Wemyss Private Railway - Scott's Road - Allan Goodwillie

What individual members are up to.
steve howe

Re: Wemyss Private Railway - Scott's Road - Allan Goodwillie

Postby steve howe » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:15 pm

Allan Goodwillie wrote: It is always good to see someone with a thoughtful eye take an unrestrained look at the layout and Philip did not let us down, my own favourite shows one of the sailing ships and a tug built by Ray Nolton.

L11105050.jpg

In this one scene there have been many modellers hands involved. Apart from Ray's sailing ship and tug,

Again thanks should go to Philip for his efforts which are due to appear on the site covering this year's show.

Allan :)

Allan, great images :thumb Can you tell us the origins of the sailing ship? I asked the question of one of your operators last time I saw Burntisland a couple of years ago, and they thought it was an adapted plastic kit but the gent who built it was not available to confirm. Very hard to find convincing ship kits in our anachronistic scale!

Cheers

Steve

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:11 pm

Hi Steve, :)

It is a while since I put the image up here. I contacted my very good friend Ray Nolton who built the vessels and he tells me they were originally Heller kits, more recently produced by another company called Zvezda. It is a model of a brigantine. Seemingly there were three versions of the kit, one I believe called Sirius (the Dog Star for those who also like a bit of astronomy).

Every show we attend we are asked about the various ships and their source. Some are scratch built and others are based on kits. Ray as well as putting together the brigantines also produced the tugboat. I do know Ray went to a lot of trouble to bring the kits up to the finish he wanted. The two vessels I built were scratch-built, the passenger steamer and the Victorian dredger. Jim Summers built the train ferry and John Crompton built the moving bridge, both being scratch-built. The beautiful schooner was scratch-built by Bruce Murray who sadly passed on during this Covid period and will be much missed.

When chatting to Ray this afternoon about your enquiry he said that if you want to contact him directly he would be happy to oblige. He used to post on the Forum but has not done so lately - so you may find him making contact through this thread or directly to you behind the scenes. Otherwise contact me and I will pass on his contact details - I have checked with him that it would be OK.

Ray, an ex-navy man, is one of the best modellers I know and has scratch built so many fantastic and interesting wagons for Burntisland in recent years. He also builds many model ships and has a way with modelling water that is just wonderful.

Hope this is of some help Steve

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:46 pm

Many thanks Allan, I'll have a look for that brand :thumb

Steve

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:31 am

Steve

This is their website and a listing to the Brig. https://en.zvezda.org.ru/catalog/sborny ... 569_25509/

However, it is marked as "not for export" and this may well present some issues for you. There is mention of a UK supplier in Milton Keynes if you search through their site.

It does look very good though; it is 1:100 but I suspect that this is plenty big enough for us trainies!
Mark Tatlow

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:49 am

Hi Mark, :)

thanks for helping out. The difference in scale, certainly on Burntisland does not seem to matter, but then again I know Ray has probably done a few things to disguise this a bit. The size of such vessels varied, as was true of most ships, even of the same class.

raynolton

Postby raynolton » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:08 pm

Well thank you Allan for that very flattering introduction - Its a while since I posted on the Forum, as my main interest for the last couple of years has been my ship modelling in 1:350 and 1:700 scale. I did however manage to squeeze in a small one day exhibition in early December with United Mills and that has rekindled my model railway interests again - I did promise Allan I would get on and provide some contact reference the two Brigantines on Burntisland. As Allan has said they are both from Zvezda (ex Heller) 1:100 scale kits which seem to be fairly rare nowadays from what I can see - there's a couple available on Google for around £40-50 after a very quick look on the net. The "SIRIUS" which Allan mentioned is another release of the same kit with additional bits to turn the kit into a "steamer", I think they also marketed it as "Pourquois Pas" as well if I remember correctly. "ELAINE" is built virtually out of the box whereas "LAURA" has a few modifications at her stern to ring the changes as it were. The rigging, deadeyes and blocks were purchased from Cornwall Model Dockyard if I remember rightly although there are several firms dealing in larger scale components, JOTIKA being one which comes to mind. They are a quick and easy way of providing sailing ships for a harbour scene and the scale difference is virtually unnoticeable especially if crewed by 1:76 sailors - a number are available along with lots of accessories though Langley. Happy to provide any additional information as needed - they are in my garage if you need any detail photos taking.....

