Wemyss Private Railway - Scott's Road - Allan Goodwillie

What individual members are up to.
Allan Goodwillie

Re: Wemyss Private Railway - Scott's Road - Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:51 pm

Now to the ash area of the yard and the road surface and standage surfaces. I am using baseboards with a layer of Styrene and paper on the top surface. I started by painting a dark grey coat of enamel paint to seal the paper surface and give a starting colour. The dark colour is useful as it will show through in the thinner areas when the light filler is applied. I use a cheap white glue to paint over the surface to give a permanent adhesive for the filler to be permanently attached using a 50/50 mixed with water and painted on rapidly using a cheap bristle brush.

DSC05525.JPG

The next step is to use some sort of spatula to spread a thin layer of lightweight plaster, it may not always stick immediately and where the glue is thick sometimes the plaster will take some of this up within its mix. I would not worry about this although it will add to the texture later and can be played with.

DSC05524.JPG

Once the plaster has dried (about an hour later) I rub it down using a bock and sandpaper. It is like using a rubber to draw with, you can make decisions as you go along whether you want to leave a feature or not as the case may be. I want my area to be pitted and heavily used so there will be lots of small puddles and marks left b certain loads and spillages all over the yard. There will also be areas restored/partly restored etc. which I will cover as this goes on. Tonight's work is just to get something going.

DSC05526.JPG

Here is a shot showing some of the rubbed down surface where there are pot holes.

DSC05529.JPG

It will require a range of techniques to be brought to life.

Allan :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:15 pm

HI John, :)
There were one or two other things on the list of to-dos tonight, just to finish off certain areas - the cess areas and embankments. So to be complete -

DSC05538.JPG

The cess areas were fine ash - the material used was fine ballast with the intention of using pastel and paint to get the final finish.

DSC05537.JPG

Above is one of the removable parts of the embankment to allow for the point electronics and mechanism. The fine mesh is to transfer any heat away safely and disperse it below the carpet under-felt. The mesh is potter's mesh for pottery sieves - again showing some skills from my past life - I do like a certain amount of creative mess!

DSC05532.JPG

Another technique used this evening was to fill areas ad gaps using some brown plasticine as a filler, it never quite dries out and if it gets a knock it can be resurfaced readily. If painted over it takes years to dry out. In this case I wanted to get rid of the gap between the track areas and the bays used for storing scrap parts from the works. As seen below, all it will require is a touch of paint.

DSC05533.JPG

That's enough for this evening - we might have a look at embankments in greater detail, by then I will have worked them up with colour and texture, if I get some time this week coming.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:41 am

Lots of good stuff on this thread, with that lovely Glen and now the sleeper infill!

Of possible interest is another application of sleepers to form a coal yard stockade, as seen in this photograph:
Sleeper stockade.jpg
In this case we used wooden strip (not ply) for the sleepers. The imprint of the chairs in the sleeper is quite characteristic when they are re-used for other purposes, and over time the passage of traffic tends to compress the wood beneath the chair so as to leave a slight indentation. To reproduce this and simultaneously represent the darker 'footprint' of the chair we made up a brass pattern following the shape of the chair's base and let into it three lengths of wire that would be used to create the holes for the chairscrews. The pattern was then fitted as the bit to an old Solon 65 watt soldering iron, and the imprint of the chairs was literally burned into the sleepers, complete with screw-holes. I think we must have created some form of simple jig to get the chair imprint positions correct, but can't be sure as this was work done over thirty years ago.

I think I must have been guilty of creating and wielding the special 'bit', but credit for actual construction of the stockade, including the block wall at left of shot, goes to editorTim.

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi John, :)
Really nice work both. Sleepers were used all over the place, on the extended Dubbieside I used them extensively when it was in the museum back in the 1980's, most of the extension no longer exists as I had no-where to store it when I gave up at Melrose - many items were given away and a few buildings stored and the original boards kept - fortunately. Using the foam allowed for fast modelling.

