But now I've discovered the Scalelink tiles I will have another go. Need to save up a bit first!

Nick Allport
CLAG

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:12 pm

JackBlack wrote:
Colin Parks wrote:The building looks good! You probably know already, but the goods shed still remains at Lampeter. Let me know if you need any pictures of it, as I am at Lampeter university quite often. (The old St David's college building can be seen in the top right corner of the view of Lampeter station.)

Ah really? I often "visit" on Google Maps/Streetview. Is Conti's still there?

I have built some of the goods shed, but I wasn't happy with the roof. But now I've discovered the Scalelink tiles I will have another go. Need to save up a bit first!

Hi Nick,

Yes, Conti's cafe is still going strong, though it has recently had a 'modern' makeover!

Colin

dave_long

Postby dave_long » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:48 pm

Looks very good so far, the tiles do look good. I graduated from Lampeter back in 2001 and lived on station terrace for a year. Wandered around the goods area a few times and a long parts of the old line towards felinfach.

David B

Postby David B » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:39 pm

It looks great, Nick. You mention getting guttering from Eileen's. Are you aware of these downpipe fittings from Modelu which are just becoming available? They can be used with either plastic or brass rod.

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:00 pm

dave_long wrote:Looks very good so far, the tiles do look good. I graduated from Lampeter back in 2001 and lived on station terrace for a year. Wandered around the goods area a few times and a long parts of the old line towards felinfach.

The last time I was there was 2008 and I was staggered at how little the place had changed since the 70's and 80's. I miss it though, it was a wonderful place to grow up. One of my friends at school, his parents owned a music shop at the end of Station Terrace, on the corner with North Road.

Nick Allport
CLAG

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:03 pm

David B wrote:It looks great, Nick. You mention getting guttering from Eileen's. Are you aware of these downpipe fittings from Modelu which are just becoming available? They can be used with either plastic or brass rod.

Ah thanks! I had bought some Ratio guttering and bits and pieces from Scalelink but it all looks really over scale to me, hence ordering the Eileen's stuff. These fittings look perfect to go with that.

Nick Allport
CLAG

Return to “On My Workbench”