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:56 am

Zvezda is a Russian company and has a wide range of kits available in this country - Model Hobbies, EModels and Wonderland Models, for example, all seem to stock the brigantine, albeit at different prices - £39.99, £44.99, and £49.99 respectively. I've built one of their Russian battleship kits - it wasn't particularly good by modern standards but is an old kit that Zvezda took on from another manufacturer that went out of business and to be fair to Zvezda it was priced accordingly, being remarkably cheap for a kit of its size. More modern Zvezda kits are, I believe, much better (and a bit more expensive).

DT

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:46 am

Thanks everyone for helping with Dave's request. :D

Thought I would cover the tree making first thing this morning just by showing a series of pictures with comments on construction underneath. I do enjoy making trees, we might go into other types of trees at a later date, but I will just go into construction of the beech tree for the moment. Beech trees are one of the slowest growing species in our native woodland. As trees die out in a forest the last ones still standing will be the beech trees They can last hundreds of years. They are often signs of ancient tracks or routes through the countryside.

Over the years they can become very high and have very long limbs. Some of these limbs end up with kinks and bends in them as they seek the light and come across other trees which have grown around them and are more dominant early on. so a beech will twist around so as not to be in the shade. Looking at one from the side there seems often to be great gaps and space between the limbs, however if looked at from the top, when building a model of the real thing, the whole area will be covered by leaves as no tree will want to waste the light that is falling on it. This means that the tree can be bushy lower down and in surprising areas on the way up, with,on a mature tree most of the leaves on the top half of the tree.

To make a tree you should start by picking a decent piece of root stock and drill a small hole in the base and glue in a scrap piece of rail. If the tree is going to be of any size double up the rail and solder together to strengthen the post which will eventually be plugged into the layout.

DSC07839.JPG

It also means that the tree can be held in a vice or a block of polystyrene as it is being constructed. I use a vice with a revolving head. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:02 am

To build on this you will need any number of other pieces of branch material all of which should be clean - washed and dried. Other limbs will be needed as well as smaller branches made from twisted wire - I use old mains cable stripped for this and more hot glue - make sure the glue gun is well warmed up before you start as you may want to manipulate the glue before it sets hard.

I always start at the bottom of the tree.

I will normally start to add on any other main limbs first then add some thinner secondary ones which go almost up the full length of the tree. Smaller branches made from the wire can also be incorporated again starting from the lower levels first.

DSC07841.JPG

DSC07835.JPG

Continue with your basic building until the main structure is looking good, keep turning it and looking at it from all sides and top. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:31 am

:) Trees growing on their own in parts of the country where the wind is seldom a problem do tend to grow straight up. I love the oaks in Oxfordshire which are quite stately trees. In Scotland that is less likely, where there is regular and constant windy conditions the trees can be shaped to form into shapes dictated by the wind. Trees at the edge of forest or following a boundary or path are often damaged by the wind This is the case with this tree. Once the main trunk and branches had been put in I thought it would be good to have some broken features, so again I went looking for some likely bits and tried them in different places before glueing them in.

The effect of heavy rain accompanied with saturated ground and heavy winds can lead to trees leaning, again I am hoping to show this in this particular example. Easy to build in at this stage.

DSC07842.JPG

DSC07847.JPG

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:42 pm

I found that the hot glue gun was perfect for tree making. Even stringy bits look right. I still use wire (bike gear and brake cable) but it is sharp on your fingers so be careful. Here are two examples. Others were on Forge Mill Sidings particularly the large Willow tree.
20220105_123616.jpg

20220105_123540.jpg
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:51 pm

This time of year is perfect for looking at the structure of trees and hedges before they grow again. Very interesting about the rose roots. Alas the vine weevils eat all the useful bits off my dead ones. I have a dead lemon tree though...
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:44 pm

Hi Michael :)

Thanks for showing us your method, it was sore fingers put me off using brake cable as well, however it is very permanent once made. I was out this morning taking photographs of examples of trees in my own area (2 minuets away) and will put them up here as examples of structure and finer details - good time to capture them and will put them together as a PDF for folks to use as well as for my own use.

