Wheels for Loco Drivers, Pony / Bogie

Model and prototype rolling stock, locos, multiple units etc.
LesGros

Wheels for Loco Drivers, Pony / Bogie

Postby LesGros » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:29 pm

This new thread is about Loco Wheels and relating prototype to what is available.

It has been triggered by a disapointing lack of response from Alan Gibson workshop, who are not responding to my telephone, email or Fax enquiries.

The first question is why no response? has something untoward happened to Colin and Chris?

I have a particular, and increasing, urgency to obtain a set of wheels and crankpins for the Comet/Backmann BR 2-6-4T before next week. Drivers 5' 8", pony/Bogie 3'. (Crank pin throw not yet known; position of crankpin boss also not known at this point)

A related question is: Are there any other suppliers around who might have suitable Gibson wheels and P4 axles?

I would be grateful for any answers to the above please.
regards
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

dcockling

Re: Wheels for Loco Drivers, Pony / Bogie

Postby dcockling » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi Les,

I would guess (and I am only guessing) that the simple answer is going to be "run off their feet". I spoke to Colin a few weeks ago and he was very busy then trying to build up stock ready for Glasgow which was a three day show. That also means that he would have been out of the shop probably from Thursday only getting back in yesterday, so five days away for a three day show. He probably had a mountain of messages waiting for him including yours when he got back. If you look at his website you'll see that he has York, another three day show at the beginning of April, not so far to go so he'll probably be away for four days rather than five, but he'll be busy building up his stock again during the coming month.

I've never had any problem getting hold of Colin so I'd give him another try tomorrow, I doubt if there is any more to it than that, disappointing but just persevere. I can't help with the wheels I'm afraid.

No connection, but I know how it goes.

All the Best
Danny

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:36 pm

urgency to obtain a set of wheels and crankpins for the Comet/Backmann BR 2-6-4T before next week.

Are you intending to build the Comet chassis or just fit a conversion set in the Bachmann chassis?
AG have the wheels for both and all the details are on their website.
http://www.scalefour.org/ag/rewheellist.htm for conversion sets, ref 4800/22
http://www.scalefour.org/ag/ag4det/wheeltbl1.htm for the standard 1/8" axles, item 4868ST
In each case that is for driving wheels only, the bogie/pony wheels are
http://www.scalefour.org/ag/ag4det/wheeltbl2.htm, ref 4836ST
If you need crank pins as well you need 4M42 from
http://www.scalefour.org/ag/ag4.htm#Wheels

make sure to order the P4 version.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Thanks Keith,
For the helpful links, one of which includes the missing info on crank throw and boss. The main problem was that of establishing two way communication to pay for the order placed by email.

It was discovered that Mainly Trains keeps a small stock of Gibson finescale wheels; Dave Cleel was very helpful.

A little later, Colin eventually called me, with an apology for failing to reply to my email of several days ago. Danny was correct in his assessment about how busy; Colin is working solo this week which did not help. Our discussion and customer feedback was amicable as I had already made allowances for Glasgow activity. If the A9 had not been snowed up we would have made it to Model Rail Scotland and the unfortunate situation would probably not have arisen. I now should get the wheels from Colin in time for this weekend's planned activity.

Incidentally, and to answer Keith; I am building the comet chassis. The chassis / body package arrived this afternoon and it all looks very neat.
The Backmann shell is nicely detailed and ready to go (weathering optional) ideal for a beginner like myself whose painting skills are undeveloped.

I will try taking a few piccies, and if OK, post them on a suitable thread later.

regards,
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

Return to “Trains: Model and Prototype”