Bachmann 08 Shunters

Model and prototype rolling stock, locos, multiple units etc.
triumph3

Bachmann 08 Shunters

Postby triumph3 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:06 pm

Having posted a photo of one of my converted Bachmann 08 shunters, it was pointed out that the number I had given it and the prototype did not match! I will own up and say that I do not know all the various detail differences between the batches.
My limited knowledge says that the principal differences are as follows:
1. Exhauster boxes on one side, or on both sides.
2.Different doors, but I dont know which is the wooden type and which is the alloy one!
3. Different cab windows.
So, the question is having now swapped the body on my 08 (thanks to Tony Wilkins) what is the condition of my model and what number series is it suitable for?
I have a range of numbers that I want to re number it too.
IMG_4820 (2).JPG

IMG_4821.JPG

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Daddyman

Re: Bachmann 08 Shunters

Postby Daddyman » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:40 pm

This any use?
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/143114-br ... nt-3497664

I can tell you yours has a wooden door - the window on the steel door has rounded corners and the door has two handles, one low-level. Yours also has the lipped edge to the running plate.

EDIT: I note the author of the thread I linked to above is bécasse, who is a member here and may be along shortly...

Porcy Mane

Postby Porcy Mane » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:27 pm

Wooden Doors "CHeck"
Wooden Drop Light "CHeck"
Herald in Low position "CHeck"
Rad Surround Green "CHeck"
Short hinges/green handles "CHeck"
Red Coupling rods "CHeck"
Flanged Running Plate "CHeck"

D3785 in 1959 condition looks to be a suitable contender. Only the front handrails would need repainting from white to black.

Things I can't tell from your pic. is whether the radiator cowl is green and how the electrical conduit is run on the rear of the cab.

Matches a colour photo by Dick Riley in book "The Liveries of B.R.Standard Shunters in Colour (1952-1996)" Book 2 by Steve Jordan.
Book 1, "B.R. Standard Electric Shunters in Colour by same author is a good reference for the different variations of the 08.

P
Last edited by Porcy Mane on Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:13 pm

L'anguille sous roche is that the Bachmann model has a wooden droplight in the side cab window which is incompatible with other features, notably the pressed body doors without hinge straps. The position of the BR crest indicates a Derby-built/overhauled loco and the last Derby-built loco with a wooden droplight was 13116 (with WR-style lampirons though) and the first with pressed body doors and vacuum exhauster boxes both sides was D3773. A triangular fillet under the valance at the rear end on both sides is missing, the precise shape varied but can be determined from photos.

This is the latest version of my 350hp shunter (which included classes 09 and 10 as well as 08) tabulations as updated yesterday. I try to keep them up-to-date but I haven't yet uploaded this table to RmWeb. Sadly most of the proprietary models manage to incorporate features which never occurred together on the real locos, most can be put right though.

08shunters.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bécasse on Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:19 pm

My standard substitution for the offending 'N' phrase is "fly in the ointment".

It is easy to avoid language that may cause offence with a little care when drafting.

(The French idiomatic expression used by David was "the eel under the stone", which is equally inoffensive.)

[I see that the posts that contained the offensive 'N' phrase, to which I referred above, have now been removed from this thread. Probably just as well.]

triumph3

Postby triumph3 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:23 pm

Gentlemen,
Thank you for assistance in helping me identify what number range my 08 should be. The spreadsheet supplied proved very helpful and as far as I can determine I will renumber the loco as D3752 as it has the closest number of matches and was allocated to Oxley from 1959 through to 1967.

David

Return to “Trains: Model and Prototype”