Shapeways FED

What individual members are up to.
John Bateson

Shapeways FED

Postby John Bateson » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:41 pm

On my list of things to do, there was one item there based on a comment that on my Shapeways reversers all the handles were pointed in the same direction, thus giving modellers little choice.
Finally, I have got around to this. One complication was that since I last sent models to Shapeways they have tightened up quite considerably on what they would print so there was an element of redesign in these. Additionally I chose to try out the new FED offering which claims much smaller parts could be modelled.
I suppose that I could have adopted a 2-part solution but by this time I was getting fed up!
Initially the model was rejected. Parts were vulnerable and could be damaged in production and handling. Since these were parts that were either all but invisible such as the locking ratchet or could simply be replaced by a short length of wire such as the wooden handles I opted for the 'print it anyway' facility offer by Shapeways in which the customer takes the risk.
IMG_0127.JPG

The results are rather nice I think, and there was no damage at all, even to the locking latch with its knob on the end of a short rod!
I have a feeling thats things can only get better with this 3D printing lark ...

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Knuckles

Re: Shapeways FED

Postby Knuckles » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:36 pm

John Bateson wrote:One complication was that since I last sent models to Shapeways they have tightened up quite considerably on what they would print...I suppose that I could have adopted a 2-part solution but by this time I was getting fed up!

I know how you feel! Only too well. :shock:

Shapeways are perfectly inconsistent and don't know how to keep goal posts still. This is to improve things no doubt but also because different people do the manual checks and different people have different opinions. I've had no end of botheration having to keep redesigning things for the smallest and stupidest of things. It is also one reason I am saving for my own printer, not that I'll be trouble free as it'll be a whole new set of bothers but at least I won't have to keep dancing around their ever changing standards.

Your handles look exquisite by the way. Very nice indeed.

Edit: Apologies for making posts that aren't much help sometimes, I just like to hang out here ya know?
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

Return to “On My Workbench”