NEEAG February meeting

Moderator: Jol Wilkinson

Jol Wilkinson

NEEAG February meeting

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:21 pm

NEEAG's February meeting was held last Thursday, on the 22nd. Eight members made their way through the chill winds to enjoy tea, coffee and the extravagance of home made cookies and Bourbon biscuits.

Three of the baseboards for Lavenham were set out and have now been distributed for storage by individual members. We discussed various aspects of the project and hopefully will make some more visible progress at the next meeting. We are still seeking information on the buildings and infrastructure.

Richard McLachan brought along a selection of partially built and completed or NER carriages, from D&S kits. He has made a number of improvements including rolled brass roofs which are bolted in place to simplify painting and glazing.

Our March meeting is one week later than our last Thursday in month (to accomodate those of us taking London Road to the York show) and will be held on Thursday 5th April.

Lavenham bb's.jpg

Three of the four central baseboards for Lavenham. The missing one (nearest to the camera) also has the sleepers in place plus some trackwork, including the double slip and adjacent crossing. The apparent misalignment disappears when the board end transit protection plates are removed and the boards are bolted together.

Richard's NER coaches.jpg

Richard M and Paul discussing Richard's NER carriages, while Peter searches through a folder of information on Lavenham.

DougN

Re: NEEAG February meeting

Postby DougN » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:15 pm

Jol,

Do you know how the brass roofs were rolled? I have a couple of clerestories that need this improvement. I find the plastic which is well formed but difficult to get the Clerestory section to glue to with out some type of distortion or becoming problematic to glaze and install finished. Also I would prefer not to see the top of the roof inside inside of the clerestory.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:43 am

Doug,

I think Richard rolls them with a GW rolling mill (or similar).

He was explaining to Paul that he cuts the brass sheet with a long throat piercing saw and it is important to buy good quality saw blades to get a straight cut. He gets his blades in Germany when he makes one of his several annual visits.

I'll ask him for more details.

Jol

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:38 am

Thanks Jol,

I don't have a rolling mill but others in the local group might. I know we did have one but unfortunately the owner has now passed away.
Doug

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:26 pm

Doug,

Richard has written up a piece on how he came to roll brass carriage roofs and went about it.

I'll post it in the Tools and Techniques section.

Jol

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:54 am

Thanks Jol,

it is quite an interesting description and please pass on my thanks to Richard.
Doug

Return to “North East Essex (NEEAG)”