Bill Bedford 4F Chassis

What individual members are up to.
TonyMont

Bill Bedford 4F Chassis

Postby TonyMont » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:35 am

Hi All,
Some time ago I started a CSB 4f using frames I cut myself, recently I had a query regarding the brakes, and so I thought I would start a Bill Bedford chassis to see how he had dealt with them.
The chassis folds up very well as per Bill's diagram on the Mousa website, however rather than solve my problem it has created a new one. The chassis I have is to a different and I think newer design than the download. I am not sure if I should be using handrail knobs for the fulcrums, there are some small etches which could make fulcrums, but there are only seven of them and I assume I need eight, can anyone help?

Regards,
Tony.

dal-t

Re: Bill Bedford 4F Chassis

Postby dal-t » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:25 pm

Interested to see the outcome of this one, because I have a much-loved Airfix 4F that I'd never previously considered converting, but if Bill's chassis is any good (oops, I hope he'll know what I mean - 'within my constructional ability'!) I might just be tempted to give it a go. The illustration on his website certainly shows handrail knobs being used, but it's not clear if that is the 'withdrawn' kit or the 'EM' one. No doubt he'll pop along to explain all i.d.c. ...
David L-T

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:30 pm

Both the one I have built and the one still in the packet use handrail knobs, and the knobs are in the packet. I have had the packet quite a while though so its quite possible Bill has done an update.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:59 pm

Experience says Bill is not beyond updating his kits without modifying the published drawing. However he does answer questions. Fold out fulcrum points are certainly a perfectly valid way of designing a kit and he has used them on other more recent chassis.

Without a view of the etch you actually have its hard to answer if there really are 7 or 8th integral fixed fulcrums. You could try scanning the etch if it is still intact. If one of the chassis spacers is closely aligned with the fulcrum point, it could be included in that.

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:39 pm

Tony

If your kit contains round bearings you should use the handrail knobs that you have, if it contains square bearings, PM me with your postal address.

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:24 pm

Hi Bill,
They are pretty much circular, with flats on to match to the horn guides, so I will assume handrail knobs. Thanks.

Tony.

Return to “On My Workbench”