A couple of weeks ago the West Scotland Group had a visit to Chris Pendlenton's place to see how he was progressing his layout. We had a superb day running trains and it just reminded me how much a feature Chris has made of sleeper fencing on it. Julian was having fun running his Crab and the rest of us had a superb time running trains.

Here is a shot of part of my friend Chris's wonderful layout - note the sleeper fence running miles along the layout front.

DSC05395.JPG

Chris was one of the West Scotland Group's early members and I joined the Group after seeing his KIrkwelpington layout at a Glasgow show and recognising that the Group were modelling in the same gauge as myself in the early 1970's. I took quite a number of photographs, but will only put this one up as I am sure Chris will want to produce some articles on his layout when he manages to get it finished and I have no intention of stealing his thunder as it were.

Now the locomotive - this was not built by myself but was a very early locomotive built by another friend, Robin McEwe who is better known for the beautiful O Gauge locomotives he scratch-builds as well as many locomotives built for John Smith's amazing pre-group 00 layout. Robin is not known within our Scalefour Soc, but should be as the engine was a Scalefour locomotive built in the 1960's and one of the first to be constructed anywhere. I brought it down to Scalefourum a couple of years back when we were trying to show that just as much experimentation was going on north of the border as there was down south. I had no idea that Robin had dabbled until it came up in conversation just prior to Scalefourum. Robin has very kindly, given me a long term loan of the engine provided it gets a regular run, which I hope it will get on the Wemyss layout - the engine was a Thornton one. I do have a "Scott" - "The Pirate" which ran the last passenger train on the Methil/Buckhaven branch.

So they will have plenty of work I hope.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:40 pm

Allan Goodwillie wrote:HI John, :)
There were one or two other things on the list of to-dos tonight, just to finish off certain areas - the cess areas and embankments. So to be complete -

DSC05538.JPG

The cess areas were fine ash - the material used was fine ballast with the intention of using pastel and paint to get the final finish.

DSC05537.JPG

Above is one of the removable parts of the embankment to allow for the point electronics and mechanism. The fine mesh is to transfer any heat away safely and disperse it below the carpet under-felt. The mesh is potter's mesh for pottery sieves - again showing some skills from my past life - I do like a certain amount of creative mess!

DSC05532.JPG

Another technique used this evening was to fill areas ad gaps using some brown plasticine as a filler, it never quite dries out and if it gets a knock it can be resurfaced readily. If painted over it takes years to dry out. In this case I wanted to get rid of the gap between the track areas and the bays used for storing scrap parts from the works. As seen below, all it will require is a touch of paint.

DSC05533.JPG

That's enough for this evening - we might have a look at embankments in greater detail, by then I will have worked them up with colour and texture, if I get some time this week coming.

Thanks for taking the time to go into this detail Allan .... this is really appreciated and quite magical to watch the model emerge :thumb
Tim Lee

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:22 am

Hi John, :)

Thanks! :D There was something bothering me about the basic surface that I had used as the infill for the locomotive /works yard. And when I was in looking at Dubbieside in the garage this morning I could see that on the crossings on the railway where I had used sleepers before and used the polystyrene I had pressed down the chair area as well as painting it. -

As you have done very nicely -
The imprint of the chairs in the sleeper is quite characteristic when they are re-used for other purposes, and over time the passage of traffic tends to compress the wood beneath the chair so as to leave a slight indentation.

There is also a film made in the 50's showing that the chair positions were also planed, certainly by some of the companies and continued in BR period as being part of the processing of the sleepers pre-laying. Something which I was aware of was how on the Borders Railways of the NBR they used Swedish pine which was remarkably even and straight for the sleepers which they simply cut down the middle then took an edge off the curved surface to create the top of the sleeper. This process created an interestingly shaped sleeper top which was quite distinctive, having curved edges going down into the ballast. Someone out there must have built a model with this surely - I have a vague feeling of seeing one at Newcastle fairly recently, but cannot remember the name of the layout - not an S4 one, but an excellent layout just the same - it had a very good sound system as well with all the sounds of the train and not just the locomotive. Very convincing.

