Fenland Freighter.

Model and prototype rolling stock, locos, multiple units etc.
Tony Wilkins

Fenland Freighter.

Postby Tony Wilkins » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:21 pm

In the early 1960s, there were several named Freight trains of which one was the Fenland Freighter.
An Ian Allen publication of the time entitled British Express Freight Trains contained the following information, which some may find of interest.
Fenland Freighter001.PNG

Oh well, that's three nominally named trains I should be attempting to replicate. The Lea Valley Enterprise and the Fenman express passenger train being the others.
Regards
Tony.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

hughesp87

Re: Fenland Freighter.

Postby hughesp87 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:57 pm

Interesting Tony. 14 minutes doesn't seem enough time to shunt at Ely, as the yard was on the down side. Perhaps the wagons were prepared in the up side loops to simplify the process.

Was there a balancing working in the down direction?

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

Noel

Postby Noel » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:01 am

hughesp87 wrote:14 minutes doesn't seem enough time to shunt at Ely, as the yard was on the down side. Perhaps the wagons were prepared in the up side loops to simplify the process.

The 1960 Class C [ignoring the parcels, etc. version] was an express freight of various types "pipe fitted throughout with with the automatic brake operative on not less than half the vehicles". The implication of the timing is definitely that the shunting was done by the yard pilot before the train arrived. The train engine can then collect and put the vehicles on the front, or the pilot can remove the van, collect and put the vehicles and van on the back. Add a few minutes to make and test the brake, and off you go; it probably requires smart work by all involved, but it should be achievable [and questions would almost certainly be asked by authority if it wasn't]. No need to sort for destination as Temple Mills will do that.

hughesp87 wrote:Was there a balancing working in the down direction?

Probably not a specific class C, I would think, as it is specifically describe as an 'Up' service, and "preserves, canned and frozen food from firms at Kings Lynn, Histon and this area is the main traffic". Most of the inbound traffic would be empties or non-perishable, so a class D or E would be able to take anything requiring faster transit.
Regards
Noel

Noel

Postby Noel » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:08 pm

Tony Wilkins wrote:Oh well, that's three nominally named trains I should be attempting to replicate. The Lea Valley Enterprise and the Fenman express passenger train being the others.

The Lea Valley Enterprise was introduced 11/1959, I believe, and is seen here https://www.britishpathe.com/video/stills/out-takes-cuts-from-cp-329-reel-2-of-2-electronic, from 7:36 to 8:16, with good views of the headboard and wagon labels. I don't think the headboard lasted too long, and I have not found photographs of wagon labels dated to later than 1962 or "early 1960s".

The Fenland Freighter was apparently more or less contemporary, presumably part of the same initiative, and by the same team, as the Lea Valley Enterprise. It looks as though the label was very much in the same style too, with just a name change, so quite possibly it was the same colour as well.
Regards
Noel

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:47 pm

Hi Noel.
Thanks for the link to those film stills. An interesting selection.
The Loco and brake would have been taken at Northumberland Park yard, which is where the Lea Valley Enterprise officially started from and the shunting shown took place at Broxbourne. I am sure you are correct that the wagons for the train would have been formed into a rake ready to be attached by the train loco. Interesting that the train is made up of mostly vans and a couple of them with tarpaulins too. Although the headboard and labels probably did not last that long, I believe the train workings themselves continued operating for some years into the mid / late 60s although with fewer pick ups as the years passed and yards closed, but just became another freight train.
Even the Fenman although shown as such in the passenger timetable did not appear to carry specific markings for long.
Thanks again.
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

Return to “Trains: Model and Prototype”