Manning Wardle wheels

What individual members are up to.
David Bigcheeseplant

Re: Manning Wardle wheels

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:39 am

Here is the printed wheel next to a Gibson wheel.

The axle hole is printed at 1.9mm so can be reamed out to make a good fit on the axle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:21 pm

Certainly looks closer to the prototype as per this picture:

http://www.railwayarchive.org.uk/stories/getobjectstory.php?rnum=L1075&enum=LE118&pnum=3&maxp=11

The tyre thickness is much better. Is the diameter closer now?

In what material are they printed?

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:24 am

I have no idea what the material is but it can be drilled reamed and cut, I will have to ask Alan at Scalefourum.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:39 pm

Crepello wrote:
David Bigcheeseplant wrote:If Alan Gibson can also supply tyres on their own then it does open up the opportunity of filling the gaps of wheels that are not available.

I asked the requisite question at Railex. The answer seemed to be a grudging "Yes, but only if you mention this conversation."

I guess the margins are so slim that any encouragement to DIY could be cutting the ground away from under the range of fully-finished items. Unfortunately for me, this financial logic makes me disproportionately pessimistic about the finescale end of my hobby.

Since Colin doesn't really have the time to produce all-new types of driving wheels (I believe the current range will stay exactly as it is), there wouldn't really be any ground to be cut away.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

decauville1126

Postby decauville1126 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:08 pm

Philip Hall wrote:The Berntsen wheel was cast brass, nickel plated, had ten spokes and very thin tyres, which looked just like some of the pictures I had of K and I classes. There were Manning Wardles with eight spokes which until this was the only type available. I don't even think Sharman did them.

I can't imagine all the kits and the wheels have been used, so someone may have a set. I wonder whether Branchlines still deal with Paul Berntsen?

Philip

This explains methinks a set of 6 I recently got off ebay. They are nice. Very nice. Might just make me start one (of the many) Impetus Manning Wardles I have "in the queue"!

down_under

Postby down_under » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:52 am

Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but did you manage to print extra wheel centres? If so are there any available? If not, are they still available through Modelu?

Cheers

James

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:36 am

I am sure Modelu can you some centres off as I think they are in his range, although I have my own printer now but I don't know if Alan adjusted my design at all.

David

down_under

Postby down_under » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:39 pm

Thanks David for the response. I'll shoot them a email. I wasn't sure if the design resided with yourself or not.

Just to confirm that you also used the standard Exactoscale 3ft wagon rims?

I'll drop you a PM

Cheers

James

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:42 am

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:I am sure Modelu can you some centres off as I think they are in his range....

No mention on the website
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:58 am

Shapeways have recently got themselves some DLS machines and are offering prints in urethane methacrylate and rigid polyurethane. These sound like suitable material for wheel centres. I'd expect them to have better structural strength than Shapeways' "detail plastic" and much better finish than their congealed-snot range, a.k.a "versatile plastic".

Return to “On My Workbench”