So before the weekend I will go and make a small tool to compress the foam and rework it before I add the final layers of paint and dirt on Sunday.

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:41 pm

I don't have much time this evening to upload what I have managed since last week, however I will cover the working up of some of the surfaces that were worked on last week and will finish this part next Sunday. So mainly photographs tonight.

DSC05541.JPG

Here I am working around the reservoir. The reservoir levels went up and down and the pool had a concrete edge.I am using low tack tape so as not to damage the polystyrene and painting using enamels and a designer brush. Designer brushes have longer bristles and keep their points well. Longer bristles allow for carrying more paint and do not require going back to the paint jar or tin so often. They are easier to control when doing a free hand edge or painting in a straight line. Difficult to get hold of these days - my bushes are called Sceptre Gold, but I have not been able to get them up here in recent years. :cry:

DSC05542.JPG

Here I am painting along the edge of the water and the masking tape.

DSC05543.JPG

The lighter concrete area being painted in. The lower darker one will be given a layer of varnish at the finish, once dried. :)

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:54 pm

Once almost dry I have used some earth colour to suggest dirt being washed out by rain and running down the slope into the reservoir. Below the long grass made from carpet under-felt I have glued some chopped foam to suggest the dry moss below the overhanging grasses and will later add some dried leaves to complete the scene.

DSC05544.JPG

DSC05545.JPG

On the other side of the water is an area used for standage of different narrow bands. This is painted a number of different concrete shades. Notice the plaster used on the road to the bottom of the picture,

DSC05548.JPG

What you are hoping is that these areas will show some of the texture you have added previously as the close-up shows.

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:02 pm

DSC05550.JPG

Here the concrete texture has been brought out by using a darker shade thinned down and worked on to the painted plaster before the first layer is wet to give variation.

DSC05556.JPG

White Glue is painted along the joints for attaching weeds and mosses.

DSC05557.JPG

Fine chopped foam is added along the joints suggesting the place needs a bit more are taken of it. The foam is stippled on using a stippling brush.

Allan :thumb

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:17 pm

DSC05558.JPG

I use a light delicate/soft brush with long bristles to clear off the material which I do not use.

DSC05559.JPG

Here is the final appearance.

DSC05560.JPG

IN the process I brushed the material on to the water surface and had an idea.

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:24 pm

DSC05562.JPG

It reminded me of duck weed or similar floating so I decided to use some of it along with some tufts to create a small reed bed in an area where I had no photographic references at all - I can always change it later. So a couple of photos to see it developing

DSC05563.JPG

A 50/50 mix of white glue and water was used.

DSC05564.JPG

Then material was added including some longer tufts.

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:31 pm

DSC05566.JPG

Material being used - a small selection of the orange colour available via Noch

DSC05567.JPG

Pins and brown plasticine dipped in white glue are made into reeds.

DSC05572.JPG

Material being painted and cut to make longer leaves.

Finished effect next week I am afraid :)

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:45 pm

Allan,

I am sure this is very much in the realms of grandmother's and eggs .... and you have all the angles covered as far as what you are doing....

But I came across this series of youtube videos with some ideas regarding modelling water which I found very interesting .... just thought I would link them as some might be interested - hope you don't mind. I have tried out the techniques on a model diorama of a part section through a mediaeval castle with moat I am building with my son as part of a school project - they seemed pretty effective and user friendly to me. :thumb

At the least I would be interested in your thoughts ;)

Tim Lee

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:16 am

Hi Tim, :)

Thanks for putting these up - I haven't seen them before. Well worthwhile taking a look if considering using resin. I too am allergic to the stuff - I used to use it when we were teaching - I used to make low reliefs with the children-some of them being really quite large and using fibreglass. As can be seen pouring resins can be quite straightforward and not too messy although I no longer use the stuff I would recommend using it as demonstrated. The type used requires two equal parts to be mixed which is easier to accomplish, some types require only a small amount of hardener and require careful measuring otherwise the mix can become alarmingly hot.