I have photographs of the same trees in spring summer and autumn so will also make up PDF's for them all. What is the softer furry material you have glued on the ends of your branches? - I could see a good use for that. Twelfth night tonight so will be taking down our decorations so it will probably be the end of the week before I manage to post what I have on this particular piece of the thread. :)

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:53 am

I've been following this guy on YouTube for a while now and he uses a combination of the twisted wire method with static grass for the very small branches. The railway content (HO Canadian) I can take or leave but his scenery is among the best I've seen...

John

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:09 pm

Allan Goodwillie wrote:Hi Michael :)

Thanks for showing us your method, it was sore fingers put me off using brake cable as well, however it is very permanent once made. I was out this morning taking photographs of examples of trees in my own area (2 minuets away) and will put them up here as examples of structure and finer details - good time to capture them and will put them together as a PDF for folks to use as well as for my own use.

I have photographs of the same trees in spring summer and autumn so will also make up PDF's for them all. What is the softer furry material you have glued on the ends of your branches? - I could see a good use for that. Twelfth night tonight so will be taking down our decorations so it will probably be the end of the week before I manage to post what I have on this particular piece of the thread. :)

I can't remember where I read it but coat your fingers with PVA. It helps a bit with the sharp wire ends. Let it dry. You can peel it off later.
The softer furry material is Woodlands Scenic foliage material.

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:48 pm

HI John and MIchael, :)

sorry for the delay in replying. unfortunately I have had a bit of a relapse with my long Covid and the work I was hoping to put in on the trees just has not materialised this week. I should have been a dozen trees up by now and instead the tree building has come to a halt.
This morning however, I have at last had a chance to have a look at the video post John. I likewise thought it excellent and has a number of techniques for the production of spruce or perhaps Scotts pine, (although Scotts Pine is far from straight), that can be adapted. Some excellent ideas - the Americans are very good at this sort of thing.

There are basically two methods of construction his way is to produce something generic and as the design moves on he adds a bit more character towards the end of construction. I work the opposite way and concentrate on the structure of the type of tree and build in as much character at that stage as possible and continue to model in this vein.

His method which is very effective, uses wire loop construction and long fibres to create the finer structures - very neat and suitable for"leaf materials" such as he uses. I also use fine wire on the ends of branches, but I use Woodland Scenic s foliage material teased out and leave the wire ends to go through the foliage and fold the wire ends over to secure. Once done then I spray photo mount and add finer leaf material and colour using an airbrush, often on the layout.

For the trunk he uses wire and bends the wire to shape more towards the end than the beginning. With my own technique the sculptor within me has always gone for the structure first and in the early days I used, as mentioned, sections of Bowden cable wrapped around by copper wire and dipped in mixed wax, which was fairly quick and gave a nice gnarled trunk effect before adding lichen and some form of flock. In the early days about 50 years ago, I was quite happy with this and I do have some trees on Dubbieside made this way - so quite long lasting and robust, however over the years I have altered almost all aspects of this construction although I agree with you Michael that it can still produce something worth having despite the sore fingers, I also like your suggestion of using the glue to give pads to the fingers, in these far off days I used to have really good pads due to playing the guitar.

I do have a lot of good source material which I am hoping to be able to put up in the form of PDFs. Most of what there is on the internet shows perfect trees and seldom what trees are really like in woodland conditions. Internet examples are usually as near perfect in form and chosen from parkland where they are well spaced and given the chance and freedom to grow in good conditions. I have examples from all seasons which I will put up here once I get going again. :)

Unfortunately it may be a week or two before I get back to this thread, so sorry for the false start, but I am more run down that I thought - I really did think I was over the worst of it :( - apologies everyone.

Allan :|

Return to “On My Workbench”