Falcon brass County and others..

What individual members are up to.
Mike Garwood

Falcon brass County and others..

Postby Mike Garwood » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:55 pm

Well, I thought it time to put some pictures up about what it is I've been doing for the last couple of years. Regretably the photos of the 11 coaches I'm finishing are crap and I shall post something on those in the future once they're finished. For those interested they are Toplight C28, Toplight D47, 4 * D117, 1 * C66 and 3 * C63...not forgetting an LMS full brake for good measure.

Sometime back now I started a Falcon brass County. Fool hardy? perhaps, but then there isn't a kit for one except this - more of that later - so having been warned by those who know better I ploughed on regardless. So, what did I have to re-engineer, quite a list actually. New boiler, new fire box, new running plate, new cab roof. So everything except the smokebox was replaced! So, here she is, County of Middlesex, as will be seen running on Little Mill Junction.
Running on a Comet chassis, with Gordan Ashton springing units and Ultrascale wheels, DJH gearbox 54:1 with a 1624 mashima motor.

County in matt.jpg

The other engine I have been building has also moved forward, Britannia Western Star 70025, again this will be seen on LMJ. This was a bit easier to build other than the upgrades to castings and pipe work. Archer decals - what a God send they are - these were used to replace rivets that were accidentally removed...there appear to have been quite a few errr accidents!
Again this is a Comet chassis, CSB's for the main drivers with a portescap 1624, the front bogie is Masokits and the rear pony is of my own design - which can be seen else where on this forum. The tender is quite interesting, as I managed to spring this with CSB's and use Chris Gibbon's 2mm bearings between the cut outs on a Comet tender chassis. Had to open out the cut out's about a qtr of a mil, but no great dramas to get a good sliding fit.

Brit in matt.jpg

Still got to paint the chassis for the engine and then add my pony...that'll be interesting.

So back to the County...as I got so flamin completely p*****d off with the Falcon brass effort - yes I know I was warned - I have drawn a kit of parts for all the major components. Boiler, smokebox, firebox, running plate, cab sides and roof and all the bits that fit in and around these. These are presently saved in my laptop and I'll put them into the forum when I'm satisfied they are right. I used the GA's on the Great Western Journal to produce these CAD drawings.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andy W

Re: Falcon brass County and others..

Postby Andy W » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Great work Mike. Well worth your efforts in ploughing on regardless. Falcon Brass kits - a great introduction to scratch-building.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

David B

Postby David B » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:23 pm

Ealing wrote: Falcon Brass kits - a great introduction to scratch-building.

Nicely done, Mike and well done for persevering. I can appreciate your frustration. I am making a couple of Falcon wagons at the moment and the number of alterations one has to make just for a wagon is considerable, so I can imaging what extra work you had to do for a loco.

I agree with Ealing that Falcon kits are a great introduction to scratch building. The basics are not at all bad and, with patience, you can construct a good model. Getting there, though, requires a lot of care and research and quite a number of bits that are not with the kit, either from other manufacturers or having to be made from scratch. Check everything, then do so again. Actually, I have quite enjoyed the exercise. I feel it has made me look at and think about what I am doing and consequently my understanding has improved as well as my skills.

Would I make more Falcon kits? Certainly I would. It's a different way of modelling and you come out at the end with quite a decent model of something other manufacturers often do not make. It is also a very good exercise in looking closely at drawings and photos, something that one should do for any kit, but especially for those from the Falcon stable.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:52 am

I'd certainly agree with those sentiments posted above, having to replace so many items in the kit made me research the subject far more deeply than I normally would have. That fact alone made the build more enjoyable and broadened my knowledge of the engine. Would I do another...in all honesty the only answer I could give is possibly, depending on prototype. I certainly would not contemplate any engine that is covered by superior kit manufacturers. I'm sure you know who and what I mean. The build was fun and frustrating in equal measure. So for entertainment valve it gets 10 out of 10.

Mike

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:37 pm

davidb wrote:
Ealing wrote: Falcon Brass kits - a great introduction to scratch-building.

......Would I make more Falcon kits? Certainly I would. It's a different way of modelling and you come out at the end with quite a decent model of something other manufacturers often do not make. It is also a very good exercise in looking closely at drawings and photos, something that one should do for any kit, but especially for those from the Falcon stable.

Having recently picked up what turned out to be two Falcon kits in one box, I'd actually like to get hold of the instructions for them.

Anyone out there with a PDF of the Hughes "Crab" and Stanier Mogul instructions, I'd be really grateful...!
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:28 pm

Some years back I finished - or so I thought - a Comet Royal Scot, but having seen some wonderful weathering I was inclined to give this model to someone who knew how. I am so pleased I did. This is the result:

46156_03.jpg

Bernie Baker take a bow, I am so thrilled!

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “On My Workbench”