I don't think he remarks - I would have to run them through again, about the surface that the resin will go on to. On the Bonnybridge layout we built many years ago I was asked to do the scenery and I thought I would use the resin to make a burn which ran through some trees. The base was made from fibre board which just kept absorbing the resin! I cannot remember just how many coats were poured in but it was a lot. Perhaps it could have been sealed using a coating of white glue first of all.

You can get resin creep,if your model is not exactly level.

Anyone using them at home for the first time must be aware that fumes are given off and that ventilation is most important and have throw away gloves for handling, as you really do not want to get it on your hands or clothing.

Apart from that it does do a good job of representing water.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:09 am

Thanks Allan,

some helpful additional bits of advice there. :thumb

For my diorama I used rigid closed cell insulation board as the base with the base and sides of the moat modelled from DAS clay. Rocks reeds and under water features were added using PVA. In this instant the resin pore was a good 30mm thick at its thickest.

I am keen to experiment with the liquid poring qualities to see how easy it might be to create a running stream etc with a slope to it. I thought the river running in to the sea on the video worked well from this standpoint.

The 50/50 mix recommended was not particularly pungent as I recall and certainly nothing like the resin I used to get involved with for repairing surfboards and the like. My work room has good cross ventilation via two separate doorways to the outside. ;)

I have yet to try the clear 'mastic' like top coat he uses in a diluted form to create ripples and waves .... but I assume that this would also work with other forms of clear base?
Tim Lee

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:05 am

Possibly, but not something I have tried - there is possibly someone out there that has and can add to this. Certainly when you look up a river it is possible to see the gradient especially in hilly country. The Chemise Burn which fed the reservoir had little gradient, but will have a bt more contrast with the slightly faster flowing Lappy Burn which (as the name suggests) was also a slow moving piece of water.

I am doing a bit this morning, stopped for "Pop Master" of course and have made a simple form from a small printing lead to press into the polystyrene foam area where the locos will stand outside the shed as suggested by John. Job done within about 30 minutes. I will take some photos later and post them once I have added to the texture and dirt on the area as well as the decomposition of the sleepers in time. There are photos taken after rain with puddles. in some of the decayed areas. Doing the puddles on the road today as well.

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:46 pm

Hi :)

After John's comments I have been reworking the sleepered area outside the shed and works. I made a small shape to represent the foot of the chair. I made this from a printers lead - easy to file and within a few seconds I had something to work with. Since the area uses sheet polystyrene it was just a cse of going along and pressing gently each of the chair positions - although there were hundreds it took about 10-15 minutes to do - so not as big a job as I had perhaps envisaged. I also dug out and scored here and there to suggest the decay which can occur with old sleepers. I also took a small amount of solvent on a brush and compacted some areas - the real thing had puddles where some of the sleepers had decayed completely.

I used the light coving plaster thinned with water to fill in anything I thought was overdone and then gave the area a wash of colours to allow it do darken and go better into the scene. Everything has dried out and now looks more like the original - I still have some detailing to do yet -spillages of oil and sand and material growing here and there as well as puddles. I will put up finished pictures of the completed work later.

DSC05579.JPG

DSC05580.JPG

DSC05581.JPG

I am afraid that is all for tonight, sorry to hear about Mike Sharman, really nice guy.

Most of this week (4 days) has been spent working on Burntisland, but we have a news blackout on so cannot show what we are up to. I also spent another day finishing the wagons for Calderside - they still have to be weathered, so I will wait to show them once completed. This next week will be spent on Dubbieside before it goes to Newcastle in November as well as more time spent on Burntisland - well it is a workbench thread after all.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:08 pm

This is fascinating to watch Allan :thumb
Tim Lee

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:18 pm

Much of this week has been taken up with work on the Burntisland layout and photographing it, when I have had time for my own layouts I have been working on my engines for Dubbieside which is going to the Newcastle Show in its original form. Much time has been spent cleaning and testing the locomotives as well as repairing one of my Burntisland locos - the little Neilson tank - the glue had given(after about 30 years on the final drive gear - the engine had been used on several layouts prior to Burntisland. It is the little loco sitting beside all these bigger black locos.

