NEEAG March Meeting

Moderator: Jol Wilkinson

Jol Wilkinson

NEEAG March Meeting

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:53 pm

The NEEAG March 2017 meeting will be on Thursday 30th March at 7:00 in the usual venue;

The Colchester Society of Model and Experimental Engineers Clubhouse
13a President Road
Colchester
CO3 9ED

Topics for discussion will be progress on the group's layout project, members current modelling activities a.k.a. show and tell, my latest excuse, etc.

Old, young and new members welcome to come along and enjoy the lively banter, tea, coffee and biscuits.

Jol Wilkinson

Re: NEEAG March Meeting

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Eleven members attended the NEEAG March meeting at our regular venue in Colchester.

NEEAG Mar17 meeting..jpg

Much discussion took place on the proposals for a model of Lavenham, in late steam BR days. Angus produced a printout of the Templot track layout created by Richard H. We agreed on the format for the baseboards, which Andy and Keith will commence shortly.

Despite living in GER?BE(E) territory we are a bit short on knowledge of track construction, sleeper lengths, number of chair bolts, etc. but should have that resolved for the next meeting. We also discussed options for track construction, turnout operation, etc. to decide how we will proceed with that aspect.

Several of us brought along some of our recent work, including a number of NER carriages from D&S kits by Paul C and several LNWR carriages by yours truly.

NEEAG Mar17 models.jpg

Next meeting will be on 20th April - one week earlier in the month than usual - to avoid Easter.

Chris Mitton

Postby Chris Mitton » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:15 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:Despite living in GER?BE(E) territory we are a bit short on knowledge of track construction, sleeper lengths, number of chair bolts, etc. but should have that resolved for the next meeting.

Hi Jol
There is some information about GER plain track in one of our very own Digests - 23.5.5.04 which shows both 30 foot and 45 foot track panels. I guess a relatively minor cross-country route such as the Long Melford - Bury St Edmunds was laid with 30 foot rails, but by your period would probably have been relaid with LNER 60 foot rails. Mind you, I remember as a kid riding the Maldon East branch towards the end of its days, and much of that's "main line" was still laid with GER 30 foot rails; the rhythm of a four-wheel railbus, with a wheelbase not much different, was quite strange!

I believe the GER used 4-bolt chairs, similar to the Midland's (they could well have come from the same foundry?).

I also have a plan of a GER double slip, which includes detail of V and K crossings, switch blades, stretcher bars and so on. I think it originated from Martin Wynne (most things PW do!), so apologies to him if it's his copyright......

I look forward to seeing Lavenham re-created - I hope you can include some of the town, including its magnificent church, as well as the station, which so far as I can see has one of those eccentric layouts beloved of the GER, designed on the principle of never do anything simple if they could possibly complicate it :D

Hope this is helpful,
Regards
Chris
Attachments
GER 1-7 double slip.jpg

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:58 am

Hi Chris,

many thanks for that information, just the sort of thing we are looking for.

The layout will encompass the station between the bridges, including the goods yard area towards the town where local merchants had their "sheds" in earlier days.

We have restricted storage and plan to make the boards of a size that can be readily transported, so we can't include any of the town with its delightful architecture. To do that in a reasonable space I think you would need to do it in 2mm FS

Jol

Return to “North East Essex (NEEAG)”