Wemyss Private Railway - Scott's Road - Allan Goodwillie

What individual members are up to.
Allan Goodwillie

Re: Wemyss Private Railway - Scott's Road - Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:24 am

Hi Tim, :)

just finishing one or two things off - I had not forgotten that you asked me whether I made drawings/sketches etc. before building anything. With the wiring I tend not to as often when wiring up some things I have found need to be sorted out on site as it were, so wiring is planned as systems and the coloured wire and thickness of wire decided early on for whatever is being built. I have not entirely made my mind up yet whether to go DCC or not due to the costs involved as it is perfectly possible to get good slow running etc. without it but sound etc. might be fun to do and the pleasure factor is what sometimes motivates me so I have used heavier wire for track power which allows me to go down this route if I finally decide what to do. I do avoid using single strand wire in exhibition layouts even for low voltage circuits like lighting for the buildings. I have had a few unfortunate experiences with broken wires over the years and try to avoid it now. If you are interested I am using 24 strand/0.2 wire for the track power and 16 strand/0.2 wire for my point and signal power and may go down to 7 strand for my wiring for building lights and situation sound.

I have used different coloured feeds for different areas as I intend having the layout sectioned even when I may go DCC otherwise if there is a fault it does help track down where it is. I had a friend who had taken out all his track sections before a show and joined everything up going DCC and suffered a complete failure at a show which was not resolved until he returned home. Particularly important if you have a number of operators running a large system. You don't want one person causing a short which will knock out what everyone else is busy doing. So putting cut outs in each section helps with this problem.

As for the buildings, I do often draw them up and enjoy doing that the old fashioned way using a drawing board and pencils etc. I attach a photograph of the drawing for the water tank. It is not a scan , just a photo, as I hope maybe to have an article published some time on the layout but happy to show you the drawing in this form. Sorry the photo is not particularly good as it was taken last night in not very good lighting conditions :( , but does give you an idea. Remember that all drawings are just a plan and subject to alteration, and so they should be as reality steps in and you have to accept some alteration from the original concept and that applies to everything. Wiring changes for example should be recorded as they are made otherwise the original plan becomes less distinct as time goes by and incomprehensible to someone new to the system.

Hope this is useful Tim. :)

DSC02907.JPG

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:55 pm

Hi Allan,
Those drawings are a work of art. Do you intend to frame them. They would be a good feature to display when exhibiting the layout. (Forgive me if you already do such things.)

All the best,

Colin

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:40 am

Hi Colin, :)

Thanks for the complement, I am afraid the photograph is not particularly good, but I do enjoy making drawings in a hand crafted way.

I did display them when we were at Glasgow along with photographs of the real thing as part of the overall display of layout construction. When the layout is finally displayed and up working they will be included as part of the overall display panels which will surround the layout. I have a rather unusual approach intended for this which will be seen as progress is made towards finishing the project. Remember this layout is designed for all round viewing, which is not the way we see most layouts. :)

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:55 pm

Allan Goodwillie wrote:Hi Colin, :)

Thanks for the complement, I am afraid the photograph is not particularly good, but I do enjoy making drawings in a hand crafted way.

I did display them when we were at Glasgow along with photographs of the real thing as part of the overall display of layout construction. When the layout is finally displayed and up working they will be included as part of the overall display panels which will surround the layout. I have a rather unusual approach intended for this which will be seen as progress is made towards finishing the project. Remember this layout is designed for all round viewing, which is not the way we see most layouts. :)

Allan,

You are tempting me to dust off my Mayline and clean the watercolours off! ;) ... but then again when I finally get around to drafting up the Monsaldale Station CAD will allow me to print multiple accurate copies for aid with construction :) ... though I am still tempted - I could even go for a sedimentary wash sky a la Farey. :D
Tim Lee

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:19 pm

Hi Tim,
these things do have their pleasures, but you are right about a computer drawing, but I can scan my drawings and they are still available that way. It is the personal finish which I like as we see so much that is generated by computers these days. I am busy working on my building for the blacksmiths shop for Burntisland this week - just painting the stonework. I really enjoy the painting stage. Might post a couple of photographs when I get finished. Spent an hour digging snow to be able to get the layout out tomorrow for pick up as we are route learning this weekend before the next exhibition - Railex. :)

I am looking forward to going as I had to miss out the trip to Southampton at the start of the year as I was trying to get my own layout ready for Glasgow. :)

