Bachmann Mk1 Coach Upgrade

Model and prototype rolling stock, locos, multiple units etc.
RAO

Bachmann Mk1 Coach Upgrade

Postby RAO » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:00 pm

I'm in the process of upgrading a Bachmann Mk1 C coach. I've managed to obtain a Southern Pride P109 Moulded U/F Fittings and Etched brass BR MK1 Fittings, has any of you got any instructions. Thanks
IMG_6467[1].JPG

IMG_6466[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Horsetan

Re: Bachmann Mk1 Coach Upgrade

Postby Horsetan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:47 pm

The detail fret is P108 in the Southern Pride list. I'm not sure they were supplied with any instructions, but the fret contains, amongst other things:

Door "T" handles
Grab handles
V-hangers for the underframe
Makers' plates
Pipework
Rainstrips for the roof

Those are the bits I can identify from your photo.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

RAO

Postby RAO » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:06 pm

Thank you for your reply.
I'm also looking also at HMRS Mark 1 Coaching Stock of British Railways which provides a lot of information and photographs.
The coach that I am detailing is a Non Corridor Composite diagram 311 running numbers 41000-42, 41049-59.
One item I am missing is which were coaches were allocated to the Western Region.

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:25 am

41056/7/8/9.

Chris

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:39 am

The info Chris has given is in the Appendices in the Supplement to the original book, which is still available from the HMRS [although not just at the moment!] should you want it (Just for info and not intended as a criticism of asking on here).

I was a bit concerned by the labelling on the moulded underframe parts shown in your photo, which doesn't specify which length of underframe it is intended for, so had a look at the website, http://www.southernpridemodels.co.uk/ and found in 'Introduction & Information'/'Notes & Additional Information' in the left hand navigation bar that "(2) All Suburban coaches are based on 64' underframes as used on the W.R. and the S.R.", so I presume that P109 is intended for a 64ft underframe? Diagram 311 as you will be aware is a 9 compartment vehicle on the 57ft underframe; the differences are shown on p15 of Mark 1 Coaches.
Regards
Noel

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:43 pm

Noel wrote:....I presume that P109 is intended for a 64ft underframe? ....

It is.

EDIT: The complete truss assembly that is included in P109 could be used to improve something like an ancient Kitmaster Mk.1 - it's all plastic at the end of the day.
Last edited by Horsetan on Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:12 pm

If you really want to upgrade your mk1, then download the Masokits catalogue and advance to page 4. Mike has produced some lovely etches to lift the Bachmann coach. Be warned, these are fiddly, but worth the effort. I can't see much on that sprue that shouldn't be on the Bachmann coach already.

https://traders.scalefour.org/masokits/

Mike

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:46 pm

I've got what is possibly [probably?] the same chassis under a non-corridor third acquired a few years ago, Mike, and am not particularly impressed. The major components are there, but there are also visible major compromises, presumably for production reasons. If I ever decide to upgrade it I would look to replace the whole chassis, although possibly not with Southern pride parts. It's not high on my list of things to do at present.
Regards
Noel

RAO

Postby RAO » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:15 pm

Thanks Chris for the numbers as sadly whilst I've ordered the HMRS supplement but it cannot be posted at the moment.
Thanks Noel, I think the alteration to the sorter 57' underframe I think is achievable without too much complications, I hope! If you aren't going to use 'Southern Pride upgrade what do you advise?
Thanks Mike, looked at Masokits looks good, hopefully I can purchase some parts.
I think I might enter it for the Challenge as I've not yet started it.

Noel

Postby Noel » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:09 am

RAO wrote:If you aren't going to use 'Southern Pride upgrade what do you advise?

I have the whitemetal castings from an MTK GUV which I messed up irretrievably many years ago, which are quite reasonable. I haven't got as far as thinking about how to produce the central bracing yet; "T" section brass, perhaps, if a small enough section is available at the time. As I said, it's not high on my [very long] to do list, I'm afraid.
Regards
Noel

Crepello

Postby Crepello » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:30 pm

Noel wrote:I've got what is possibly [probably?] the same chassis under a non-corridor third acquired a few years ago, Mike, and am not particularly impressed.

Is it the Masokits version you are referring to?

Noel

Postby Noel » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:11 pm

The original Bachmann.
Regards
Noel

Return to “Trains: Model and Prototype”