Another 14xx...

What individual members are up to.
JackBlack

Another 14xx...

Postby JackBlack » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:07 pm

Hi folks,

It's been a very long time, but I have valid excuses (moved to Portugal, had two kids, organised 3 festivals, got made redundant, got a new job, got made redundant again, got another new job etc etc). But now I find myself doing two weeks in London and two weeks wfh in Portugal, and the London two weeks gives me time to turn my attention back to 4mm railway models, Lampeter station and all that good stuff...

So I've been working on a specific project, with the goal of finishing it before I start something else. And that project is a 14xx using a High Level chassis, Airfix body, coupled to a Clifton Downs driving trailer. That's phase 1. Phase 2 is to build the Clifton Downs passenger trailer to go in the middle...

I started back in November on the Clifton Downs trailer, I'll post some photos on that later. But last week I was able to order the High Level chassis for the 14xx, and pick up the Airfix body from eBay. Unfortunately the 14xx detailing kit is no longer available so I'm going to have to wing it a bit, and pick up parts here and there, but one of my co-conspirators has scanned the instructions for me, so I have some sort of guide for that thankfully.

Anyway, the chassis arrived in good time. I'm using CSBs, pretty much based on the James Moorhouse Pannier Chassis on the CLAG site HERE. Using the High Level CSB jig and some diagrams that a certain Mr Scannell sent me I was able to plot two separate pairs of beams, one pair for the driving wheels and another pair for the undriven axle.

It basically took me a weekend (and this is not my area of fortitude at all...). I took the James Moorhouse example of the separate springs, bolted on to fabricated spacers. These, and the detachable brakes that are designed into the High Level chassis means that the driving wheels can be dropped out just by removing the CSBs. I've attached some photos.

The various sub-assemblies...

Chassis-001.jpg

I had to remove some parts of the inside motion to clear the CSBs and to allow the hornblocks to move up high enough. Hopefully it wouldn't be noticeable...

Chassis-002.jpg

For the undriven wheels I used the existing bearing carriers that come with the kit, attached used some short Gibson handrail knobs, with medium ones attached to the chassis. Seems to work fine...

Chassis-004.jpg

The separate springs bolted into place...

Chassis-006.jpg

And the assembled chassis...

Chassis-008.jpg

This project will be r/c with power coming from a battery in the driving trailer. So no pick-ups...

Next, I start hacking the body up.

More progress soon...

Cheers, Nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nick Allport
CLAG

dave_long

Re: Another 14xx...

Postby dave_long » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:37 pm

Looking good for 'not your area'. I'm about to receive a Hornby body for a 14xx and waiting on a comet chassis, but that high level does look very good. Interesting note about R/c as that's the way I'm heading at the moment with a deltang system.

Return to “On My Workbench”