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:41 pm

Allan Goodwillie wrote:Hi Tim,
these things do have their pleasures, but you are right about a computer drawing, but I can scan my drawings and they are still available that way. It is the personal finish which I like as we see so much that is generated by computers these days. I am busy working on my building for the blacksmiths shop for Burntisland this week - just painting the stonework. I really enjoy the painting stage. Might post a couple of photographs when I get finished. Spent an hour digging snow to be able to get the layout out tomorrow for pick up as we are route learning this weekend before the next exhibition - Railex. :)

I am looking forward to going as I had to miss out the trip to Southampton at the start of the year as I was trying to get my own layout ready for Glasgow. :)

Allan,

If you are happy to wait ... perhaps I could drop off your bending tool at Railex ... really looking forward to seeing Burntisland in the flesh :thumb
Tim Lee

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:26 am

Hi Tim, :)

Yes that will be more than fine - I will look forward to seeing you again. Hope the tool has been of some use to you. Remember the washers that go with it - people always forget when they return the item!

Looking forward to seeing your buffer stops. - Might be useful to bend a few more for future use.

Allan :)

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:03 pm

Having had a week after Scalefour North just doing things other than model railway - re-assembling Dave's greenhouse,and working in the garden, it has given me time to breath and perhaps contemplate the next move on the railway.

Scalefour North was very interesting in that I was surprised just how many have been following the thread and who came along with interesting questions. I am sorry if anyone came along and it just so happened I was due to go to lunch- half past two on both days! Big apologies, I was hoping Tim, that I could have managed to spend some more time with you just finding out how you were progressing - I should manage this when we bring down Burntisland to Railex. Pressure on the stand was continuous throughout the two days. I only managed to see one train run and that was on Pulborough - which was looking splendid. 5 minutes late Saturday - I have been told that the exhibition was excellent!

The most recent work on my workbench is my contribution of the blacksmith's shop, to the Burntisland buildings. We had a group painting session the previous weekend. I still have a few details to add, but progress to the building goes on as does the work of the others involved in making theirs. We are all under pressure now to have everything finished for Railex. The chimney is made of wood and the bricks are paper "chads" glued on. The down pipes and guttering are still needing fitting.

I was asked at the weekend by quite a few that were at the show, what progress I had made with the blacksmith's shop, so here are a few more pictures.

DSC03003.JPG
The clean side of the building away from all the blacksmith's chimneys.

DSC03010.JPG
The dark side of the building showing a considerable amount of dirt, eventually the real buildings were black.

DSC03014.JPG
A close up of the building, showing the texture of the stone. It is also noticeable that some of the stone chimneys are not entirely vertical, this seems to have been a problem with the building and eventually some of the chimneys were taken down. The opposite side of the building ended up with similar chimneys being built in brick, but I am not sure at what date this happened - this was likely to have been later than 1883

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:26 pm

Hi Allan,

I like the look of your model of the blacksmiths' shop. The fact that you even modelled the leaning chimneys is most impressive!

All the best,

Colin

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:31 am

Thanks Colin :)

Everything ages and buildings can show instability as the years go on. For some reason the outer ones were the first to go, although others were showing signs from early on. Just exactly when the end ones were taken down I do not know, but clearly they had become unsafe. At a later date another complete set of blacksmith's forges was build down the opposite side of the building. This time they were made using brick which would be lighter. This happened at some point in the history of the building, but at a later date than we are modelling. I would really like to know when the changes came about. Anyone out there know?

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:13 pm

It has been some time since I posted anything about progress and some must have wondered whether I was still on the planet. I have been busy writing another children's book and will also have to take time off this year to do the illustrations, but hope to continue on with my Wemyss Layout. The last item being discussed was the construction of the blacksmith's shop on Burntisland. We are going to be at Ally Pally soon with the layout and most of the final stage is visually complete at this stage including the shed area buildings. I was asked by Lindsay and Chris to run a short course covering the painting of the buildings so that everyone could get a similar outcome, so the buildings looked as if they had been all built at the same time and survived the same conditions of weather and stain. I was at the Linlithgow bash yesterday on a demo stand, looking at weathering and painting buildings including the blacksmith's shop and the smaller buildings for the Wemyss layout, including the water tank.

It struck me that the presentation I made up might be of interest to others building stone buildings so I am attaching it here for anyone to follow the techniques. The actual construction techniques and use of materials I am sure will be covered sometime by Lindsay who has made a superb model of the Engine shed and as I am sure it will be covered somewhere in time, I would not want to detract from the article when it eventually appears in the press, which it thoroughly deserves to do. I might also mention the efforts by the other members of the group who deserve a lot of credit for taking on the other buildings and create the total picture, worth much more than the sum of its parts. Burntisland has always been truly a group effort with at least 30 modellers working on it over a long period. :)

Burntisland stonework.pdf
(2.17 MiB) Downloaded 69 times

Return to “On My Workbench”