DSC05732.JPG

As it is the reduced Dubbieside there will be no pacifics running along the rear main line, just the dock shunters and goods pilots bringing in trips.

DSC02234.JPG

Here is 68353 with new chassis working on the layout, the layout will also get a spruce up over the next two weeks with Scalefourum and Burntisland taking up the weekend between. So nothing to be posted next weekend.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:57 am

Allan,

The 5 plank open wagon on the Dubbieside photo caught my eye ... is this scratch built ...kit built ... or modified RTR?

If you have time it would be nice to see some photo's of Dubbieside at Newcastle -I got a copy of the MRJ article which I enjoyed reading .... though it could have been better illustrated.
Tim Lee

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:49 pm

The wagon is a ready to run conversion, I would have to go and look it out to see what the original was, I literally have hundreds of wagons.

It is true about the article in MRJ 47 -they were more interested in the written side and only published one or two photographs. During its time in Melrose I really did not take many photographs and really wish I had recorded the layout more fully, frankly I was simply far too busy. I had a friend Ian Addison who sent me some photographs of the layout when it appeared at the Edinburgh Art College exhibition prior to Melrose when it was at its longest and an end to end layout. The money that came from attending that particular exhibition allowed me to start the East of Scotland 4mm group all these years ago. The West Group also helped sponsor the new group as it was then. The later article was also just a small selection from about 20 photographs of the layout taken at night with only the layout lights on. Only about half of the photographs were used.

Looking forward to seeing you at the weekend.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:05 am

Hi Allan,

Good to talk at the weekend, and thankyou so much for bringing down with you and showing me the ins and outs of your various jigs .... all is I think clear now :thumb

This is the link I remembered to the hackle pliers

viewtopic.php?p=56186#p56186

Not sure if they are similar to the ones you had or not? ;)

Congrats on the success of Burntisland to you and all involved ... viewing it from a 'sitting on a chair' position as well as standing up was something of a revelation (same with Pulborough)...... the vast sweep of the layout became even more evident and you got such a realistic sense of the railway in its physical setting. The distant views looking down the tracks from either end were extremely evocative. :)
Tim Lee

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:20 pm

The ones I have are possibly no longer available although these look pretty good for the purpose, although there is no heat protection. What I use were intended as heat sinks in the electronic industry. I think they came from RS components originally, but they do not seem to be in their present catalogue,

DSC05890.JPG

The idea was to restore the layout as much as possible to show it in its original condition - this meant replacing the high legs with the original low legs. The original low back scene was no longer available so it also meant the addition of a completely new back scene, but I kept it to its original minimal look. The scene shows the third dock at Methil, which was alongside the original Dubbieside.

DSC05900.JPG

The next shot shows Dave my son operating at the far end and JIm and Emily Rowbottom operating the main part of the layout. Emily proved herself to be a very competent operator and both seemed to be enjoying the occasion. We took out the whole family for a meal on the Saturday evening.

DSC05907.JPG

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:37 pm

While still on Newcastle Tim :)

This first layout was called Corrieshalloch

DSC05921.JPG

DSC05919.JPG

I also liked this little Welsh narrow gauge - Holegn Bridge- the trees were a particular delight.

DSC05912.JPG

DSC05913.JPG

Both layouts small but beautifully modelled and shouted the area they came from even with no stock showing on the layout

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:28 pm

Allan Goodwillie wrote:While still on Newcastle Tim :)

This first layout was called Corrieshalloch

I have to say, I thought it was the star of the show, it looked stunning. I stayed in a cottage at the end of the gorge the layout depicts last year.

Return to “On My Workbench”