West Midlands Revival

Chris Mitton

West Midlands Revival

Postby Chris Mitton » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:44 pm

Scalefour Society – West Midlands Area Group

Members will be aware that this group has not been functioning for some time now, ever since our eviction from Fradley Hall coinciding with Les Bird's illness. Ian Hunter and I would like to try and revive this group – so we are convening a meeting in October, once holidays, Scaleforum and so on are out of the way. It will be on Tuesday 18th October, 8 pm; we'll find a venue depending on how many people show interest, but it will probably be in either Sutton Coldfield or Lichfield. Hopefully we can identify shared interests and resources, come up with a regular meeting place and a plan.....

Any interested members please contact me - treasurer@scalefour.org, or my full contact information is on the Blue Sheet – or drop by at Scaleforum for a chat – and we'll take it from there.

Chris Mitton

ken kirk

Re: West Midlands Revival

Postby ken kirk » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:59 pm

Best of luck to you.
Regards
The NAGGERS

kelly

Postby kelly » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:54 pm

Health and finances permitting I'll try to make it along.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Malc in Brum

Postby Malc in Brum » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:49 pm

While I've never been a member of the West Midlands group, I have followed the groups tribulations over the years. I may be able to attend a meeting, provided that you can decide where it will be held.

If I don't get to the meeting, maybe the group ought to consider building a modular layout, each member supplying one board and only assembling the layout at a venue or exhibition. Almost all of us have room for a 5 foot board.
Malc 1236

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:11 pm

I'd be a no to a group layout. It just doesn't work. The doers are too busy doing thier own thing so nothing gets done. It would be good to get the test track going again but as a area group it's much better to just try and help each other with thier own projects.

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Have you thought of meeting in members' houses, taking turns to act as hosts? CRAG does this, mainly because we are so widespread - from Carlisle to Wensleydale - and it works pretty well, spreading the travelling load.

Ian (Cumbrian Region Area Group)

kelly

Postby kelly » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:21 pm

After speaking with Chris at Scaleforum, I think Jim's remarks of a test track (it doesn't have to be huge) would be a best approach rather than a layout.

I don't particularly like the idea of one suggestion of meeting at Warley's meeting rooms, which requires membership of the Warley club and the Warley club owning any layout we might build. Having thought on that, that to me is a no go, it is simply too much expense.

Additionally, if it is too far from Coventry (more than about 30 miles) then I cannot manage it without also brining along Natalie (who is not a s4 member) as in effect a carer as I'd be able to drive there but not back.

I await further suggestions wtih interest though.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

kelly

Postby kelly » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:02 pm

Ian Everett wrote:Have you thought of meeting in members' houses, taking turns to act as hosts? CRAG does this, mainly because we are so widespread - from Carlisle to Wensleydale - and it works pretty well, spreading the travelling load.

I'd be happy enough with this arrangement, though wouldn't be able to host as my 1bed ground floor flat really isn't big enough for it.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:49 pm

Ian Everett wrote:Have you thought of meeting in members' houses, taking turns to act as hosts? CRAG does this, mainly because we are so widespread - from Carlisle to Wensleydale - and it works pretty well, spreading the travelling load.

This method also works successfully for the BS4 and Glevum groups.

Malc in Brum

Postby Malc in Brum » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:24 pm

Has a venue for the meeting on the 18th been organised?

Chris Mitton

West Midlands Revival

Postby Chris Mitton » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:59 pm

Hi all

Apologies for lack of news, but Treasurer stuff keeps me busy at this time of the year.....

....I've written to all those who expressed an interest to me, and told them of the change of date, but in case anyone else wants to join in, the proposed meeting will now be on
Tuesday 25th October at 7 30 pm
at
Martin Heath Hall, Christ Church Lane, Lichfield, WS13 8AY (the hall is next door to Christ Church - see map)

We'll provide some refreshments and biccies - and if anyone wants to bring along any models to show off, please feel free :D

Look forward to seeing as many of you as can make it,
Regards
Chris

kelly

Postby kelly » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Hope the meeting goes well. Owing to car being due MOT and health etc I can't make it to this months meeting, but hopefully will manage future meetings.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

kelly

Postby kelly » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:44 pm

Did the meeting go ahead on the 25th? was hoping to hear how it went as I was unable to attend.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Return to “West Midlands”