Bachmann RU to RKB

PeteT

Bachmann RU to RKB

Postby PeteT » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:18 pm

This will develop into a workbench, but initially starts with a question! Has anyone re-sided a Bachmann Mark 1 (in my case with Comet sides), and if so how have you gone about body/chassis fixing? Is it a case of building in brass stretchers to allow nuts and bolts, or is there an easy way to graft on the original mounting system?

The same stands for Hornby Stanier stock...

Thanks in advance.

Mike Garwood

Re: Bachmann RU to RKB

Postby Mike Garwood » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:33 pm

Why are you so unhappy with the Bachmann sides? I thought the mk1's were pretty good to my eye. Just a question, nothing behind it.

Mike

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:53 pm

I agree - the sides are great - but they dont do an RKB. The only catering vehicles they do are the RU and RMB, while the Thames-Clyde replaced the 12 wheel LMS diner with the RKB D700.

(I did put the change in the title, but didn't repeat in the message text so don't blame you for missing it!).

Cheers,
Pete

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:25 pm

As I recall the diagram 700 kitchen cars were classed as RK as there was no buffet in them It would be nice if Bachmann could produce the triple-car mark 1 set of RSO; RK; RFO. They only produce the RFO of this right now. Also, diagram 25 RKB which is the most modern mark 1 kitchen car, and could be seen in the blue/grey era on many long distance expresses.

John F

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:41 pm

PeteT wrote:This will develop into a workbench, but initially starts with a question! Has anyone re-sided a Bachmann Mark 1 (in my case with Comet sides), and if so how have you gone about body/chassis fixing? Is it a case of building in brass stretchers to allow nuts and bolts, or is there an easy way to graft on the original mounting system?

The same stands for Hornby Stanier stock...

Thanks in advance.

I did a long time ago but can't remember how! (sorry). The coach is still unfinished in a box at my parents house so I'll try to remember to pick it up next time I go over. It was to do a BCK as at the time bachmann hadn't done them, which might give you a clue to how long it's been!

Sorry I can't be more help

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:03 pm

John, yes - trying to remember numbers off the top of my head, at least I did get a catering vehicle! - but yes D25 is the one.

If I don't sort a solution myself, or find someone with an answer, that will still be very useful thanks Jim.

Cheers,
Pete

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:40 pm

Can I suggest going on the RMWeb forum and having a look at the Coachmanns thread (Larry Goddard), he does lots of conversions using Bachmann coaches as doner's using various sources of etched sides including his own. He is usually very happy to give help and advice.

Cheers

Phil

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:03 pm

Good point Phil, thanks!

Return to “PeteT”